By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - chromatic aberration the new bloom lighting. It needs to die

DonFerrari said:
HoloDust said:

To be honest, my photography days are some 25+ years in the past, but I don't quite see how something that is optical problem of the lens has any good purpose.

Some artistic photos can make good use of some "defects" and "unwanted" effects from some lenses... but that is quite out of the standard and serve specific purposes depending on the photo.

Can you show one photograph that makes good use of chromatic aberration. All I can find online is how to avoid it.

There are a lot of popular effects in movies, yet I don't think chromatic aberration is one of them. It's been showing up more since the move to digital cameras that suffer more from chromatic aberration than film.

Anyway it seems dusty lenses are on the retreat, that got quite bad at some point as well.  Except in VR when my glasses and the headset are dusty, no need to add it in game as well :) CA will go too once the next unwanted effect becomes the new thing.

Around the Network

I don't notice it at all.

I actually like Bloom aswell. It gives games a sunny feeling. But, i'm all up for graphics (and fps) options.

Thankfully, some games let you disable this feature, arf.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Yep.. dont care for Chromatic aberration.

SvennoJ said:
DonFerrari said:

Some artistic photos can make good use of some "defects" and "unwanted" effects from some lenses... but that is quite out of the standard and serve specific purposes depending on the photo.

Can you show one photograph that makes good use of chromatic aberration. All I can find online is how to avoid it.

There are a lot of popular effects in movies, yet I don't think chromatic aberration is one of them. It's been showing up more since the move to digital cameras that suffer more from chromatic aberration than film.

Anyway it seems dusty lenses are on the retreat, that got quite bad at some point as well.  Except in VR when my glasses and the headset are dusty, no need to add it in game as well :) CA will go too once the next unwanted effect becomes the new thing.

I won't a deep research for it =~p ... because anyway this have no place on VGs.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
DonFerrari said:

It's not a sensor vs old fashioned film issue.

It's a lens issue, most lenses that people buy today are crap (given they are much cheaper then they can be) and one sideeffect is more CA.

Otherwise you are on piont, CA is never a wanted effect in photographs.

Bristow9091 said:
Can't say I ever notice it, and I don't even know what I'm supposed to be looking at in that Lost Sphear screenshot o.O

Look around the edges of the screen and the ship on the right hand side. You will see it slightly blurry and green line on the ship that doesn't need to be there. Might be a little harder to see since Switch only allows 720P screenshots. It's not motionblur but does look like some vasiline on the edges of the screen. It gets much worse in parts of the game with bright towns.  I took 2 more screen grabs. The worst part is remember the paper filter in Okami? That was a style choice and is fine but in this game you can see some sort of filter at times I don't think the game intended for the player to see and it's splotches on a dirty lens kinda thing.

While most the time you see this all over the place not just the corners.

It's pretty fun. Pretty much an old school RPG. Nothing mindblowing. If you want SE online store sells physical copies. PS4 and Switch.

I'm definitely not a fan of that technique, either. The games look so much better with it turned off. But, as long as there's an option in the menu to toggle it, I don't see a problem with including it for those who do like it.

Spindel said:
SvennoJ said:

It's not a sensor vs old fashioned film issue.

It's a lens issue, most lenses that people buy today are crap (given they are much cheaper then they can be) and one sideeffect is more CA.

Otherwise you are on piont, CA is never a wanted effect in photographs.

Digital sensors contributes to the problem, it is mostly lens though.

A digital camera quantizes the light more coarsely than a piece of film. Consider if the lens has 3 microns of chromatic aberration. ... 3 microns is enough to significantly spill into the neighboring pixel, so the amount of chromatic aberration appears to have doubled compared to film. They also see color differently.

A better lens will of course help more than switching back to film. With film it also gets more easily lost in the grain. Digital pictures are already far higher resolution than (normal sized) film was capable of. Any defect will show.

Another popular effect that's sometimes overdone is color tone changes for scenes. It's very weird to walk into another section and the color artificially changes. Simulating lens filters perhaps.