By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - When does the 3DS line get a price cut, and how much?

tak13 said:
zorg1000 said:
Current prices
2DS w/game-$79.99
New 2DS XL-$149.99
New 3DS XL-$199.99

N3DS XL will likely be phased out this year with no official price cut, just various retailer discounts to get rid of stock.h

2DS is so low that it has no need for a price cut. If you wont spend $80 for a console and a game than you just dont want one.

N2DS XL will probably get temporary discounts to $99.99 this holiday.

2DS/N2DS will be phased out in 2019.

Nintendo shipped 40k gba units in other region in 2010, 130k for ds in 2014 in Americas/others region and even 20k 2015? Are you sure that 3ds would get discontinued before 2020? Switch has no bc and 3ds hasn't hit the point of saturation in the west.

You are talking about such insignificant numbers here that its pretty much irrelevant.

Sure, maybe 3DS will get shipments of 50k in 2020, doesnt really change what i said.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

I don't see a price cut happening

Feel like the price will remain the same till it's discontinued

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

A prince drop seems unlikely at this point in time, but if one were to happen, I figured a drop would only be about 20-40 USDs off.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

I think Nintendo is pretty much going to ride the 3ds out into profitability. They won't sell that thing lower than the profit point is because of the age of the device (software sales are decreasing consistently on the device to the point where hardware sales aren't as money pumping as they used to be) and the fact that the Switch is selling so well for a profit.

I know the 3ds was probably sold for a loss after that $80 price reduction in its first year that many don't remember, so Nintendo may want to recover loss in the early years by selling less and making more profit rather than selling more and less profit. I personally don't think we will see a price reduction until Nintendo stops making them and just wants to sell through their shipments.

sonnyb123 said:
I wouldn’t count on it. The Wii U’s last price cut was over three years before it was discontinued, so it’s not like every system will be guaranteed one at any point.

And I think that put them into the non profit  point on each Wii U, which is why it never received another. Though I have no idea what Nintendo is going to do with their extra Wii U's at this point. The Switch has basically done what the Wii U was meant to do and now is getting more and more of the Wii U exclusives ported over. Every few months there is less point to anyone ever buying a Wii U because of the ports.

Around the Network

I'm not really sure they have any incentive to offer a price cut at this point. They have models ranging from expensive to very cheap, so if any late-comer is suddenly struck by the urge they'll have plenty of options to choose from.

Nintendo has shown many times that they may not offer the price cuts that most others would consider obvious and warranted... They may indeed cut the price or wait until they're trying to sell off the rest of their supply, but there's no reason to simply assume that they will before then.

In 6 years and by $4.38 with Nintendo's track record lol