By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Why the British economy has done better than expected since the Brexit vote

BRITAIN has agreed to pay up to £39billion in a Brexit divorce bill as Theresa May pushes for a trade deal with the EU.

Even if Britain didnt make a net positive from being a member of eu, it ll be years before leaveing it, results in anything positive.

Around the Network
OneTime said:

Here’s an interesting piece of information that may challenge your “UK still has a British Empire”:  other countries in Europe just don’t care enough to worry about a deal.  Why would they?  The EU may be 50% of the UK’s trade, but the UK is only 3% of any other county’s trade.

The rest of the EU forgot that  Brexit happened within a week...  they just need to get stuff moved from London to Frankfurt in an orderly fashion.

Wtf are you on about?

Frankfurt or Paris might pick up any business that has to be done inside but if you think London's success is because of the EU, you're deluded. Are you one of those who think the EU is responsible for peace in Europe too?

ArchangelMadzz said:
Brexit hasn't even happened..

Some of the predictions were supposed to happen immediately/before leaving.

palou said:

Since when is the EU protectionist? The union has actively (and successfully - the EU is the world’s largest exporter and importer, the former by a fair margin) promoted increased trade on a global scale, not to speak of the clearly anti-protectionist nature of the existance of such a single market, in the first place

Does the EU impose tariffs on countries outside the EU? Quotas? Restrictive regulation?

numberwang said:

GB pays about 10 billion pounds more into the EU than they get back every year - a major economic boost if they can keep their money in the future.

10Bn is peanuts compared to the 130Bn+ we'd save by not imposing tariffs on non-EU countries.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

numberwang said:
palou said:

It’s normal for the stronger economies to contribute within a trade union. 

And 10b is NOT a lo5 fo4 an economy the suze of the UK, in a year (0.3 percent.)

That is the equivalent to ca. 60 billion $ every year for the US, which could fund 4 border walls every year. I heard some consider that just 'too expensive'.

Well, you would need to compare it to what is at stake - the UK exports 230 billion to the EU, and imports 300 billion (that’s in pounds, so convert that.) So you would need to wager how much of that would be reduced, in the context of a hard brexit.

Bet with PeH: 

I win if Arms sells over 700 000 units worldwide by the end of 2017.

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

I win if Emmanuel Macron wins the french presidential election May 7th 2017.

JRPGfan said:
BRITAIN has agreed to pay up to £39billion in a Brexit divorce bill as Theresa May pushes for a trade deal with the EU.

Even if Britain didnt make a net positive from being a member of eu, it ll be years before leaveing it, results in anything positive.

This is why we should leave immediately and remove all tariffs. Unilaterally if necessary.

numberwang said:
palou said:

It’s normal for the stronger economies to contribute within a trade union. 

And 10b is NOT a lo5 fo4 an economy the suze of the UK, in a year (0.3 percent.)

That is the equivalent to ca. 60 billion $ every year for the US, which could fund 4 border walls every year. I heard some consider that just 'too expensive'.

Lol - 0.3% of GDP is a bargain for free trade access to 700 million consumers.

Around the Network
Pyro as Bill said:
Those expectations/predictions were from by the same crony 'capitalists' who said we'd all die if the banks weren't bailed out. Protectionists and their lobbyists have the loudest voice because of their large propaganda funds and political/media connections.

There will be some kind of downturn because the economy has to rebalance away from EU protectionism towards free trade. Some companies will have to take a hit but that's beneficial long term. I hope the disruption is enough to kill off some of our zombie companies that would already be dead without low interest rates.

The UK government has handled it badly. They should have informed the EU that we're leaving on WTO terms come 2019. If the EU wants to offer a deal before that, we'll consider it. I have a little bit of hope that they intend to play ball on negotiations but make it so humiliating that parliament has to vote it down.

The answer from the EU would have been "Goodbye and good riddance" and "why are we even negotiating then?"

It's on the british to offer a deal, not the european. The brits wanted out, not the european wanted the brits to leave.

Pyro as Bill said:
JRPGfan said:

This is why we should leave immediately and remove all tariffs. Unilaterally if necessary.

I think that you need to look up what unilateral means...  In any case the EU is about consumer protection legislation, not tariffs.  Import tax is pretty low to the EU.  It’s things like anti-slavery, environmental impact and safety that form the bulk trade deals...

....and the EU doesn’t want the UK to be a back door to this.  Hence the problem...

OneTime said:
Pyro as Bill said:

I think that you need to look up what unilateral means...  In any case the EU is about consumer protection legislation, not tariffs.  Import tax is pretty low to the EU.  It’s things like anti-slavery, environmental impact and safety that form the bulk trade deals...

....and the EU doesn’t want the UK to be a back door to this.  Hence the problem...

The excuses for protectionism never change.

I think it has more to do with the UK having the ability to abolish VAT and corporation tax tbh but that might just be the Irish.

Pyro as Bill said:
OneTime said:

I think it has more to do with the UK having the ability to abolish VAT and corporation tax tbh but that might just be the Irish.

Anyways someone should necrobump this page in 2020-2021, a year or so after the effects of Brexit actually come into play.

Then we ll know if it was a smart move or not to leave the EU.

Worst comes to worst, the britains can always come back and say "we re sorry, we missed being part of eu, it isnt going well for us, can you let us back in?" and they ll probably just be welcomed back in.

Pyro as Bill said:
OneTime said:

Sure - call it protectionism, but leaving to EU isn’t going to result in any of that changing.  Just look at the outcry from Grenfeld towers.  If anything, we’re gonna spend even more money duplicating Brussels regulation.  Just with subtle differences so that it’s a costly pain fo companies to deal with both EU and UK law...