By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Emily Rogers: Lots of Switch Ports For 2018; NSMBU Switch Port Coming?

I'm not too worried, Nintendo must have something big planned to forecast 20m for FY 2018. Plus I'm sure if sales slow beyond their liking they can bundle or maybe price drop, then drop more killer apps in 2019.

Around the Network

I think people should be ok with that...unless they charge the price of a new game.

Many people didn´t played WiiU games and there´s plenty of good games there. My only concern is that if they decided to port too many games from the WiiU, it will devalue it as a collector piece (not that Nintendo would care about that, anyway)

PortisheadBiscuit said:
I'm not too worried, Nintendo must have something big planned to forecast 20m for FY 2018. Plus I'm sure if sales slow beyond their liking they can bundle or maybe price drop, then drop more killer apps in 2019.

I have sort of mentioned this before, but Nintendo does have a tendency to either overestimate or underestimate themselves. Their 2012 (April 2012- March 2013) targets and sales are a good example of that. In that period they expected to ship 9 million Wii Us and 18 million 3DSs; the actual results ended up being 2.72 million units Wii Us shipped and about 13 million 3DSs shipped. While it is true that Nintendo could have more planned for this year (I certainly hope they do, and I hope they get those plans rolling as soon as possible because the competition with regards to software this year is though), there is also the chance that Nintendo believes Wii U ports (which granted are still new to many new Switch buyers), third-party ports, maybe 1 major release and a few more niche games, and LABO is what they need to carry the system to 20 million. With Sony basically replicating Nintendo's 2017 schedule of about 1 major new game per month, Nintendo's lack of response is going to leave it fighting for attention. Last year Zelda and SMO (helped by titles like Splatoon 2, ARMS, Mario and Rabbids) were huge talking points for Nintendo and Switch, and while it is true that there still those that want those games that do not have a Switch yet, Nintendo does not in 2018 have something comparable to enter into the conversation (one that is increasingly being dominated by MHW, GoW, RDR 2, even Sea of Thieves) for gamers. Right now I think we are heading for a repeat of 2012 (maybe in a less dramatic way though) where they have high expectations for a system that does not really have the software lineup to back it up in the midst of strong competition. Unless they have a good answer to that competition, then not only do I not see them not hitting 20M but I can easily see their momentum dramatically drop regardless of their own predictions (which would be catastrophic for a system like Switch which still needs to increase its installbase); I am also unsure how effective bundles and a moderate (lets say $50) price drop would be when the competition has lots of high profile new games, lots of bundles, and is likely going to get a price drop that will undercut the price drop that Switch might receive.

nemo37 said:
Kai_Mao said:

It's still gonna take some time, especially for the software development teams who have been working on handheld titles. Not sure how much they learned about HD development at the same time as the teams who were making HD games. They still have to get used to actually programming, engineering, and designing under more expensive and more complicated hardware compared to the 3DS. And new HD games are still gonna be in development for at least a few years. When you look at upcoming PS4 games like God of War, Spiderman, and The Last of Us 2, it will take them about 3 years of development (about 4 if TLOU2 releases in 2019) before they eventually release, even though they were officially announced a year or two earlier from their release. Who knows how long some of these new games on the Switch have been under development.

I do wonder if we are even dealing with a unified development effort right now. Nintendo is working on mobile, there may still be 1 or 2 3DS projects in the works (so long as we are talking about rumours, there are some regarding a Zelda 3DS and Wario 3DS game), along with Switch.

I am quite a bit worried right now though for Switch. Nintendo so far does not have much to counter the strong library that Sony is presenting (MHW's incredible performance really makes me wonder why Nintendo did not have some major IP ready at close range to at least have some hype going). If Switch fades from people's minds, then its sales will easily fade as well (and it needs those early sales right now to build its installbase).

Besides DBFZ and MHW, Sony’s biggest games of this year were announced ~2 years ago and have been in development for ~3-4 years. Nintendo, besides a few exceptions like Zelda, Xenoblade X, and #FE, hasn’t released games with more than a 1-1.5 year difference between first trailer and release.

Last edited by Kai_Mao - on 29 January 2018

Kai_Mao said:
nemo37 said:

I do wonder if we are even dealing with a unified development effort right now. Nintendo is working on mobile, there may still be 1 or 2 3DS projects in the works (so long as we are talking about rumours, there are some regarding a Zelda 3DS and Wario 3DS game), along with Switch.

I am quite a bit worried right now though for Switch. Nintendo so far does not have much to counter the strong library that Sony is presenting (MHW's incredible performance really makes me wonder why Nintendo did not have some major IP ready at close range to at least have some hype going). If Switch fades from people's minds, then its sales will easily fade as well (and it needs those early sales right now to build its installbase).

Besides DBFZ and MHW, Sony’s biggest games of this year were announced ~2 years ago and have been in development for ~3-4 years. Nintendo, besides a few exceptions like Zelda, Xenoblade X, and #FE, hasn’t released games with more than a 1-1.5 year difference between first trailer and release.

I doubt Prime 4, Bayo 3, or Pokémon are releasing this year or in that 1.5 year time span. Would love for Nintendo to prove me wrong as these are the games I'm looking forward too (well besides Pokémon,  to be honest don't care about that one).

Around the Network

edit-wrong thread

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

No More Heroes 3
Bayonetta 3
Metroid Prime 4
Pokémon

If we get two of those four this year and the other two in 2019, I’d be really happy.

Keep Project Octopath Traveler, Shin Megami Tensei V, Kirby, Yoshi, and Fire Emblem locked in for 2018 and that’d also be great.

Make sure that Wolfenstein 2, Mega Man 11, Mega Man X collection (and both Mega Man collections), and Street Fighter 30th anniversary collection are all solid efforts on Nintendo Switch and I’ll be happy on that end.

Properly promote Bayonetta 1&2, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, and Hyrule Warriors to people who never bought them before and advertise the heck out of Labo.

I feel like what I already wrote out is a pretty solid 2018, but throw in a few surprises like a new Wave Race that gets revealed in February for a late June, Summer release, perhaps an ultra port of Super Smash Bros. with all content from the Wii U and 3DS versions plus a couple of new characters/stages, 8 new tracks and 2 new battle courses coming to Mario Kart 8: Deluxe, 3 new worlds coming to Super Mario Odyssey, one unexpected big Nintendo game for the holidays...maybe from Retro Studios, and a couple of surprise 3rd party exclusives, as well as versions of new third party games as they get released on other systems.

If most of that happens this year, Nintendo Switch would have a very healthy second year on the market. Here’s hoping!

bigtakilla said:
Kai_Mao said:

I doubt Prime 4, Bayo 3, or Pokémon are releasing this year or in that 1.5 year time span. Would love for Nintendo to prove me wrong as these are the games I'm looking forward too (well besides Pokémon,  to be honest don't care about that one).

Again I said with a few exceptions. Whether they’ll make it this year or not depends on how far along they were in development at the time and how fast they can get it done without compromising quality.

Kai_Mao said:
bigtakilla said:

Again I said with a few exceptions. Whether they’ll make it this year or not depends on how far along they were in development at the time and how fast they can get it done without compromising quality.

Gotcha, I was just giving more recent examples.

nemo37 said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:

I have sort of mentioned this before, but Nintendo does have a tendency to either overestimate or underestimate themselves. Their 2012 (April 2012- March 2013) targets and sales are a good example of that. In that period they expected to ship 9 million Wii Us and 18 million 3DSs; the actual results ended up being 2.72 million units Wii Us shipped and about 13 million 3DSs shipped. While it is true that Nintendo could have more planned for this year (I certainly hope they do, and I hope they get those plans rolling as soon as possible because the competition with regards to software this year is though), there is also the chance that Nintendo believes Wii U ports (which granted are still new to many new Switch buyers), third-party ports, maybe 1 major release and a few more niche games, and LABO is what they need to carry the system to 20 million. With Sony basically replicating Nintendo's 2017 schedule of about 1 major new game per month, Nintendo's lack of response is going to leave it fighting for attention. Last year Zelda and SMO (helped by titles like Splatoon 2, ARMS, Mario and Rabbids) were huge talking points for Nintendo and Switch, and while it is true that there still those that want those games that do not have a Switch yet, Nintendo does not in 2018 have something comparable to enter into the conversation (one that is increasingly being dominated by MHW, GoW, RDR 2, even Sea of Thieves) for gamers. Right now I think we are heading for a repeat of 2012 (maybe in a less dramatic way though) where they have high expectations for a system that does not really have the software lineup to back it up in the midst of strong competition. Unless they have a good answer to that competition, then not only do I not see them not hitting 20M but I can easily see their momentum dramatically drop regardless of their own predictions (which would be catastrophic for a system like Switch which still needs to increase its installbase); I am also unsure how effective bundles and a moderate (lets say $50) price drop would be when the competition has lots of high profile new games, lots of bundles, and is likely going to get a price drop that will undercut the price drop that Switch might receive.

That was quite lengthy...

I think the mix of 2nd tier titles, evergreen titles from 2017, and the possibility of price dropping and bundling will carry them through 2018. We also have no idea how Labo will perform but early signs are positive. 

Switch drastically dropping off in performance, despite being the highest demand console of 2017, is just paranoia at this point.