By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game Developers Conference (GDC) shows increased interest in Switch.

killeryoshis said:

Increased support? Makes sense since it was close to zero last time. Anyway it is obvious that Switch 3rd party support will peak around 2019-2020. I won't be surprised if that's when the sales start to peak around that time. It will also be the time for Nintendo's 2nd wave of big 1st party titles. So a Switch explosion during that time will definitively be possible.

Also the 76% figure for switch games doing at or above sales of other platforms just scream good news. It looks like it will be harder for devs to want to skip out of the Switch bar any big powered games.

Edit: Also who in the world is making PS3 and 360 games in  2018? That percentage should be zero! They are also developing for the Wii U as well! 

meh, must be EA that is still releasing FIFA on x360 and ps3. ea should be big enough to worth 3% of the devs...

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
JEMC said:

"5% Developers still think the Switch will sell less Worldwide than Wii U." - They're either trolling or are extremely out of touch with reality.

(...)

They are clueless. If you told those folks that third party games don't sell on Nintendo consoles, they'd immediately sign it because they live in a bubble.

EDIT: Neither of the two sources in the OP contains such a statement, so who knows if it's true. But I do remember from last year's report that it was deemed an optimistic expectation for Switch to sell more than Wii U, so the respondents of GDC surveys aren't particularly smart.

actually, if you download the full report of the GDC, there's this statement :

Devs are overwhelmingly confident Nintendo’s Switch will outsell the Wii U

Last year, when polled about whether or not they thought the Switch would outsell Nintendo’s Wii U (which at that point had an install base of roughly 13 million, worldwide) in its lifetime, 50 percent of our survey respondents said yes, the Switch will outperform the Wii U. 14 percent predicted it wouldn’t, and 37 percent admitted they had no idea. This year we asked the same question again, and as you might expect, dev confidence in the Switch (which has now sold over 10 million units) is riding high. 73 percent of respondents said yes, Switch will definitely outsell the Wii U in its lifetime, 5 percent said no way, and 22 percent said they still weren’t sure.

People are reading too much into the "Wii U outselling the Switch" answers. That, or they want to push a narrative. A good percentage of these developers probably don't care about consoles and have no idea what the sales numbers are for any of them. There are more of them making smartphone games than PS4 games--that should tell you something about the nature of the attendees. There are roughly as many people there making browser games as Switch games.

It's just background noise.

Flilix said:

Switch sales graph, according to 5% of the developers:

Graph looks legit, so it must be true! Nintendo was doomed after all

JEMC said:

"5% Developers still think the Switch will sell less Worldwide than Wii U." - They're either trolling or are extremely out of touch with reality.

Good results for Switch and its games. Having a bit more than 1/3 of the devs interested in the platform is a good sign, and that 3/4 of its games perform good or very good is even better.

Xbox numbers surprise me. I thought they would be higher than Switch and almost on par with PS4 given how both share a lot of multiplats.

And good numbers for PC!

The bad news is that 1 out of 10 upcoming games will have loot boxes.

I'm starting to wonder if they have legit interest in PC for actual gaming, or general interest in PC because of the low development costs and free beta testers. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network

"5% Developers still think the Switch will sell less Worldwide than Wii U"

who are these people ? are they Indie devs extremely out of touch with the industry or just devs in teams that never looked and never will look at putting their games on Switch (i.e. Battlefield/AC/RDR2 ) ?

Well, there was only way for that graph to point; interest levels last year were atrocious. A massive improvement but still a low figure.

pokoko said:
JEMC said:

Good results for Switch and its games. Having a bit more than 1/3 of the devs interested in the platform is a good sign, and that 3/4 of its games perform good or very good is even better.

Xbox numbers surprise me. I thought they would be higher than Switch and almost on par with PS4 given how both share a lot of multiplats.

And good numbers for PC!

Xbox numbers are higher than the Switch in terms of concrete support.  I don't really know what to make of the "interested" category.  

I wouldn't worry that much about the "loot box" percentage.  Probably a lot of them are mobile developers.

The Xbox has been on the market what, 3 more years than Switch? Of course it has to have more concrete support. The opposite would be very alarming for MSoft.

As for interested, who knows. Maybe they're thinking on the game after the next game as the OP said. Or maybe it's that they wanted to develop for it but they were waiting to see if it was a fad or not and how third party software sells on the platform. We'll see how are those numbers next year.

And I really, really hope those games with loot boxes are mostly mobile. But I doubt it.

Chazore said:
JEMC said:

And good numbers for PC!

I'm starting to wonder if they have legit interest in PC for actual gaming, or general interest in PC because of the low development costs and free beta testers. 

Have you ever tried to be positive? You know, just once every now and then. You would life longer .

Jokes aside, they only care about which platform they'll be able to launch their games and get the most profit with less expenses, and PC is a good place for that. That some games are alarmingly bad is a side effect of that, but having some criteria and doing some research before buying make them only a nuisance.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Luke888 said:
"5% Developers still think the Switch will sell less Worldwide than Wii U"

who are these people ? are they Indie devs extremely out of touch with the industry or just devs in teams that never looked and never will look at putting their games on Switch (i.e. Battlefield/AC/RDR2 ) ?

The numbers are right there.  PC leads the way with a big drop off for consoles.  Mobile is second.  That likely means the people taking the survey are mostly small developers with no plans for console development.  A segment of mobile developers, in particular, probably don't know or care anything about console sales.

And if there is a strong representation there from developers like Rockstar or Dice then they're probably up giving lectures, not answering surveys.  

I'm just waiting on Icey to release on Switch.