By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is the 360 in trouble?

*~Onna76~* said:

How funny, PS3 is already selling more than the 360 worldwide just in case you haven't noticed it.

The PS3 sold more WW last year too, so it's been doing it for a long time. That has very little bering on the 360 if sales keep going up (and they have).

Around the Network

nevermind..

''Hadouken!''

Ajax: you're misinterpreting what Sony said. They said that the PS3 will have a 10 year life span, just like the PSX and PS2. They never implied that they wouldn't replace the PS3 after 6 years, and I can tell you that Sony fully intends to replace the PS3 when it is about six years old. They're not going to wait a decade to release a new console.

Saying that MS is in worse shape this generation because they're going to come in third place instead of second misses reality, and cherry-picks one nearly-irrelevent fact.

Microsoft's immediate goal is to generate  a profit with their Xbox division.  If they can do it by dominating the market, that's fine.  If they can do it in third place, that's fine.  They're closer to actual profitabiliy (year-to-year, not overall) with the 360 than they ever were with the Xbox. 

The 360 is in trouble if MS simply sits on the situation and does continue to try and improve sales. I doubt this will happen.

Trying to predict future sales of a product by looking at a 2-3 month window of sales is fraught with peril.

Now, if the PS3 and Wii were already established and the 360 had just been out 1 year, then I would really worry that the platform wasn't viable for the long haul. That, however, isn't the situation. My guess is that the buying habits are affected by the length of time and season in ways that make it difficult to understand where things are ultimately headed.

tombi123 said:

By in trouble, I meant getting outsold by its competitors.

The only system sellers the 360 has this year are Fable 2 and Gears2. Almost all GoW fans already own a 360, so it won't push that many consoles. Is Fable 2 coming to the PC? NG2, BK3 are just not system sellers, unless BK3 gets 90+% reviews, which is very unlikely.

The PS3 can counter that with one game, MGS4. MGS is a bigger seller than Gears, and MGS4 is the first MGS on the PS3. Previews suggest that this game is nothing short of AWESOME!!!!!!.

It is very unlikely that the 360 can turn this around and start outselling the PS3.

Metal Gear Solid 3 never reached 4 million, and Gears will easily reach Metal Gears Solid 2's 5.56 million by the end of its lifetime.  Take into account the fact that the PS3 userbase is much smaller than the PS2 userbase and there is no way MGS4 sill move more software.  Sure, it may push some hardware for Sony, but its software sales are in decline, and it will be selling to a smaller market no less. 

Ail said:

"Things is the PS3 has been outselling the 360 and steadily increasing the amount by which it outsells it WITHOUT any exclusive AAA out. That's when you realize how bad things are becoming for Microsoft...."

GT5:P begs to differ.  Only since its release have PS3 sales seen this massive jump - they are close to 2x what they were in Others,  but before the average difference was around 30,000 units.

Around the Network

yea that's what I thought too when I just read some articles again BigJ
hmm..

''Hadouken!''

Gamerace said:
I think prodigy has an excellent point - MS has lost almost all exclusive titles going forward whereas Sony was a lot of great 1st and 2nd party developers. THAT will make a major difference going forward.

Will the 360 lose this generation? That was almost a forgone conclusion since Wii became the break-out hit it is. It was always only a matter of time before the PS3 started to pick-up (price drops, good games and blu-ray victory where needed first).

Will the 360 be the Gamecube and lose developer support becoming a 'dead' system? No. Neither HD console will ever have PS2's support, and therefore it'll always be in 3rd parties interest to maximize their base by being on both HD systems (or Wii exclusive).

The worst thing, is the image. With Xbox MS came from nowhere and stole 2nd place (a very very distant 2nd place but 2nd nevertheless) from Nintendo making themselves look like an up and comer. They continued this image by being out 1st with the 360 and then outselling the PS3 last year. However if they fall into 3rd, IE: LAST place, then that image of 'becoming something' changes to 'becoming nothing' in the public's perception. That's a horrible place to start the next gen from. Nintendo turned it around with true innovation (and considerable risk) with the Wii, but MS isn't that creative.

Here's where I disagree.  I don't think the "public" gives a rat's ass about how many consoles Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, etc... sell.  If they think that they will be able to play good games for reasonable prices they will buy the next xbox, or next playstation, or whatever.

Microsoft was never going to jump into the market and claim the top spot. Nintendo could do it because it had NO competition. Sony could do it because Sega collapsed. But MS was rushing into a field with two strong, established competitors, and knew it would be a long, hard slog to simply gain credibility.

By beating Nintendo last gen, MS showed it deserves to be in this business.

This generation it will outcompete Sony in the world's largest market, it will have established itself as a "must have" console for "hard core" gamers, it will have substantially improved upon XBox sales, and for the first time will start to show a profit in this business. These are not small accomplishments.

If we pretend that this year's sales hold for a considerable period (I'm not convinced they will, but since that seemed to be the postulate in the OP, let's run with it). Let's look at the chart:

http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=PS3&reg1=All&cons2=PS3&reg2=All&cons3=X360&reg3=All&start=39446&end=39544&weekly=1

50,000 a week may sound big, but in context of 20+ million consoles, the differential is barely noticable. At the start of the year, it was 16.1m vs 8.8m. Now it's 18.1m vs 11.6m. That's narrowed the gap by one million in 3 months. So by year's end, at that pace, Sony will be still be behind by 4 million or so. It will take another year for Sony to have a chance to catch up, and even then the 360 will retain a sizable lead in the US. And it is very likely that, as the end of 2009 draws near, any Sony announcement of "we finally caught up!" will be drowned out by Microsoft's announcement of a new console for 2010 or 2011. Given just how big the gap was between the two last generation, I don't see how this can be seen as a phail for MS.

Most important to this is Nintendo. They have shown with the Wii that it is possible to dramatically leap over your competition - if you have the right product. MS will have a chance to get a big jump on the next Sony machine. If they design it right, learn how to combine the core and casual appeal in a moderately priced machine, I think they have a very good chance to make an even better showing next generation.

EaglesEye379 said:
@montreal

GC had 13% market share, XB had 15% market share, VGchartz data. The 360 is far from 'Gamecubing' and is well on course to beat XB lifetime sales by next year.

MS always had capable and successful competitors, its more of a case of people dismissing MS as a competitor. Based on the current hard numbers I dont see how they can think that.

The Gamecube  is a close third is your listed stats.  I see that's the best the 360 can do (unless MS does something phenomenal we haven't heard of).

Beating the XBOX1 sales is nice, but I never heard that as being MS' goal: I recall "first to ten million dominates".  Beating XBOX1 sales but staying in third place isn't dominating. I cannot believe (on launch) MS ever expected they would be third place in current sales in '08.  If that's what they really expected, that's not what they said.

At this point, I think fans would like to hear MS' prognosis of the way things are and their future plans (E3?).

Xbox360 is not just in trouble, in serious trouble!!

1 year ago, it had the best games, now that Wii is catching up, it's sales are dropping
also, it had a price higher than Wii, now that the price is even lower than Wii, and Ps3 is still outselling Xbox360.....

Wii console: 0595 8808 5698 2709
Super Smash Bros Brawl: 1161 1357 5188

Mario Kart Wii: 1633 4506 4319

PES 2008: 1633 5820 0347

DragonBall Z BT 3: 3823 9760 9484

Pokemon Battle Revolution: 3480 2645 9186
Feel free to add me, and sent me a pm with your Friend Code!!