By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is the 360 in trouble?

I dunno Coca Cola, MS' Xbox Branch still has 6 billion in losses to make up for.

If they don't do that, AND make a big profit on top of that, shareholders might not want to do a round 3.  Like I explained above, they will be forced to use Blu-ray, and have a bad image when it comes to reliability.

As for now, I can only say:
Enjoy the games that are out there.

I've got a PS3, a 360 and a Wii (the last one borrowed from a friend)
Halo 3 is the bomb, so is PGR 3 and 4, and Mass Effect, and Bioshock, and lots of other 360 games. Mario and Metroid, they're ace. All of the nintendo fanchises are.
And Sony, they've got so many in-house studios they can adress a wide range of user needs. From Buzz and Singstar to Resistance, MotorStorm or LittleBigPlanet.

I know Sony will win, and MS will eventually back out of the console world.

I only hope that Sony doesn't get arrogant again, once Xbox has been put to bed.

Around the Network

And then I'm not even talking about convincing the consumer that your new hardware is trustworthy, and you'll beat Sony and Nintendo in round 3.

I wouldn't be too concerened about Nintendo, if I was Sony.
They overlapse a part of the Playstation market of course,
but these days with the Wii they have also extended their own specifik market.

Where the 360 opperates almost completely on the Playstation market (and PC market)..

''Hadouken!''

What I think actually IS relevant,

is that Sony is at it's core a hardware-maker,

and they are one of the best consumer eletronics manufacturars of the world,
for decades now

selling the PS3, and in their eyes, BR-players
is not just a subdivision at Sony
but it's way closer to their core business
than the 360 is to Microsofts' core business..

that's why, helped by the PS2's succes, Sony could take it's times
and come with a very High-Tech and high-end system
but also the design, the quality of hardware, the stillness compared to the xboxes, the loading times are a lot smaller etc.
placed in a 10-year vision
and they knew they had a very strong lobby around the world to support BR

Microsoft must have underestimated the influence of Sony in the cons. electr. world

''Hadouken!''

@prodigy
6 billion is a lot to recover.
is 360 making money for them?

Prodigy_BE said:
As an ex-industry insider, I can only say that Sony NEVER planned stuff on short term. They looked ahead to this console generation and the next.

While MS was bussy getting its shoddy 360 out of the door, and paying through the nose for exclusives (HALO, PGR, Fable, all the Rare stuff...), Sony was doing what it always does. Looking into technology to secure them the leadership position.

And they have done just that.
With blu-ray and Cell, their PS3 has a longer life cycle and there's more room for improvement in games (from a technical point of view). But on top of that, they partly OWN blu-ray, so with it being the new format for the next 5 to 7 years, Microsoft wil HAVE to use it in their next console. Which means:

Every Xbox 720 (or whatever it'll be called) sold will mean royalties for Sony
Every Xbox 720 game sold will mean royalties for Sony
Every blu-ray movie an Xbox 720 user buys will be royalties for Sony.
And then I'm not even talking about convincing the consumer that your new hardware is trustworthy, and you'll beat Sony and Nintendo in round 3.

So they can use all that money turning up the heat on MS, by buying even more studios, and advertising even more.

Xbox came in second.
Xbox 360 will come in third
Xbox 720 has little chance for survival

Sony has won that war. And believe me, the Sony corporate guys knew it, the minute Toshiba backed out of the HD-DVD business.

The real battle is Sony vs Nintendo, and that's a scene where they both can do what they do best. Sony wowing us with technology, Nintendo wowing us with sheer fun and gameplay.

And how are you 100% certain that Microsoft is going to use Blu-Ray in their next-gen system? I mean, Microsoft isn't stupid: They are just as forward looking as Sony is. Is there a specific reason that Microsoft couldn't use their big bucks, and go with another disc-based system rather than pay royalties with Sony? Sega didn't have an issue with doing it, and neither did Nintendo.

X360 owners have been advocating Microsoft to merely just skip Blu-Ray, and goto it's current, already in production succuessor: HVD

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

mrstickball

And how are you 100% certain that Microsoft is going to use Blu-Ray in their next-gen system? I mean, Microsoft isn't stupid: They are just as forward looking as Sony is. Is there a specific reason that Microsoft couldn't use their big bucks, and go with another disc-based system rather than pay royalties with Sony? Sega didn't have an issue with doing it, and neither did Nintendo.

X360 owners have been advocating Microsoft to merely just skip Blu-Ray, and goto it's current, already in production succuessor: HVD

you got a good point
but
it would be a very good point if MS intended the 360 to be a game-system and nothing more
like Nintendo and SEGA always have

but if Microsoft want to sell it's next console as a home entertainment system
then missing BR, if BR succeedes further, would be really ackward and feel like the system is outdated..

''Hadouken!''

The 360 is not in trouble. Sales are up over 40% this year from last, and they make a nice profit each month.

The 360 will most likely end up in last place this generation, but the market has grown to a place where three companies can be successful in the video game industry.

As long as MS, Sony, and Nintendo keep there next console under 300, they all will be successful next time too.

kirby007 said:
somehow i see when the ps3 overtakes the xbox360 we will hear about the xstation

How funny, PS3 is already selling more than the 360 worldwide just in case you haven't noticed it. Once major titles start rolling and the PS3 sells more, which will happen (!), its only a matter of time when the PS3 will overtake the 360.... for sure.

Prodigy_BE said:

"The real battle is Sony vs Nintendo, and that's a scene where they both can do what they do best. Sony wowing us with technology, Nintendo wowing us with sheer fun and gameplay."

Sounds like the perfect idea to me. Two companies with major differences competing with each other and the best thing of it all is... if you like, both consoles (like I do), you'll be fully satisfied by both companies.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

Ajax said:

mrstickball

you got a good point
but
it would be a very good point if MS intended the 360 to be a game-system and nothing more
like Nintendo and SEGA always have

but if Microsoft want to sell it's next console as a home entertainment system
then missing BR, if BR succeedes further, would be really ackward and feel like the system is outdated..

MS Will put a device in there next console that reads BD's if they can.

BD is the format going forward. Sony will make sure of that. I am not sure how many people know this, but over half of all the movies every made, are owned by Sony.

The format for movies will be whatever Sony wants it to be. As for games, that's another story, but MS will want to sell a device that will play those movies. 

@Prodigy_BE

All this royalties to Sony is over-exaggerated. A Blu-Ray Disc Association has been formed between 18 board members, and the patent licencing is up in the air. Sony only gets a fraction of the licence fees.

And I think this is moot also because I can say, oh Sony uses Windows in their offices so for every PC, MS makes money.