By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Labo is neither niche nor bait nor a simple cashgrab

captain carot said:

Sure, kids who see the Labo video and like any kind of creative work or handicraft like stuff actually love it. They're really curious what they can do with Labo and how. Parents who wnat their kids to not only play on the screen really like it. Adults that might not even be into video games like it and want to know what you can do with Labo. Basically everyone who is into crafting and the not digital only ways of playing thinks it is great.

That sounds like Nintendo Labo was some kind of LEGO construction kit, which it isn't.

1. There's nothing truely creative about Labo. Labo owners will basically just assemble something according to an instruction, similar to assembling a IKEA furniture according to the manual. That may be fun, but it's not exactly creative in the common sense.

2. I also do not see how kids or grown-ups should actually be curious what they can do with Labo. I believe the trailer is pretty clear on what to expect from, and what people can do with Labo.

captain carot said:

Bait: Yeah, somehow people already came up with 'Nintendo wants you to break your console and buy cardboard over and over again'. Now, cardboard can not only be very robust. It's pretty easy to build your own spareparts in multiple ways.

It's actually not as easy as it may seem. Building replacements will probably be easy for certain parts, but not for all.

On the other hand, I believe this will actually turn out to be much less of an issue than some people seem to think. Because ultimately, I believe that the kids will very soon lose interest in their Labos; from what I have seen in the trailer, the Labo software looks rather like minigames/shovelware that is only fun for a very limited time before it gets boring. And as such, I believe the cardboard stuff just doesn't have to be very durable, because it will not be used for that long anyway.

Now my post may sound like I do not like Labo, but that's not correct: I actually think it's a great idea from Nintendo and that sales will be very solid. It's just that I believe that after being very hyped, people will very soon lose interest.

Around the Network

LABO is VERY reasonably priced, and it doesn't as such need "lasting appeal" to be successful, as the novelty by itself can easily sell the three initial playsets in good numbers.

Whether Nintendo wil keep adding to the range of course depends on general consumer reception, and whether they have more ideas ready.

I could easily see them sell inexpensive LABO add-ons for otherwise unrelated family titles, though.

Last edited by Podings - on 24 January 2018

Jumpin said:
Open world gaming is a niche, and some games have sold in excess of 50 million copies.

Open World is a partially descriptive game genre. I would not call it descriptive of a niche.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Cardboard! Cardboard!!!

I heard Nintendo is getting their Labo material from old Pizza Hut boxes. Not even Little Caesars, PIZZA HUT!!! Fucking recycling man.

Off topic, but important: My first job was in a recycling plant. I can't stress enough how much greasy pizza boxes fuck things up. I was in glass and plastic, but the paper guys always had to look for pizza boxes, because it takes only a small amount of grease from meat/cheese to fuck everything up. It didn't happen too often, but If too much got through, it would wreck big operations. It starts with the person bringing it in/depositing it in a bin.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

ArnoldRimmer said:

On the other hand, I believe this will actually turn out to be much less of an issue than some people seem to think. Because ultimately, I believe that the kids will very soon lose interest in their Labos; from what I have seen in the trailer, the Labo software looks rather like minigames/shovelware that is only fun for a very limited time before it gets boring. And as such, I believe the cardboard stuff just doesn't have to be very durable, because it will not be used for that long anyway.

Now my post may sound like I do not like Labo, but that's not correct: I actually think it's a great idea from Nintendo and that sales will be very solid. It's just that I believe that after being very hyped, people will very soon lose interest.

it seems from the trailer that there's some sort of programming game. if you look well, the part with the little guy with a joycon on his back, that's not a labo kit. it's probably something homemade. that open the creativity possibility. plus, just the drawing on it part can be creative and fun.

that said. it's still a toy and a game. it will not be use for hundred and hundred of hours. i mean, giving the price, if my kids get around 20 to 30 hours of fun with it, for me it's a good buy. take in that building the toycons, puting stickers and drawing on it and palying the actual game that come with it. within that time span, i guess i will be able to either not breaking the toy-cons, or be able to repair it with glue and tape. 

people have gone crazy over the durability, but come one : "what if i use it outside, and that it start raining on it ?"  yeah, i sure play with my switch out in the open when rain is possible... 

i dont think it will flop. i think it will sell, but that the hype will decrease a lot on it. People were building the hype on this disclosure way to much. even before the official debut, NMintendo was clear about being something for kids. but hey, internet you know, so people start hyping those crazy theories : it's VR, it's a new smash bros, it's a switch pro, it's the virtual console, it's the online system... eh, kids, remember ?

i think nintendo made a mistake there. they did the direct mini a week before, but people were expecting more. they will probably make a full direct in the next few weeks, but they put this before. so people overhyped on something that was for kids. if they made the announcement after the full direct, maybe the hype would have just be a little less, and there would be less negativity surrounding the labo.

Around the Network

My 8 year old already wants it for his birthday, it has tons of appeal. Yet will it last more than a few afternoons like a paper airplane book. Anything build of cardboard doesn't last in my house, those Minecraft paper sets were a bad idea.

If it has some programming element, then I'll bite. My 8 year old is very interested in programming already. Still a bit young for Lego Mindstorms (and terribly expensive). I still have an old set of that that requires windows 95 and a parallel printer port...

We need to wait until we know how good it actually works and how much content it has, before we can comment on how much it's worth.

Marach said:

it seems from the trailer that there's some sort of programming game. if you look well, the part with the little guy with a joycon on his back, that's not a labo kit. it's probably something homemade. that open the creativity possibility. plus, just the drawing on it part can be creative and fun.

I just rewatched the trailer - you're right, that segment really does show a simplistic programming "game"! Now that's pretty cool, I must say!

Not sure about that guy with the joycon on his back though. Could still be labo kit to me, but anyway, even if it was homemade - a cardboard man capable of falling over when a joycon vibrates doesn't really impress me much . And drawing or placing stickers on cardboard... I don't know, that seems like the kind of creativity to me that kids are well capable of without a Labo kit.

But anyway, the fact that they included a simplistic programming game has very positively surprised me. Labo apparently has at least slightly more depth than I realized at first.

Marach said:

that said. it's still a toy and a game. it will not be use for hundred and hundred of hours. i mean, giving the price, if my kids get around 20 to 30 hours of fun with it, for me it's a good buy. take in that building the toycons, puting stickers and drawing on it and palying the actual game that come with it. within that time span, i guess i will be able to either not breaking the toy-cons, or be able to repair it with glue and tape.

I agree. The criticism of cardboard not being durable is overrated; in this case, it simply doesn't have to. This is not an airplane that has to work properly for decades, it's a kids toy that just needs to survive the couple of hours that the child is interested in. And for that short time, it will probably do the job.

Whether it's worth the price or not depends on the games.  If they suck then kids will spend 10 minutes putting the cardboard together, 10 minutes playing with it, and then never touch it again. 

Most of the cardboard stuff itself doesn't look very fun.  Anyone seen that robot kit?  What the heck?  This is not how I played robot as a kid. 

It looks more like a grade schooler kit.

Or maybe ...

And what's the tagline, anyway?  "Bowflex in disguise!"?

The stuff people have made on their own is a BILLION times better.  They should have added a ton of accessories so you could customize and make it actually look cool.

Quite honestly, assuming that the games are good, I know what will happen because I know what I would do as a kid--I'd take the controllers out of the cardboard and play in a much less annoying and embarrassing manner.

Last edited by pokoko - on 23 January 2018

pokoko said:

They should have added a ton of accessories so you could customize and make it actually look cool.

I believe that's what the additional 15 Euro "customization kit" is for, which contains a few stickers.

It even has stickers with letters, so one can stick one's name on it. Unfortunately, it seems like you would need three of these customization kits for your name "pokoko", for every customization kit seems to contain every letter just once.