By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - One year later, how do you feel about Resident Evil 7?

Tagged games:

What do you think of RE7

A triumph in every way! 15 53.57%

What an Outlast rip off! 2 7.14%

The old games were better. 3rd person 4 Lyfe! 6 21.43%

I haven't played it. 5 17.86%

Total:28

Pleasantly great. It has that old RE1 vibe in terms of exploration, awkward key-finding for specific doors and some puzzles here and there, albeit the later weren't really frequent at all. Madhouse should have been present from the very start, since the manual saving adds an extra layer of atmosphere (that being said, the game is really generous with it, and even grants you powerful weaponry much earlier than in the standard difficulty).

Would have love to see more of the Baker family. Despite them being very great, there's actually not much screen time for each one of the family (heck, you're even denied a combat against Lucas). Ethan on the other hand was a very bland, boring protagonist. It's funny because Clancy (the guy from the demo, Happy Birthday and certain DLCs), and all the other playable characters such as Mia, Joe, Chris and Zoe are far more charming than Ethan is in the entirety of the game. It didn't detract from the game, but I just wish he would do something other than telling Jack "that isn't groovy" with such a casual tone you'd think they're drinking beer together.

Pretty much it's a combination of great elements. If I had to sum up what I didn't like, it would be:

- Almost no enemy variety. Seriously, outside bosses, you have three types of Molded (plus an arm-variant of one of them) and that's it. One of these types only show up three times in the game.

- Terrible, terrible final boss battle despite how cool it looks.

- Stupid binary choice that makes little sense and changes basically almost nothing, other than potentially screwing a certain character.

- Ethan and Zoe's exchanges. Don't get me wrong, this kicks you directly into playing more without having to deal with much conversation, and that's great. But I could never gather much sense to what you were doing. You need a serum, which I kinda guess makes sense, but then you have to look for the ingredients and Ethan is like "k an arm". The fact that Ethan blindly trusts Zoe despite having deceiving people in the family like Lucas is yet another indication of how bland Ethan is. Some plot details are iffy, as well, and pretty confusing.

- Ethan's hand and leg. I mean, they simply brush this aside, but it never stopped bothering me to no end.

Outside these elements, the game was damn great. I greatly encourage people to play the DLCs, they're awesome as well.

Around the Network

They will never make a better game than RE4, so going in a different direction with the series was a good idea. I enjoyed it a lot.

It was fun once, but I feel no desire to ever replay it. Nice tone and ideas, but it didn’t really leave much of an impact overall. Say what you want about Chris of the North Star, but that boulder punching scene felt a lot more memorable than anything in 7.

Still, it nails the survival horror aspect, which is what fans are more interested in, even if I personally like the B-movie cheesiness of 4 and 5 more. Nice to see Capcom paying attention to what fans want.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Super_Boom said:
Say what you want about Chris of the North Star, but that boulder punching scene felt a lot more memorable than anything in 7

Guess who's still punching things in the free expansion Capcom released for RE7.

Wright said:
Super_Boom said:
Say what you want about Chris of the North Star, but that boulder punching scene felt a lot more memorable than anything in 7

Guess who's still punching things in the free expansion Capcom released for RE7.

@.@ might be time to try out that expansion...

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Around the Network

It brought me back to the experience I had on RE1 so that is already fantastic.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

In regards of all the possible choices you gave, I think it was a triumph in every way, but I still like them more in 3rd person. Fingers crossed for the remake of RE2 :D

"We all make choices, but in the end, our choices make us" - Andrew Ryan, Bioshock.

Super_Boom said:

Wright said:

@.@ might be time to try out that expansion...

I was so relieved after finishing the main game that I was afraid to try the DLC. Plus I only wanted to experience it in VR--which some dlc didn't support. I guess I'll give in and get the extra content, too.

Brilliant until you left the Mansion.

One of my all time favourite gaming experiences, but I played it in VR. I feel a little sorry for anybody who played it any other way.