By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The 3rd party support of Switch...would you say it is already better than the Wii?

So...it does?

Yes! It is beating Wii to the ground! 12 41.38%

No! Switch still have a lot to learn! 10 34.48%

Meh...they are kinda the same. 7 24.14%

Total:29

It has the potential to be. The Switch is designed to be more conducive to ports than the Wii was, Since it not only is more engine compatible in an middleware-reliant era of gaming, but also has all the buttons of a standard controller, so developers don't have to force in things like motion controls if they don't want to. But one aspect that intrigues me the most about the Switch is the potential for experimental exclusives it can call its own. Thanks to its simple hardware, unique features, and generally low-development costs, developers can make all sorts of weird shit on the Switch that wouldn't see the light of day on other consoles, or at least, wouldn't be nearly as popular on other consoles. The Switch feels like a much more refined version of what they wanted to do with the Wii. Make it easy to develop for to get big titles, but also make it a low-cost alternative for developers to experiment.

Around the Network

Indie support has been huge. To judge other 3rd party support we will have to wait and see what happens.

I think it looks like the Switch could have a good future for third parties. On the other hand, Wii started good because of the past consoles, so take in count that Switch comes from the Wii U Wii U Wii U Wii U, and it becomes decent compared to the previous gen.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Jumpin said:

I wouldn't say it's even close yet. While Switch got Skyrim, Doom, Minecraft, Rocket League, LA Noire, Disgaea, Stardew Valley, and Fifa, it still fell very short of the Wii's first year.

Some of the bigger year 1 third party games on Wii included:
* Resident Evil 4
* Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles
* Call of Duty 3 and 4
* Medal of Honour
* Okami
* Fifa
* PES
* Tiger Woods PGA
* Madden NFL
* SSX
* Tony Hawk
* Need for Speed
* Far Cry
* Bully
* Splinter Cell
* Prince of Persia
* Driver
* Guitar Hero
* Rock Band
* The Godfather
* Scarface
* Zack and Wiki
* Geometry Wars
* The Simpsons Game
* Trauma Center
* Elebits
* Spyro the Dragon
* No More Heroes
* Red Steel
* Harvest Moon (Story of Seasons)

Wasn't Okami 2008?

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Speaking personally, I am already a lot more excited by the Switch's third party line up. Puyo Puyo Tetris is my favorite Switch game, and I am planning on getting Dark Souls, DQ Builders and Valkyria Chronicles 4 this year. I really feel Switch has third party games that are personally tailored to my taste.

Objectively, I do know that by the end of it's lifetime Wii had a crap ton of third party games. I don't remember how many it had it's first year, though. I wouldn't say the Switch has a lot of third party games quantity wise yet, but quality wise I am a lot happier with what I am seeing.

Around the Network

Certainly an improvement.