By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Minecraft has sold over 144m Units with 74m active players.

vivster said:
Alkibiádēs said:
Seems these days only indie games can be innovative, unexpected break-through hits.

Minecraft started out as an indie, so it counts. Then we also have Rocket League with over 40 million players and PUBG which is also selling insane amounts of copies.

Indie development has less risk and strings involved, so it's easier to create and try out new concepts. It's not "these days", it has always been this way.

You also shouldn't forget the quantity. There are tens of thousands of creators trying out new things. 99.9% of those projects fail miserably. With so many creators there is bound to be someone with success at some point.

How can you say both things in the same post and still expect to be taken serious?

Did you read the story behind the development of Cuphead? How is that less risky?

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Around the Network
Alkibiádēs said:
vivster said:

Indie development has less risk and strings involved, so it's easier to create and try out new concepts. It's not "these days", it has always been this way.

You also shouldn't forget the quantity. There are tens of thousands of creators trying out new things. 99.9% of those projects fail miserably. With so many creators there is bound to be someone with success at some point.

How can you say both things in the same post and still expect to be taken serious?

Did you read the story behind the development of Cuphead? How is that less risky?

Because I compare risks with that of billion dollar multinational AAA publishers. Where projects start in the millions and not a few hundred thousands or less. Are you telling me there is more risk involved in a project of 2 people than in a project of hundreds?

And again, indies are the vast majority of developers out there, so I fail to see how it's any kind of special that successful games come from indies.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

While I'm not as shocked to see that 144 million people bought Minecraft since it is available on smartphones (since everybody owns smartphones), I am gobsmacked by the number of monthly active users for this game, 74 MILLION is a lot of people.

I really am taken aback by how the game has retained a large chunk of its audience, I guess frequent updates and expansion really have helped this game, this is probably the most successful example of games as a service, 7 years since release and the game keeps growing.

It is the best selling game?

Pocky Lover Boy! 

im still waiting to see the Hololens version

Around the Network
vivster said:
Alkibiádēs said:

Because I compare risks with that of billion dollar multinational AAA publishers. Where projects start in the millions and not a few hundred thousands or less. Are you telling me there is more risk involved in a project of 2 people than in a project of hundreds?

And again, indies are the vast majority of developers out there, so I fail to see how it's any kind of special that successful games come from indies.

If those two people have to remortgage their house to finish their game then yes... 

How come Nintendo isn't afraid to innovate? Nintendo Labo is a pretty crazy idea. Why can't other AAA publishers do stuff like this? Although I also have to give credit to Blizzard. They also push the envelope with some of their games. 

There's a reason why Nintendo and indies go hand in hand together these days, they share a similar design philosophy. 

AAA games are getting increasingly stale and predictable: yearly sport franchises, shooters, licensed games, open world games (even if it doesn't suit the gameplay), remakes, remasters (some make sense, but some, like LA Noire, I just have to wonder why?), etc.

It also took an indie developer to finally make a good Sonic game as Sega is still as incapable as ever of producing a good Sonic game. 

Indie developers are truly passionate, while developers from AAA companies seem to miss that spark these days. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides