By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Netflix 'still exploring' Switch

Not a dealbreaker when deciding on a system of course, but the loss is Nintendo's really.

Around the Network
BerriJammi said:
Personally I feel like these things are largely irrelevant, it's a nice feature if you use those services sure but I don't think any console really "needs" netflix. I buy consoles for the games only, those added features never make a difference to me.

Definitly not. One of the reason of the ps2s and even the ps3s success was that they were not just consoles, but also cheap DVD/Blue Ray Player. Its similar with Netflix. maybe not for you, but for the mainstream it is.

habam said:
BerriJammi said:
Personally I feel like these things are largely irrelevant, it's a nice feature if you use those services sure but I don't think any console really "needs" netflix. I buy consoles for the games only, those added features never make a difference to me.

Definitly not. One of the reason of the ps2s and even the ps3s success was that they were not just consoles, but also cheap DVD/Blue Ray Player. Its similar with Netflix. maybe not for you, but for the mainstream it is.

That doesn't really seem like an applicable analogy. When the ps2 launched DVDs were still new on the market, same with ps3 and bluray. There are a million ways to access netflix today so the added benefit of having it on another device is quite low. I used Netflix on the wii for years before ending my subscription and even back then the ability to play Netflix was quite a low added value. If I did not have the option I would simply have used my laptop. Multimedia features are nice but not necessary

As crazy as it seems, a lot of people still don't have Netflix capable devices. Off the top of my head,

I had to give my little sister my Wii and eventually one of my Xbox 360s which she primarily use for Netflix.

I bought my mom a Blu-ray player for her birthday so she could have Netflix--but she doesn't even have the internet so....

One of my coworkers got Netflix after I told him how good the newest Dave Chappelle comedy special was. He called me later on telling me his TV didn't have Netflix. I said "Any one of your game consoles should have it." To which he replied "I don't play video games." I'm gonna give him my mom's Blu-ray player.

Me? I have a Smart TV, every satellite receiver under every TV supports it. I have easily over a dozen consoles that support Netflix and two tablets as well. It's crazy to think of but those people do exist.

I'd rather have a browser.

Around the Network

I wouldn't be surprised if Hulu gave money to Nintendo to not put Netflix on the system for a limited time. It is basically free money since the Switch doesn't really sell because of media apps.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

killeryoshis said:
I wouldn't be surprised if Hulu gave money to Nintendo to not put Netflix on the system for a limited time. It is basically free money since the Switch doesn't really sell because of media apps.

I’m sure some deal was struck. The only reason I have Hulu right now is because of that. 

d21lewis said:
As crazy as it seems, a lot of people still don't have Netflix capable devices. Off the top of my head,

I had to give my little sister my Wii and eventually one of my Xbox 360s which she primarily use for Netflix.

I bought my mom a Blu-ray player for her birthday so she could have Netflix--but she doesn't even have the internet so....

One of my coworkers got Netflix after I told him how good the newest Dave Chappelle comedy special was. He called me later on telling me his TV didn't have Netflix. I said "Any one of your game consoles should have it." To which he replied "I don't play video games." I'm gonna give him my mom's Blu-ray player.

Me? I have a Smart TV, every satellite receiver under every TV supports it. I have easily over a dozen consoles that support Netflix and two tablets as well. It's crazy to think of but those people do exist.

I mean I could use my laptop but I'd much rather watch on a bigger screen. I currently use my Wii U to watch Netflix and Amazon but I'd rather just pack that artifact away. Lol.