By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Sales 02 December 2017

Bofferbrauer2 said:
PAOerfulone said:
I think Nintendo could really benefit by opening some development studios in Europe and have the developers make IPs that appeal specifically to them, because they have Japan by the balls and they're gaining more and more momentum in North America, but there's a lot of work to be done and a lot of room to improve in Europe.

Not even sure if that would work out. I talked with quite a few Wii U owners in Germany, Belgium, Luxembourg and France and the consensus was that the Switch is perceived as a downgrade from the Wii U. This comes because Europe isn't much into mobile gaming, so for many there the portability aspect is wasted. And for a mobile console, they feel that the 300€ pricepoint is just too high, especially with it's perceived short battery life.

In other words, it's everything but the games that's holding the Switch back in Europe - though a Fifa on par with the PS4 version in content might help.

Im not sure those people you talked to represents the general consensus.

According to this site, Switch is right around 2 million in Europe in just over 8 months.

On the other hand, it took Wii U about 25 months to hit that number.

Switch reached that milestone in 1/3 the time.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:

Nah, it's cool. Xbox is a better console than Switch so it makes sense we'd buy more of 'em.

One of the worst reasonings I've ever seen.

How much $$$$ did Sony lose with those million sales? How much profit did Nintendo make? Microsoft?

Wiibaron said:
How much $$$$ did Sony lose with those million sales? How much profit did Nintendo make? Microsoft?

I'm pretty sure Sony is making lots of money, specially with how Psplus and online has grown

zorg1000 said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Not even sure if that would work out. I talked with quite a few Wii U owners in Germany, Belgium, Luxembourg and France and the consensus was that the Switch is perceived as a downgrade from the Wii U. This comes because Europe isn't much into mobile gaming, so for many there the portability aspect is wasted. And for a mobile console, they feel that the 300€ pricepoint is just too high, especially with it's perceived short battery life.

In other words, it's everything but the games that's holding the Switch back in Europe - though a Fifa on par with the PS4 version in content might help.

Im not sure those people you talked to represents the general consensus.

According to this site, Switch is right around 2 million in Europe in just over 8 months.

On the other hand, it took Wii U about 25 months to hit that number.

Switch reached that milestone in 1/3 the time.

Of course, but possibly both are true. Meaning, that most of the Switch owners are possibly not former Wii U owners, or at least a disproportional amount of the Wii U owners not having upgraded their console yet.

Around the Network
NintendoPie said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Nah, it's cool. Xbox is a better console than Switch so it makes sense we'd buy more of 'em.

A console selling better because it's better is one of the worst reasonings you ever saw?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

RolStoppable said:

Such estimates are notorious for lowballing the real costs. For example, in 2011 the 3DS was estimated to cost ~$120 to manufacture. When Nintendo told investors that the price cut to $170 would result in the system being sold at a loss, you'd think that can't be true based on the estimates. But Nintendo's financials made it clear who has an idea of what they are talking about.

If estimates peg Switch at $250, then you can be sure that the real costs are higher than that.

You really believe that?

For the 3DS  I could even let that go cause tehere are a lot of custom parts in there.

But for the Switch? Not a achance in hell. Further more "Nintendo's finacials" has nothing to do with the true cost of manufacuring. As I said they could even be factoring in marketing costs or some sort of R&D made up charge they tack onto every unit sold true value. That doesn't mean the actual materials that it cost to make the hardware donesn't actually cost less.

And this isn't even like we are talking about some crazy cutting edge tech here using one off components..... everything in the switch exists in smartphones or tablets or some other mass production device. Gyroscopes,  IR or whatever.... 

Like how can you be fully aware that tablets with a camera, 2 - 4GB of ram, an SOC, wifi, internal storage and a 720p screen exist that costs around $50 at retail and still somehow believe that the NS cost Nintendo more than $250 to make? Like I don't even understand how that is possible. But as always lets just agree to disagree.

IanSolo said: 

https://www.vg247.com/2015/06/30/playstation-4-dominates-europe-with-70-90-of-console-market/

Now PS4 has certainly 80-90% of the console market in Europe, so Vgchartz always overestimate the sales of xbox one in Europe and the numbers of last week (only 2: 1) are really ridiculous.

Ka-pi96 said: 

Already posted in the other thread, but if you're gonna post it here as well... "continental Europe". Read your own source next time maybe

Around 40% of Xbox's European sales come from the UK, which isn't included in "continental Europe" so...

mjk45 said:

The answers simple  IanSolo is ahead of the game and moved the UK to the rest of the world, most likely the  day after the brexit vote.

40% from UK is impossible.

UK is 64M of population, like France, Italy, Germany (82M) .....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Europe

UK can represent about 20/25% of the European market and in any case, PS4 also wins in UK. So the ratio is always close to 4:1 even with UK numbers.

God imagine Xbox sales in Europe without the UK...be embarrassing.

DonFerrari said:
NintendoPie said:

A console selling better because it's better is one of the worst reasonings you ever saw?

Y’all really think Europe prefers Xbox One over the Switch? The software charts for countries such as Germany and France include a larger amount of Switch Titles than Xbox one Titles. The more software usually means more consoles that are sold. Also he needs to explain why it is better? 

Bets:

(Won)Bet with TechoHobbit: He(Techno) says 10 million by January 1,2014 I say 9 million by then. Winner gets 2 weeks of sig control.

(Lost)Bet with kinisking: I say Ps4 will win April NPD while he says Xbox One will win it; winner gets 1 week of avatar control.

Raichu's First Series:

First RPG?

First Fighter?

First Racer?

First Shooter?

First MMO?

First Horror?

Official Ni No Kuni Fanboy:

Familiars Captured:37

Game Beaten: 2 times almost

Times I got teary during some scenes: 3