By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Would You Rather: Buy Used Games or Buy New Games With Microtransactions?

How would you buy the game?

New (Give Money to Publisher) 10 35.71%

Used (Give Money to Gamestop) 18 64.29%

Total:28
pokoko said:
I have yet to have a problem with micro-transactions. Most of the time they don't effect me at all. As long as that's the case, I'm perfectly happy that some rich kids are giving more money to the developers so they can stay in business and I can get more games to play.

I think what worries most people about micro-transactions is the possibility of the developers getting lazy with their games, knowing that they have an alternate way of receiving money if the overall game doesn't sell as well as they would like.

Around the Network

I never buy used.

New,I don't like buying used games.

I don't enjoy shady practices by Devs to milk $120 bucks out of their consumers for a $60 games. A lot of these 3p devs release unfinished games and then charge an insane amount for DLC to complete the game.

I try to avoid Gamestop too unless they are running a good deal on a used game.

Smartie900 said:

Do development teams get paid based on the sales of the game or is it an already set amount?

I imagine the sales of a game and long tail sales that follow. For those that go with a 3rd party publisher, they likely get paid a set amount. Second hand sales wouldn't go to any of them though.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network
Chazore said:
Smartie900 said:

Do development teams get paid based on the sales of the game or is it an already set amount?

I imagine the sales of a game and long tail sales that follow. For those that go with a 3rd party publisher, they likely get paid a set amount. Second hand sales wouldn't go to any of them though.

I suppose royalties are pretty important for these development teams.

Most people who sell used games will invest that money into new games.

So indirectly most developers and publishers will profit from the used game market.

Conina said:

So indirectly most developers and publishers will profit from the used game market.

Sellers don't necessarily have to invest into to the used games market when they sell their games. They don't even necessarily need to invest into the games market when they sell their games.

Smartie900 said:
Conina said:

Sellers don't necessarily have to invest into to the used games market when they sell their games. They don't even necessarily need to invest into the games market when they sell their games.

Not necessarily. But most gamers will stay gamers and won't suddenly stop buying games.

Conina said:
Smartie900 said:

Not necessarily. But most gamers will stay gamers and won't suddenly stop buying games.

Gamers will prioritize the money they gain from used game sales onto other needs. They don't have to spend the money they gain from games on to more games. They could invest in books, movies, other electronics, etc.