By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Would You Rather: Buy Used Games or Buy New Games With Microtransactions?

How would you buy the game?

New (Give Money to Publisher) 10 35.71%

Used (Give Money to Gamestop) 18 64.29%

Total:28

I was fairly excited for Battlefront 2 before all of the info regarding it's loot-boxes and micro transactions came out. I absolutely despise whenever games implement micro transactions, even if they are cosmetic. I feel buying games that contain any of these features ultimately encourages developers to focus on these rather than optimizing their game and delivering a truly great experience. All of this information is fairly obvious... but I've been contemplating whether it's more ethical to buy these games used from Gamestop. A used sale from any store sees none of the profit go to the original publisher of the game. Unfortunately, these stores implement some truly disgusting practices when it comes to the treatment of their employees in order to achieve used game sales. Gamestop is most famous for the 'Circle of Life' which usually forces employees to lie in order to sell used games, reward cards, etc. That's not even mentioning the extremely high quotas employees are expected to fill along with employees having to work on holidays like Thanksgiving. If you were put into a situation where you were forced to buy a game like Battlefront 2, how would you buy it? On one hand, you would be encouraging business practices that see game publishers put less effort in to their core game and focus primarily on alternate ways to extract money from the consumer. On the other, you would be supporting the ideas of Gamestop by encouraging them to shove incredibly high demands on to their employees and treat them poorly in general. Micro transactions seem like a very controversial topic here.... so I'm interested to see how this turns out.

Around the Network

I don't mind Micro transactions so New games.

Used game can be 1 day old so used games.

Gamer147 said:
Used game can be 1 day old so used games.

But you would be supporting the awful business practices of companies like Gamestop. 

For Nintendo and Bethesda, and a few other publishers, I buy new. I mostly vote with my wallet if I like what one of the major publishers is doing.

Otherwise, I buy used and give the money to the original owner (eBay).

EDIT: I know it's not a perfect fit, but I cover something similar in my newest YT video. See my sig for the link!

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Smartie900 said:

But you would be supporting the awful business practices of companies like Gamestop. 

What if you buy your used games directly from those selling them (eg. via ebay)?

For me it depends on the game. If it's one I really want then I'll buy it new the day it releases. If not then it comes down to cost, if used is cheaper I'll get that, if new is only a couple quid more expensive I might get that still though. I've seen some games where new is actually cheaper than used... obviously I get new then as well.

eBay is a very good option. The reason I didn't put it on the poll was because it's a lot more moral than the other 2 options.

Well used games means no money for the devs, but new games means money for them and MT's means money for the pubs/devs, so I'd rather go for new games.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:
Well used games means no money for the devs, but new games means money for them and MT's means money for the pubs/devs, so I'd rather go for new games.

Do development teams get paid based on the sales of the game or is it an already set amount?

I have yet to have a problem with micro-transactions. Most of the time they don't effect me at all. As long as that's the case, I'm perfectly happy that some rich kids are giving more money to the developers so they can stay in business and I can get more games to play.

New games without microtransactions.