By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - The Marvelous Marvel Rewatch (Now Playing: Avengers: Infinity War)

Best MCU sub-series?

Iron Man 1 3.03%

Thor 1 3.03%

Captain America 12 36.36%

The Avengers 9 27.27%

Guardians of the Galaxy 10 30.30%

Total:33
Alara317 said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
Keep the scores coming!

Please submit all your scores for the first 18 movies by next Friday.

Also, new poll in honor of Thor!

Did you miss my Thor: Ragnarok score? 

it was 9/10 if you were curious.

I still need to catch up on the last five days. Stay tuned!

Around the Network

Scores updated!

mZuzek said:
Doc755 said:

I put the part about the comparison in the first paragraph and you clearly missed where I said I wanted to get that out the way and then spoke about the flaws of this film. Just like I have with every film in this rewatch. So you can “very big sigh” all you want. I marked this film one point under the other. At the end of the day, this film is not as good as the first in my opinion. Pulling out one sentence from a long review to justify your worldview is nice. But my review actually doesn’t match any one of your criticisms about how “it’s exactly like I said”. I never once said “too many jokes” or “no plot”. I never even talked about expectations. In fact your review is more about your reaction to other’s reactions than about the actual film so evidence to the contrary, I don’t think you “learned to deal with it”. But hey, you do you, boo. The rewatch is about differing opinions and how we react to films. Our differences are what enhance the experience. An echo chamber is boring. 😉

Sensing quite a bit of insecurity in this post... that's fine, I feel insecure at the moment too.

Anyways, I didn't get into the specifics because I didn't want to. You started your review off by "getting out of the way" (which is still saying it) that the movie tries to hard to be like its predecessor, using as an example only one line..? Does Quill's first line in the movie being a nod to the first one automatically write the whole thing off as a rehash? I mean, as much as you wanted to get this out of the way early, so does the film - the first 20-25 minutes or so are very much more of the same, to get the audience going, bring back the Guardians as they know and love. From there on out it's a completely different movie and I struggle really hard to understand how some people think it's the same.

In fact, you don't, either. Because you go on to criticize the things this movie does different. You criticize that the Guardians are split apart, saying the movie isn't as good when they're not together - this is an expectation molded on the first movie and is something Vol. 2 does different. You criticize, hm... oh okay, maybe that's as far as this goes.

Still, I disagree with some of your other criticisms. Saying there's no resolution to the Rocket vs. Quill thing is pretty crazy, because there was - only there didn't have to be a cliche "I'm sorry, dude" scene or an apology letter like in Civil War, no, they handled it in a more subtle way because that's how it works in real life. I'm pretty sure you already had a fight with a family member that didn't end too well, but overnight you thought about it and when you both woke up the other day, you know you were both wrong and just move on as if nothing happened. This is what we almost get here - with Quill learning to let go of his ego and entitlement, and Rocket learning to allow himself to care for others over the course of the movie, when they both meet each other again they don't need to apologize because they already understand it's all good. I said we almost get this situation, because there is a proper apology later in the film, which is of course Rocket's last line.

Anyways.

😂😂 Talk about insecurity. You’re projecting all over the place. You created strawman arguments and said my review conformed to them when it didn’t. I appreciate you actually pointing out what you take issue with because then I can clarify where I was coming from. I used the a-holes line as an example so I would not have to make a laundry list of how this film does try to replicate the feel and tone of the first. I picked that line because after the prologue it’s the first thing we get. It was a long review already and unnecessary lists didn’t seem warranted. And it trying to be or not be like the first film has nothing to do with my overall score. I examine a film on its own merits. And yes, sometimes sequels do exist in the light of their predecessor. But it not being a carbon copy or being a carbon copy has nothing to do with my critique of the film. I was giving context to why it might not be as good. Whether you buy that context is up to you. But I don’t write my reviews based on what people will like. It’s about how the film makes me feel.

What I took issue with is that you painted my review not only inaccurately but in a light you felt comfortable arguing in. Again, your three main strawman arguments are nowhere in my review. That was the only reason I responded. And again, for someone who claims to love this film so much, you spend more time talking about how other people see the film rather than how you do. Perhaps you see those flaws and need to explain them away. No idea why else you would bring them up when I didn’t.

As for the group chemistry, are you saying it does not exist? Because yes, that comes from the first film. Do we pretend we don’t know this group of actors is good together? Oh but wait. As I said, the film pops more when the group is together. A film that so bluntly talks about family and then splits up said family for a majority of the film (leading to an unfocused narrative) is going to affect how you see the film. Now maybe you prefer the group spilt up. Vek can tell you in other shows and films I see splitting up the main casts actually dilutes the product unless you’re telling a more engaging story. I didn’t find all those stories engaging as I stated in my review. They have high points and lows. You can disagree as you see fit.

Do I think Rocket grew as a character? Sure. But the film takes a large portion of that opening sequence to establish a conflict. That we don’t see a resolution to said conflict is notable. You can say “Well I think they handled it off screen”. That’s fine. But I don’t really give credit for what’s not there. I do like that Rocket made the hard choice for the group in closing the ship’s doors. And I like his bonding with Yondu and how it affects him in the finale. That’s all good stuff. The problem is it does not match exactly with the beginning. You can say he pushes people away and that’s what he did to Quill so now that he cares about Yondu by extension he cares about Quill. I can even buy that. But my comment about the Rocket/Quill conflict was in context of the overall plotting. Not of the one particular grievance. Again, you can pull it out of context and say “See? This I don’t agree with” and we can hash it out. Maybe you’ll convince me. Maybe you won’t. That’s part of the experience this rewatch is supposed to engender. But don’t start off saying “He’s doing X” when I’m doing Y. Especially when you add “I’ve gotten better at dealing with this”. Because no, my friend, you haven’t

mZuzek said:
Doc755 said:

What I took issue with is that you painted my review not only inaccurately but in a light you felt comfortable arguing in. Again, your three main strawman arguments are nowhere in my review. That was the only reason I responded. And again, for someone who claims to love this film so much, you spend more time talking about how other people see the film rather than how you do. Perhaps you see those flaws and need to explain them away. No idea why else you would bring them up when I didn’t.

As for the group chemistry, are you saying it does not exist? Because yes, that comes from the first film. Do we pretend we don’t know this group of actors is good together? Oh but wait. As I said, the film pops more when the group is together. A film that so bluntly talks about family and then splits up said family for a majority of the film (leading to an unfocused narrative) is going to affect how you see the film. Now maybe you prefer the group spilt up. Vek can tell you in other shows and films I see splitting up the main casts actually dilutes the product unless you’re telling a more engaging story. I didn’t find all those stories engaging as I stated in my review. They have high points and lows. You can disagree as you see fit.

Do I think Rocket grew as a character? Sure. But the film takes a large portion of that opening sequence to establish a conflict. That we don’t see a resolution to said conflict is notable. You can say “Well I think they handled it off screen”.

I didn't say they handled it off screen, I said they handled it internally. They didn't need to openly apologize to each other because by the time they saw each other again they already understood that. I thought that was quite clear.

Also, splitting the family doesn't make for an unfocused narrative if that's the whole point of the movie. It deconstructs its theme to emphasize it. Maybe it didn't work for you, but that doesn't make it incoherent.

Anyways, as I said, that's a review I wrote several months ago. Back then, I had just finished another "forced" viewing of the film, which as always ended up in me not enjoying it too much. By the end, I got a little depressed not because of the bittersweet ending, but rather because I didn't get engaged enough in it, and I ended up reflecting on loads of stuff over that night, including all the criticism I've seen for this film over the months and how stereotypical most of it is. In fact just a few days earlier, I had met some oldschool friends for the first time in a while and we talked a lot about loads of different things, and eventually the theme of GotG Vol. 2 popped up and they bashed it pretty hard too. That bothered me, of course.

I still stand by the idea that most people who didn't like Vol. 2 too much weren't really fans of the first one to begin with. That they liked the first one mostly because it was fresh rather than because it was good. I actually think this is a wider issue within the cinema industry, mostly evidenced by the critical reception The Last Jedi got. People value boldness more than they do quality.

Anyways, I didn't talk much about why I love the movie because it'd be redundant. I've already talked lengths about it here and elsewhere (of course, you wouldn't know), and I think it's obvious to most people how I feel about it. Ultimately, whenever I praised it I always seemed to be going against the curve, and that probably prompted me to try and be more 'aggressive' in the review, in an attempt to change that curve. Being outside of the curve isn't ever a good feeling, in fact that's the main theme of my favorite character.

But it'd do us both (and certainly the thread) good to stop talking about this, anyway.

I would never begrudge anyone for how they see a film. For as much as we try to remain objective, art is always going to be subjective. If you notice prior to today I never really pushed back on any person’s review. If someone was questioning a certain plot point, or got something factually wrong, I would weigh in. But the purpose of the rewatch as I saw it was to watch and see different perspectives on these films together. You love the film, clearly. And that’s great. Everyone has their own choices and understandably can be protective of them. I actually had no issue with your review. I read it and just thought “ok”. I’m sorry you maybe have run into more hostile people in the wild. I’m no stranger to that. I’m in a political group on Facebook and battle on public pages a lot so been there. What I took issue with was calling my review out specifically in regard to how you saw criticism of the film. Even though my review did not conform to that criticism. If you disagree with me, that’s fine. But the issue I took was writing off criticism in a manner that made you feel more comfortable. I actually think it’s funny because I seem to hold it higher regard than a lot of the people you’re talking about. I enjoy the film of a personal level. I critiqued the film on a professional level. I’m happy to put this to bed and as an olive branch, per your comment about people not actually liking the first film, I’d be willing to rank it lower. For you. 😉

mZuzek said:
Doc755 said:

I’m happy to put this to bed and as an olive branch, per your comment about people not actually liking the first film, I’d be willing to rank it lower. For you. 😉

Don't worry, that 7/10 fits my argument nicely.

I mean nothing has fit so far, but you do you, boo!

Around the Network

My final rankings

1. Captain America: Winter Soldier
2. Guardians of the Galaxy
3. Captain America: Civil War
4. Avengers
5. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
6. Iron Man
----------------
7. Thor 2
8. Doctor Strange
9. Captain America: The First Avenger
10. Thor
11. Black Panther
-----------------
12. Avengers 2: Age of Ultron
13. Spider-Man: Homecoming
14. Ant-Man
15. Incredible Hulk
16. Iron Man 2
-----------------
17. Iron Man 3
18. Thor: Ragnarok

mZuzek said:
mZuzek said:

But it'd do us both (and certainly the thread) good to stop talking about this, anyway.

Ok. 😇

My overall rankings.  I guess I think the MCU is mostly GREAT!

AWESOME
1. Captain America: Civil War
2. Captain America: The First Avenger
3. Captain America: Winter Soldier
4. Guardians of the Galaxy

GREAT
5. Thor: Ragnarok
6. Iron Man
7. Doctor Strange
8. Avengers: Age of Ultron
9. Spider-Man: Homecoming
10. Black Panther

GOOD
11. Avengers
12. Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2
13. Ant Man
14. Iron Man 3

DECENT
15. Thor 
16. Hulk

POOR
17. Iron Man 2
18. Thor: The Dark World

Also, as an aside, I'm going to see Black Panther again tomorrow, so that'll be nice!

It's great that Black Panther and Avengers are close enough that they're both gonna be in theaters together next weekend.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2 - 7/10

I remember not liking this as much as the first one when I saw it , but on rewatching I ended up liking it a lot more than I remembered, still not as much as the first one though

pros:-
The villain and general story is much better in this movie.
Kurt russel is fantastic
the rest of the cast is great too.
great music obviously
yondu and rockets understanding is great
baby groot!!

cons:-
feels like theres way too much character drama, none of it is bad but i felt fatigued after a certain amount of time.
some of the jokes dont land that well.

Last edited by AnmolRed - on 21 April 2018