By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - The Marvelous Marvel Rewatch (Now Playing: Avengers: Infinity War)

Best MCU sub-series?

Iron Man 1 3.03%

Thor 1 3.03%

Captain America 12 36.36%

The Avengers 9 27.27%

Guardians of the Galaxy 10 30.30%

Total:33

Scores updated to this point!

Around the Network

Captain America:Winter Soldier - 10/10

This movie keeps getting better every time I rewatch it and this is the mvie that makes me love Chris Evans as Cap and especially an actor , only 2 other movies are above this for me personally.

Guardians of the Galaxy - 9/10

one flaw - the villain , love everything else, especially chris pratt and groot

Heading into Guardians rewatch now. Looking back, I was excited for this one going into the theater (thanks to an amazing trailer) and it didn’t disappoint. It had charismatic leads, great music, and a plot with a sense of urgency.

See you on the flip side.

Coming off Winter Soldier (which I loved) and being pleasantly surprised at the Dark World, I didn’t know what to expect from Gurdians of the Galaxy. I knew nothing about it from the comics, but the trailer made it seem different and exciting (and hilarious). That was pretty much my impression when I left the theatre. Phase Two was still going strong. It was fun and different (even if the plot fell into the same trap with another Infinity Stone). On subsequent viewings, you start to notice the plot holes more but it never disappoints in terms of enjoyment. See you on the other side!

That went up a little in my estimation.

Guardians is solid all around: acting, characterization, music, sound design, art direction, cinematography. The best parts, though, are the soundtrack -- which meshes perfectly with Gunn's subversive, funky screenplay -- the chemistry among the five leads, and the jokes. Along with The Avengers and Spider-Man: Homecoming, this is the funniest MCU movie.

Yet it's also surprisingly sweet and, sometimes, sad. Friendships are formed along the way, and familial fissures revealed. "We're all losers," says anti-hero Peter Quill toward the end of the film, meaning it literally. Peter lost his mother and his home world. Gamora and Drax, their families. Rocket, a chance at a normal life. Groot...well, four out of five ain't bad.

The thing I appreciated most about Guardians on this rewatch (particularly with the specter of GotG2 hanging over it) is how efficient the storytelling is. In Guardians, the heroes grow while, at the same time, advancing the plot. It happens simultaneously. In GotG 2, the plot stops in its tracks to develop its characters.

Some minor cons: the villains are uninspired, and the connections to the larger MCU tiresome. I wonder if Guardians would have been even better and more nimble had it not been attached to the whole Infinity Stones saga.

Score: 7/10

Updated rankings:

GREAT
1) Captain America: The Winter Soldier
2) Iron Man

GOOD
3) Guardians of the Galaxy
4) The Avengers
5) Iron Man 3

DECENT
6) Black Panther
7) Captain America
8) The Incredible Hulk

MEDIOCRE
9) Iron Man 2

POOR
10) Thor
11) Thor: The Dark World

Around the Network

I am so sorry that I've been gone for so long. I've been caught up with other stuff and I haven't had the time to come here. I promise it won't happen again. I was able to resolve everything I needed to and had time to sit down and watch all of them

Iron Man 3: 7/10
Solid watch. Humor works. Action is decent. I like the fact that they focused on Tony Stark and chose to emphasize the mental improbabilities that were going through his mind after The Avengers. I think it's incredibly unique for a Marvel movie to focus on a story that's more concerned with developing a character and showing the audience the outcome of several different situations on his mental psyche. The only problem is that the movie looks bland and is somewhat visually ugly. All Phase 1 and 2 Marvel movies kinda had this problem and this one is no different. Colors are incredibly muted and there were a couple of instances in the story where the shot was too brightly lit. The villain is also a bit boring and cliché but the plot twist is genius.

Black Panther: 6/10
This one is really unique in the sense In that it is probably the most inconsistent Marvel movie. While other Marvel movies are pretty decent or good in all departments, this one is made up of aspects that are both really good and really bad. Costume design, set design, music, cinematography, and the overall style is all incredibly impressive and some of the best that any Marvel movie has ever had. Killmonger is a great villain and Michael B Jordan gives a great performance that clashes with the other performances in the best possible way. I was able to believe that he was an outsider that didn't represent the beliefs of Wakanda, even if they shared similarities. Acting is solid. The color grading is done well and the scene in South Korea was both wonderfully shot and had bright, punchy colors that gave the visuals a much needed sense of beauty. Most of the technical details are done very well, but the movie falls flat on its face on pretty much everything else. The characters are caricatures that are defined solely by one trait. T'Challa's lifetime best friend completely betrays him just because he's unable to capture Klawe. Klawe is an over exaggerated cartoon that contradicts the serious tone that the movie tries to build up. I appreciate T'Challa wasn't a joke dispenser like every other Marvel hero, but he has nothing to his character. He doesn't go through an arc, have any motivations, or even any character flaws. The actor did a good job with what he was given, but he's still a boring character. His sister is annoying and contributes to the dreadful humor this movie has. Rest of them are forgettable, besides Killmonger. The CGI is incredibly unfinished and distracts from the movie. The action is incredibly inconsistent. The car chase scene is exciting to watch and uses more practical effects, but the fight scene in the beginning of the movie is shot poorly, has horrendous lighting, is composed of bad choreography, and does a poor job at demonstrating any of Black Panther's unique abilities. The action in the end is also somewhat underwhelming, but not as bad as the beginning. I could honestly dedicate an entire thread to my feelings on this movie, but I want to keep this short. This movie is a good example of how Marvel can make technically proficient movies, but it needs serious work on the script and characters. I hope the sequel is better.

Thor 2: 3/10
Holy shit, this movie sucks. The action is bland. The characters are dumb and boring. The villain is trash. The CGI isn't horrendous, but it's so overused and just makes the movie look fake. The story is inconsequential and generic. I don't really have much to say on this one. I hated every minute of it.

Smartie900 said:
I am so sorry that I've been gone for so long. I've been caught up with other stuff and I haven't had the time to come here. I promise it won't happen again. I was able to resolve everything I needed to and had time to sit down and watch all of them

[snip]

No worries! Glad you’re back :)

I agree with pretty much everything you wrote. Iron Man 3 is fun and surprising; Black Panther is uneven; and Thor 2 is just the worst :P

Guardians.

So I went to see this in a preview screening. The first preview they've done for a Marvel movie plus only one since I think (in the UK at least). It was a risk, little known characters, different concept and all that. I didn't know what to expect as it was set on the recent Guardian's comics not the 1980s ones. This means characters didn't fit their personality or conception.

And they still didn't, infact Starlord's personality in comics now reads as a mick take of the film version. His design is of that too... which is the measure of this films success.

The film was very good, funny, entertaining, vastly different to what Marvel had produced before, which had mostly been epic good vs evil shenanigans. The acting was good and the plot clever.

I'd give it a 9/10.

Fanboy issues: Drax is human in the comics, changed to what he is. Rocket is actually a Racoon just from another planet, not an experiment. Where's Yondu's bow? (like we'd ever see the future GotG, his inclusion was welcome :P). And what did they do to the Nova Corps? I think we'll never see Richard Rider at this rate... I mean isn't there a New Warriors thing being made? How will he fit into that? (Of coruse I asked the same of the Runaways Molly... apparently she is a mutant but they just don't mention what she is).

Hmm, pie.

The_Liquid_Laser said: 

Minuses:

Ronin is kind of a dumb villain.  Do we even find out why he wants to destroy Xandar?  If so, I missed it.

Ronan. Yes, The Kree Empire and Xander were once at war. He was extremeist basically presumably not accepting the war had ended with a 'peaceful' resolve. Drastic different to comics version.

I'd say this if the first film in the MCU that's character really did differ from their movie counterparts the most.

Sadly X-men have been doing this for years.

Hmm, pie.

“You said if yourself, bitch. We’re the Guardians of the Galaxy.” (They said the title!)

Guardians stills feels fresh and entertaining even after multiple viewings. The plot is a retread of what we’ve seen before but the packaging is new and exciting. Taking characters not as well known and moving the action off Earth and into the limitless possibilities of space gives the writers/director a freer hand to break the mold a bit (while still being saddled with laying the groundwork of the overarching Infinity Stones plot).

A look at the opening sequence really serves as a microcosm for the film. It starts with an epic, Raiders of the Lost Ark vibe-like search for a valuable item before launching into the funky and funny credits sequence set to “Come and Get Your Love.” The film had me as Star-Lord kicked some Orlonis to the beat and even used one as a microphone. Not really sure how else to say that the film just felt fun. You wanted to spend time with the characters and get to know them. The bickering banter, the awesome (mix) soundtrack and the characterizations all came together for a diverting two hours that never feels like it lags. Yes, you start to notice some of the plot holes on subsequent viewings but that never detracts from the enjoyment of the moment.

Franchise-wise, we get our third (official) Infinity Stone and some backstory on all of them. Coming at the exact midway point of the entire saga (to Infinity War anyway), it makes sense we finally get some history on these macguffins. I guess it’s a fair trade off. The plot would be sorely lacking if you didn’t enjoy the characters and their arcs as much as you do. Sadly, we still get some seriously under-utilized villains. Ronan barely is given any motivation other than to destroy Xandar. Nebula (who is given a lot more in the sequel) is little more than the embittered sister. Michael Rooker as Yondu is the most memorable and he’s not really a true villain.

Overall, the film is successful at establishing a team, developing each of the individual characters, and providing an enjoyable romp that never feels forced. Compare this with Suicide Squad which is essentially the same concept. When Drax says “No one talks to my friends like that” right AFTER calling Gamora a whore, it feels earned. All these lost souls were looking for connections and family and found it amongst each other. It makes Groot’s sacrifice all the more heartbreaking because even though they’ve only known each other a few days(?) he was willing to sacrifice himself for all of them. Another nice moment is when Drax comforts Rocket at the end of the film. Forty minutes ago, Rocket was ready to shoot Drax in the face multiple times. As the Guardians join hands to help Star-Lord contain the power of the Infinity Stone, it’s the visual embodiment of the connection they have forged over the film. They are stronger together and can accomplish the impossible. They’re willing to put their lives on the line for one another. They’re the Guardians of the Galaxy. Side note: I had a huge smile on my face when they appeared at the end of the Infinity War trailer. It’ll be fun to seem them interact with the Avengers.

I’m going to give Guardians of the Galaxy a 7/10. A run of the mill plot for Marvel and weak villains can’t bring down what is truly a story of family, sacrifice and loyalty. Watching it this time around, I’m not sure I’d buy that they all would put their lives on the line so quickly after meeting each other but it doesn’t hurt the overall flow of the film. Seeing the characters as “losers” as Star-Lord puts it more in context that they would seek out others to make up for those lost connections. Combine that heartfelt story with great action (the scuffle on Xandar and the prison escape being highlights) and a smashing soundtrack and you have a recipe for a a really good film.

Current Rankings:
1) Captain America: The Winter Soldier
2) Iron Man
3) The Avengers
4) Guardians of the Galaxy
5) The Incredible Hulk
6) Black Panther
7) Iron Man 3
8) Captain America: The First Avenger
9) Thor: The Dark World
10) Thor
11) Iron Man 2