By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo on balancing various aspects during Switch’s development

Creating the Switch was no easy task. In previous interviews, Nintendo has brought up how the word “balance” was key during development. This was something that was mentioned again in an interview with Toyo Keizai.

General Switch producer Yoshiaki Koizumi noted how game developers tend to be interested memory and a quality GPU for higher specs. As a developer himself, Koizumi can understand this. However, there was also the need to make the machine light, small, and stylish while giving consideration to the battery as well. On top of everything else, Nintendo only had a set amount of time and resources to produce the new console. So ultimately, balancing all of these different aspects was the most difficult part in developing Switch.

Nintendo’s Shinya Takahashi added that in order to achieve that balance, the hardware and software teams were more closely connected with development than ever before. The goal was to have a console in which something like Zelda: Breath of the Wild would be fun to play on.

http://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-on-the-struggle-of-balancing-various-aspects-during-switchs-development-prototypes/

Around the Network

imagine it went like this:

Nvidia: we have a buttload of these chips no one wants to buy..... you intrested? could make a handheld.
Nintendo: How cheap we talking here?
Nvidia : pretty cheap.
Nintendo : show me the specs.....
Nvidia : *hands over specs*
Nintendo : Holy crap! this is more powerfull than our Wii U was..... we ll take it.

Nintendo releases a 150 Gflop Handheld hybrid, that powers up to ~390 Gflops when docked.

Meanwhile at xbox HQ: "We need to wow people... we cant be seen as the weaker console anymore! release the 6Tflop beast!"

Sony HQ: "70.6m in under 4years........ 130m is gonna happend, we won it boyz!"

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 26 December 2017

It's pretty difficult to balance a device like the Switch. God bless exclusive software so they didn't have to.

*goes back to grudgingly play XBC2*

Last edited by vivster - on 26 December 2017

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:

It's pretty difficult to balance a device like the Switch. You have to build it with as little power and features as possible but still make people want to buy it. I'd say they nailed that balance. God bless exclusive software.

*goes back to grudgingly play XBC2*

How are you liking XBC2 btw?  I know you have been kind of let down by a lot of games you were looking forward to this year by every one of the big three, so I was wondering how XBC2 held up for you since this was another one you had hopes for.

For me it was a slow start, but I am loving it.  It is not perfect, but the proa far outweigh the cons in my eyes.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Shiken said:

How are you liking XBC2 btw?  I know you have been kind of let down by a lot of games you were looking forward to this year by every one of the big three, so I was wondering how XBC2 held up for you since this was another one you had hopes for.

For me it was a slow start, but I am loving it.  It is not perfect, but the proa far outweigh the cons in my eyes.

It's pretty good so far. I'm not that far into yet, it takes a long time to get going. It certainly reminds me of the first one. Unlike with BOTW or SMO, visuals and performance aren't as important with this one so I can enjoy it a bit more. Though at every corner I start to imagine what the game could've been.

As far as gameplay goes it seems to have a deep leveling and combat system. I'm not sure if it was the same with the first one, but the combat feels really slow. Probably made worse by the fact that you really want to use your skills quickly to ramp up the Blade combos. As someone who loves to grind monsters for XP a slow battle is not a good thing. But again, I'm pretty early into the game and I haven't even found a big open area yet to roam around, which was the most fun I had in the first one.

I'm not sure if this game will disappoint me but I'm almost sure that I'm never going to finish it if it has the same amount of content as the first one^^

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.