By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Poll: For which platform are you buying Grand Theft Auto IV? (Joystiq)

Everyone I know has issues with the 360 d-pad, particularly in games like Gears of War. Quick weapon switching is a pain because it's way too easy to mis-select the weapon. Slap your thumb to the left to grab a grenade and it registers as up and you pull out the pistol.

That "dinnerplate" design on the d-pad is fucking terrible. I don't know why Microsoft is so infatuated with it.

And Dmeister, you should know by now that I can find new and interesting ways to bitch about almost anything. I'm super-critical of most things. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network

PS3 for me. As its the only current gen console I own.

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega. - Jason Lee, Mallrats.

http://theaveragejoe.sportsblognet.com/ - Mainly American Football, snippets of Basketball, European Football and Hockey. 

rocketpig said:

Everyone I know has issues with the 360 d-pad, particularly in games like Gears of War. Quick weapon switching is a pain because it's way too easy to mis-select the weapon. Slap your thumb to the left to grab a grenade and it registers as up and you pull out the pistol.

That "dinnerplate" design on the d-pad is fucking terrible. I don't know why Microsoft is so infatuated with it.

And Dmeister, you should know by now that I can find new and interesting ways to bitch about almost anything. I'm super-critical of most things. 

I've played some Gears, and the mis-selection only happened when I was flustered, but as long as my head was clear, it was fine.  

And yes, I know you're super-critical of most things. 

It mainly happened to me online when I needed to do things quickly to avoid death. In the single-player game where things move a bit more slowly, it's not a big problem.

But, in something as simple as a d-pad, it shouldn't ever happen. It's that dinnerplate design. It makes it too easy to hit the pad diagonally, giving you a 50/50 shot at selecting the right weapon.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

PS3 for me.

Incert Witty Comment on how i'm a fanboy of all systems including PC here.

Around the Network

If i get the game it will be the PS3 for me, free online play and its the 'home' of the series i suppose!

PS3 too.

rocketpig said:
It mainly happened to me online when I needed to do things quickly to avoid death. In the single-player game where things move a bit more slowly, it's not a big problem.

But, in something as simple as a d-pad, it shouldn't ever happen. It's that dinnerplate design. It makes it too easy to hit the pad diagonally, giving you a 50/50 shot at selecting the right weapon.

The design is good for fighting games that require rolling direction combinations but that's about it.

PS3 version will destroy the X360 one in Europe so in the end they will sell even numbers.

Words Of Wisdom said:
rocketpig said:

The design is good for fighting games that require rolling direction combinations but that's about it.

Yeah, it's awesome for VF5