By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pokemon Switch may be using Unreal 4

Xxain said:
Yerm said:
for decades now GameFreak has been making Pokemon games working to the very limit of handheld capabilities. Now that they have a generational leap to catch up with, they have the potential to make the best pokemon game weve ever seen

Not if that Pikachu model is anything to go by. They're going to blow it and by blow it I dont mean Bomb but any evolution that one would expect for having such a tech leap/new platform will be missed. Tradition is going to get in the way.

I'm thinking the same thing, however I'm hoping for the best. asking them to render all 802 pokemon  is a tall task your 1st go round. the last console game was battle revolution for the wii, which was carrying the same models from stadium and XD.

But the models wont bother me like it will for some. what I'm looking at will be the animations for the attacks in variety, style and ones that make sense. 

Around the Network

To be fair, I'd think that, if GF needed to use an already established engine, they would use the BotW engine. It works well on the Switch, and they own it in-house, so it may be a better choice.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Xxain said:
Yerm said:
for decades now GameFreak has been making Pokemon games working to the very limit of handheld capabilities. Now that they have a generational leap to catch up with, they have the potential to make the best pokemon game weve ever seen

Not if that Pikachu model is anything to go by. They're going to blow it and by blow it I dont mean Bomb but any evolution that one would expect for having such a tech leap/new platform will be missed. Tradition is going to get in the way.

You are judging a picture off screen of something that could be really early in development. Assuming it's real.

People are so negative here. 1 thing is confimed, that this will be the best looking pokemon game. Regardless if people's standards are at the highest or at the lowest.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Jranation said:
People are so negative here. 1 thing is confimed, that this will be the best looking pokemon game. Regardless if people's standards are at the highest or at the lowest.

Considering how HGSS is still the best looking Pokemon game despite advances in technology, calling this confirmed is false. Gamefreak can make good looking 3D Pokemon models and literally nothing else.

Around the Network

I really hope that the overwhelming critical and financial success of Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey, both of which are on track to be the best selling games of their respective series', is lighting a spark under Game Freak's ass to do something similar with Pokemon and I'd be more than willing to wait a while in order for that to happen.
But, I highly doubt that they will.

Mar1217 said:
PAOerfulone said:
I really hope that the overwhelming critical and financial success of Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey, both of which are on track to be the best selling games of their respective series', is lighting a spark under Game Freak's ass to do something similar with Pokemon and I'd be more than willing to wait a while in order for that to happen.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/rumor-gamefreak-might-be-doing-something-similar-to-botw-odyssey-for-next-pokemon.6929/

Did people already forget about what has been said last month ?

Even if it's just a rumor, I doubt my a** that GameFreak would simply ignore the success of BOTW and SMO.

They'll certainly add some disruptive(or new) elements to the gameplay or story that we never saw in a Pokémon game before ... Although, they already did a bit of that in Sun/Moon.

We're in a new generation guys, they need to impress people to get the hype going around. No way they'll simply just do a 2.0 of Pokémon X/Y.

That's a little more encouraging, but I'll still maintain my "wait and see" approach.

PAOerfulone said:

Well, I kept saying that about Nintendo's franchises and yet look at the new Kirby and Yoshi. Granted, those games are way more """"""niche""""" than Pokemon or Mario, and they definitely seem like games that "have to be" made in a particular way, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's how GameFreak felt about Pokemon as well. That is has to be a linearly designed game. 

Mar1217 said:
PAOerfulone said:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/rumor-gamefreak-might-be-doing-something-similar-to-botw-odyssey-for-next-pokemon.6929/

Did people already forget about what has been said last month ?

Even if it's just a rumor, I doubt my a** that GameFreak would simply ignore the success of BOTW and SMO.

They'll certainly add some disruptive(or new) elements to the gameplay or story that we never saw in a Pokémon game before ... Although, they already did a bit of that in Sun/Moon.

We're in a new generation guys, they need to impress people to get the hype going around. No way they'll simply just do a 2.0 of Pokémon X/Y.

I don’t think it’ll be out of the realm of possibility of GF creating X/Y 2.0 and I don’t think it would necessarily be a bad thing, especially if it comes in 2018 or ‘19. This is their first foray into HD development outside of that one Elephant project. Plus rendering over 800+ Pokémon and integrating them into bigger worlds isn’t gonna be easy, no matter the staff and money they have. As for battles, i don’t expect Pokken type action. They’ll add new elements and all just like they’ve always done it, maybe more.

And as far as I'm aware, Game Freak isn't really stepping up its staff and hiring much more people to prep make Pokemon Switch a game like no game ever was.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/3/20/14982106/pokemon-nintendo-switch-game-freak-hiring

Going from the 3DS to the Switch is a huge leap and two extra staff members just won't cut it for the type of ambitious game that some people, myself included, are hoping for Pokemon Switch to be.