By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - How would you feel, if Sony traded the Spider-Man movie rights for a 15 year exclusivity deal of all Disney licensed games?

If everything Star Wars, Marvel, Aliens, Simpsons etc. would be exclusive to Playstation for 15 years, how would that make you feel?

And do you think such deal is realistic?

For clarification:

EA's Star Wars games would become console exclusive to Playstation, just because it is such a huge franchise (Playstation/PC).
Insomniac's Spider-Man games .. wait, it already is exclusive to Playstation.
Square Enix's Kingdom Hearts games would become exlusive to Playstation.

Beside those three properties, Sony would get the licens rights for any Disney intellectual property within the gaming realm.

- So, if Sony wanted a Simpsons game, they could, in collaboration with Ubisoft (Ubisoft San Francisco, South Park: The Fractured but Whole), develop it exclusively for Playstation. Etc.

You get the idea. :)

Last edited by LordLichtenstein - on 20 December 2017

Around the Network

I think that would be bad for Sony tbh. Either they would make only like 5 licensed games in that time or have most of their developers making licensed games. No TLOU, Horizon, God Of War, Uncharted etc for the next 15 years.

So way would Disney agree to that, why would they want to get into that deal?

It would be great. Disney sucks at making games and Sony sucks at making Spider - Man movies. Seems like a beneficial trade off to me.

For clarification:

EA's Star Wars games would become console exclusive to Playstation, just because it is such a huge franchise (Playstation/PC).
Insomniac's Spider-Man games .. wait, it already is exclusive to Playstation.
Square Enix's Kingdom Hearts games would become exlusive to Playstation.

Beside those three properties, Sony would get the licens rights for any Disney intellectual property within the gaming realm.

- So, if Sony wanted a Simpsons game, they could, in collaboration with Ubisoft (Ubisoft San Francisco, South Park: The Fractured but Whole), develop it exclusively for Playstation. Etc.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
That means I'd be missing out on the groundbreakingly awesome Guardians of the Galaxy we'll be getting one day (I can dream).

So no, not worth it.

Guardians of the Galaxy was a poor choice for a Telltale style of game. I think it would be better as third person, cooperative action game. I think it would be cool if Marvel gave a huge budget to a developer like Digital Extremes (developer of Warframe) to develop it. You could get James Gunn as a character supervisor and some decent comic book writer from Marvel to supervise the story of the game. It could be pretty cool.

CaptainExplosion said:
LordLichtenstein said:

If everything Star Wars, Marvel, Aliens, Simpsons etc. would be exclusive to Playstation for 15 years, how would that make you feel?

And do you think such deal is realistic?

It'd be nice, but ONLY if it means Venom and Carnage can be MCU villains.

Disney would get everything Spider-Man. :)

BasilZero said:
It'll be one step closer for Disney to buy Sony.

How so?

KLXVER said:
I think that would be bad for Sony tbh. Either they would make only like 5 licensed games in that time or have most of their developers making licensed games. No TLOU, Horizon, God Of War, Uncharted etc for the next 15 years.

For clarification:

EA's Star Wars games would become console exclusive to Playstation, just because it is such a huge franchise (Playstation/PC).
Insomniac's Spider-Man games .. wait, it already is exclusive to Playstation.
Square Enix's Kingdom Hearts games would become exlusive to Playstation.

Beside those three properties, Sony would get the licens rights for any Disney intellectual property within the gaming realm.

- So, if Sony wanted a Simpsons game, they could, in collaboration with Ubisoft (Ubisoft San Francisco, South Park: The Fractured but Whole), develop it exclusively for Playstation. Etc.

VGPolyglot said:
So way would Disney agree to that, why would they want to get into that deal?

To get full control of everything Marvel related. They aren't buying Sony anytime soon, so their only hope of regaining complete creative control of Spider-Man is to either buying the rights from Sony for a few billions or making this deal. 

mZuzek said:
That means I'd be missing out on the groundbreakingly awesome Guardians of the Galaxy we'll be getting one day (I can dream).

So no, not worth it.

Because you're an Xbox or PC gamer?

Smartie900 said:
It would be great. Disney sucks at making games and Sony sucks at making Spider - Man movies. Seems like a beneficial trade off to me.

Exactly

LordLichtenstein said:  
KLXVER said:

For clarification:

EA's Star Wars games would become console exclusive to Playstation, just because it is such a huge franchise (Playstation/PC).
Insomniac's Spider-Man games .. wait, it already is exclusive to Playstation.
Square Enix's Kingdom Hearts games would become exlusive to Playstation.

It would hurt EA? I stand corrected. This should happen NOW!!!

PC is my main platform so nah, even though PlayStation is my console of choice (at least for now).

Last edited by Zkuq - on 20 December 2017

This is not realistic.