By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 Pro sold 500k in total in Japan, PS4 close to hitting 6m

With the release of today’s Media Create charts, the PS4 family of consoles has achieved a couple of interesting milestones in Japan.  First of all, the PS4 Pro has finally passed 500,000 units sold in Japan. It’s currently sitting on 511,255 units that found a loving Japanese home as of December 17th. The half a million milestone was reached just over thirteen months since the console’s launch on November 10th, 2016. Demand for the super charged version of the PlayStation 4 has not been exceptional in the country, with it accounting for 8.85% of the total PS4 units sold.  It certainly remains a niche product, even if the current Holiday season, combined with the coming of Monster Hunter World in January and the performance of the game’s own limited edition console seem to have persuaded more Japanese users to opt for the more powerful (and more expensive) solution. 

Another interesting fact is that the PS4 has finally overtaken the lifetime sales of the PS Vita. The home console (counting its whole family including both PS4 and PS4 Pro) has sold a total of 5,775,515 units, narrowly passing the 5,765,869 units sold by its portable cousin. PS Vita sales have been fairly weak over the past few months, especially considering that it has been basically abandoned by Sony Interactive Entertainment itself, that has been focusing exclusively on PS4, announcing no new first-party games for the Vita.

read more https://www.dualshockers.com/ps4-pro-500000-sales-japan-ps-vita/

Last edited by Ruler - on 20 December 2017

Around the Network

According to VGchatz Japan had 3.5 Million PS4s before the PS4 Pro launched. That makes it around 1.7 Million PS4s to 500k PS4 Pros since the Pro launched, so around a 1 to 3 adoption for the Pro

Last edited by Ruler - on 20 December 2017

Nice!!! I wonder how many Pro's were sold in different territories

PSN & XBOX GT : cutzman25

Ps4 pro cannibalism confirmed?

cutzman25 said:

it should at least have over 2 millions now globally

Around the Network
Ruler said:
cutzman25 said:

Probably 4millions

20 millions ÷ 5 = 4 millions.

I wonder if the PS4 will be able to surpass or at least reach the PS3 sales in Japan, it still have some years left and maybe it will keep selling after it successor arrives just like the PS3 did.

"lupus in fabula, venit enim ad me."

Translation: I will always hate Fox for canceling The Exorcist.

Lol do you remember when it was about to release gafs sales age genius Chris1964 was mocking it saying nobody in Japan would care. I know he's naturally biased against playstation but that prediction was bad even by his standards.

Anyway great to see it succeed in Japan. The thirst for 4k console gaming is real.

Masked_Muchaco said:
I wonder if the PS4 will be able to surpass or at least reach the PS3 sales in Japan, it still have some years left and maybe it will keep selling after it successor arrives just like the PS3 did.

Probably yes, the PS4 came out in Japan a year later while PS3 was the longest duration of a PS console, its already outpacing it

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:
Ruler said:

Probably 4millions

20 millions ÷ 5 = 4 millions.

Youre right but snt it 6 million with 30% adoption rate?