By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why is German pop culture less popular worldwide than American, British and Japanese?

Because perhaps it's boring and their singers doesn't sound as good to non german ears as American, Japanese and Korean music does?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

In japan, you see german cars everywhere.

Complaining about German music and having given birth to country music, EDM, Skrillex and Justin Bieber.....

I'll leave the other comments uncommented. It's not worth starting another war over narrow minded people.

Errorist76 said:
Complaining about German music and having given birth to country music, EDM, Skrillex and Justin Bieber.....

I'll leave the other comments uncommented. It's not worth starting another war over narrow minded people.

Come on it's all in good fun, and lol the irony of war and narrow minded.  

MrRoops said:
Errorist76 said:

Come on it's all in good fun, and lol the irony of war and narrow minded.  

I was being sarcastic, yeah. :)

Around the Network

I'll just leave this here: QUALITY!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9HvS_niU50

or even better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLX4NYrW1bI

:D

KungKras said:
bonzobanana said:

Boney M are great but weren't they all British apart from one bloke being possibly German. I remember them being interviewed and they all sounded British mostly. I could be wrong but they didn't sound German for sure with regard accents.

It's a German group according to wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boney_M.

Click on the original Boney M members. Four are British and one is Dutch. Seems like they were based in Germany at the beginning and the producer was German. Many groups were produced and based in the UK but we don't claim them as British unless the members of the group are British.  In fact Reggie seems to live just up the road from me in Wiltshire.

Original members[edit]

• Liz Mitchell – lead and backing vocals (1976–1986, 1987–1989, 1989, 1992–1994, 2016–current)
  • Marcia Barrett – lead and backing vocals (1975–1986, 1987, 1988–1989)
  • Maizie Williams – dancer, live vocals (1975–1986, 1987–1989, 2012)
  • Bobby Farrell – dancer, rap, live vocals (1975–81, 1984–1986, 1987, 1988–1989; died 2010)
  • Reggie Tsiboe - lead and backing vocals (1982–1986, 1989)
Last edited by bonzobanana - on 15 December 2017

The language. It's not very good for singing. Too many R sounds.

As others have said, if Germans want to impact popular culture they need to make something of quality that reflects their unique culture. The Japanese are the best example, as for instance manga and anime can be traced back to ukiyoe prints. So I think German comics and films that draw on germanys gothic medieval past and reflect artists like albrecht durer, Lucas Cranach, Matthias grunwald, and Hans baldung grien could be very successful. And works dealing with themes of witchcraft, torture, and devilry.

HomokHarcos said:

I've found it strange that compared to the other major developed economies of the world, that Germany's popular culture doesn't seem to be as popular worldwide. The UK has The Beatles, Harry Potter, James Bond and the Premier League. Japan has popular video games such as Super Mario and Pokemon, manga and anime. The USA pretty much goes without saying. Why is this?

As for movies, the Nazis basically killed the great german film industry we had in the twenties and thirties. It never really recovered. There are some famous directors and actors though, but usually they go to the US if they get enough fame. Just look at Roland Emmerich, Wolfgang Petersen and the likes.

Music, let's be honest, german mainstream is quite shitty most of the time. Other stuff usually is more underground or not really recognised as german, like Tangerine Dream, Scorpions or others. There is decent to good german music that doesn't get international attention, often because it is in german. There are many successful producers and composers from Germany though. So there is more german influence than many would expect.

And honestly, Knorkator or Die Ärzte only really work if you understand what they sing about. German Kraut Rock has had some influence most people don't know about on the other hand. And yes, we do have good metal bands for sure.

Books are a different story. I think there are some well known authors and way more that should probably better known than they are. At least even people that don't read should know Michael Ende. :p  Again, after WW2 there was a heavy tendency against escapist or seemingly escapist works that probably hurt many authors.

German games: There's Factor 5, Crytec, Daedalic and lots of companies that do every kind of strategy games. But german game developers came from the home computer corner and never got that big in console gaming. German devs not being so much into action probably has it's roots in very restrictive anti violence policies in the eighties and nineties when there was no official rating system for games.

Finally, there's humour. That one usually is either pretty simplistic or very ironic if not satirical. You need a very good translator to let verbal humour work in another language.

Finally, while japanese pop culture for example is quite different, the german in many ways is far closer to american and british.