By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch in Korea/Taiwan?

In Zhuge's tweet, he later mentions some PS4 statistics (some games selling over 100k units). From what I understand, Switch should be doing similar to PS4 there.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Nexon? Isn't that an oil company? Oil tycoon games for Switch confirmed?

Ever heard of MapleStory?

Pocky Lover Boy! 

zorg1000 said:
Farsala said:

http://www.dfcint.com/dossier/the-korean-console-market/

Remember how I always say PS2 is ahead of Wii launch aligned? This is one the markets that helps confirm that.

This one is definitely hard to believe and I don't really like the source but here you go. http://purenintendo.com/south-korea-wii-ds-sales/

Wii – 500,000 units sold
DS – 2,500,000 units sold

Thanks for the numbers but how exactly does that make PS2 ahead of Wii launches aligned?

I said it in a post a long time ago to you I believe, and its hard to find all the sources again. For markets like SK, Taiwan, India, Brazil and other big secondary markets that since the PS2 launched so late, those sales add to it like its in its first year launch aligned. Which also makes the comparison between PS2/Wii vs PS4 that much worse.

For example you see the sales right there.

~4 years PS2 in SK= 1.27m

~4 years Wii in SK=  500k

This is going to be really complicated to say and I am really confusing myself but hopefully it comes out right: However they are not launch aligned in comparisons. If people compare do 1.5 year shipment comparisons in those charts that they do, it isn't truly launch aligned because it includes SK Wii sales but not SK PS2 sales. If people do 2 year comparisons it includes >.5 year of Wii and only a few weeks of PS2 sales in SK and etc.

Another more clear example Wii launched 1st day in Brazil and PS2 launched after the Wii in 2009. So any shipment data comparisons has Wii Brazil data and not PS2 Brazil data until freaking year 9.

Jranation said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Ever heard of MapleStory?

Are Koreans still crazy for MapleStory after all these years???

Have a nice day...

Farsala said:
zorg1000 said:

Thanks for the numbers but how exactly does that make PS2 ahead of Wii launches aligned?

I said it in a post a long time ago to you I believe, and its hard to find all the sources again. For markets like SK, Taiwan, India, Brazil and other big secondary markets that since the PS2 launched so late, those sales add to it like its in its first year launch aligned. Which also makes the comparison between PS2/Wii vs PS4 that much worse.

This is going to be really complicated to say and I am really confusing myself but hopefully it comes out right: However they are not launch aligned in comparisons. If people compare do 1.5 year shipment comparisons in those charts that they do, it isn't truly launch aligned because it includes SK Wii sales but not SK PS2 sales. If people do 2 year comparisons it includes >.5 year of Wii and only a few weeks of PS2 sales in SK and etc.

Another more clear example Wii launched 1st day in Brazil and PS2 launched after the Wii in 2009. So any shipment data comparisons has Wii Brazil data and not PS2 Brazil data until freaking year 9.

I get what you are saying but do we know that these smaller late releasing nations push it over Wii in the first few years?

For example PS2 sold 1.27m in 4 years in SK so thats only a few 100k per year. Even if you add all of these nations that can only be like 2m per year at best right?

I dont recall how much of a lead Wii had over PS2 in the early years so i honestly have no idea if they do push PS2 ahead or not.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

Well if PS2 sold 1.2m lifetime, 30,000 is great for one day sales

zorg1000 said:
Farsala said:

I get what you are saying but do we know that these smaller late releasing nations push it over Wii in the first few years?

For example PS2 sold 1.27m in 4 years in SK so thats only a few 100k per year. Even if you add all of these nations that can only be like 2m per year at best right?

I dont recall how much of a lead Wii had over PS2 in the early years so i honestly have no idea if they do push PS2 ahead or not.

It definitely isn't clear, but their were numerous late launches for the PS2 compared to the Wii. I often attribute the "legs" of the older consoles to simply launching late, while we can clearly see with newer consoles like  the PS3, 360, Wii U, PS4 etc. that they don't have strong legs but much stronger early years due to launching in these countries early.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_launch

Has all countries launching within about 2 years except the minor market of HK. No launch in India? No China?

PS

India- 3 years after, 900k

, thus ~>0-900k alone should be added to launch comparisons.

SK- 2 years after, see above

Taiwan and HK and some China- 4 years after

Brazil- 9 years after

Other south american countries?

Last edited by Farsala - on 12 December 2017

Farsala said:
zorg1000 said:

It definitely isn't clear, but their were numerous late launches for the PS2 compared to the Wii. I often attribute the "legs" of the older consoles to simply launching late, while we can clearly see with newer consoles like  the PS3, 360, Wii U, PS4 etc. that they don't have strong legs but much stronger early years due to launching in these countries early.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_launch

Has all countries launching within about 2 years except the minor market of HK. No launch in India? No China?

PS

India- 3 years after, 900k https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/775638080405565440, thus ~>0-900k alone should be added to launch comparisons.

SK- 2 years after, see above

Taiwan and HK and some China- 4 years after

Brazil- 9 years after

Other south american countries?

Looks like you could be right, should be close regardless.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Ka-pi96 said:

Are you thinking of Exxon? 

so this numbers will be in the Japan region of the chart??