By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Valve quietly launches Steam's anti-key-scamming Curator Connect feature

It's a good move from everybody involved, but Valve will have to watch it closely or else it may become a real problem like we've seen with review sites that were forced to give good scores to certain games in order to keep recieving copies of their games.

And quite frankly, given how bad has Valve managed the whole Greenlight/Direct side of Steam, I'm not sure they'll manage to keep this part under control.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network

Quick noob questions. What the hell do curators do?

Valve seems to be doing a ton of work to protect developers/publishers it seems... This in conjunction with trying to mitigate review bombing is a testament to that fact.

sethnintendo said:

They curate.
Think of them as a manager/overseer of museum pieces but apply that to video games.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:

Valve seems to be doing a ton of work to protect developers/publishers it seems... This in conjunction with trying to mitigate review bombing is a testament to that fact.

sethnintendo said:

They curate.
Think of them as a manager/overseer of museum pieces but apply that to video games.

I think they are doing it because Steam is experiencing the same problems with other online games marketplaces - there are so many games out there, that soon nobody's making any money. Valve either needs to kill Steam on create a workaround.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Pemalite said:

They curate.

Oh what are they actually overseeing?  They preserving mods or something?

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
sethnintendo said:

They curate.

Uh. Do they really do anything other than recommend products on Steam?

Zkuq said:
Pemalite said:

They curate.

If that's the case then I should try to become one.  Just look at this eloquent review I just recently posted for Plants Vs. Zombies GOTY edition on Steam.

"Best dollar I have ever spent besides maybe that one time at a strip club."

sethnintendo said:
Pemalite said:

They curate.

Oh what are they actually overseeing?  They preserving mods or something?

I probably should have made that analogy a little better.

Think of Museum pieces as video games, curators take inventory on what's available, and gather the museum pieces that they enjoy and put them on display for the world to see.

Some will take mods into account.

Zkuq said:

Some do, some don't.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Zkuq said:

Some do, some don't.

I know some do, but can they do so on Steam, in association with their Curator role? At least I'm not aware of anything like that.

JEMC said:
It's a good move from everybody involved, but Valve will have to watch it closely or else it may become a real problem like we've seen with review sites that were forced to give good scores to certain games in order to keep recieving copies of their games.

And quite frankly, given how bad has Valve managed the whole Greenlight/Direct side of Steam, I'm not sure they'll manage to keep this part under control.

Read that sentence again and try not to laugh. The only thing Valve will ever watch closely is their money vault.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.