By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - November 2017 NPD Thread! PS4 > XBO > Switch

zorg1000 said:
DonFerrari said:

Reason for sale, reason for the success of PS4. And why would someone decide to buy PS4 in 2017 because of Fifa 18 that prevented the person from buying it on all the previous years? That is the point about it being yearly

Thats like asking why would somebody buy a 3DS in 2016 for Pokemon Sun/Moon when they could have in 2013-2014 when previous titles released.

Or why would somebody buy a PS2 in 2004 when San Andreas released when they could have in 2001/2002 when GTA3 or Vice City released.

Or why would somebody but an NES for Super Mario Bros 3 in 1990 when they could have in 1985-88 when the first 2 released.

Are we going to start questioning whether Sun/Moon, San Andreas or Super Mario 3 were system sellers?

Besides the fact that San Andreas is a different game than GTA3 and that the franchise name grow with time, you can go for most franchises that have yearly outputs and look at the spike in sales.

I dare you find any evidence of big spikes that most would qualify as system sellers for Fifa and CoD yearly releases. Go there, pick the baseline for the month. And don't try to BS your way mixing the spike that the holiday themselves bring with the spike caused by CoD.

You can consider every single game as a system seller if you want, because there is always someone that is buying the console that week and buying that game that just released and could even be the reason that person bought it.

But when you want to compare with Zelda selling over 100% attach ratio on the release window of the console, don't come with something like a 100-500k bump on sales for a 70M console and claim the same relevance as system seller.

tbone51 said:
DonFerrari said:

Anyone denying it? But to pretend games that are yearly are bigger pushers than a game that had over 100% attach ratio is even funnier.

Well, you must discuss his points instead of dismiss asking for crystal ball and then saying you don't need.

Discuss his points? Everyone did and he is ignoring them. If i were to say this is ps4 peak year and sales are going to fall off a cliff then i would (and should) be targeted for saying such an outlandish thing

I haven't seem him ignoring this. I see him doing an analysis, that you may find bad or good, of why he think the system is selling based on Nintendo fanbase and that it will see a drop next year. Also see he putting that the main system sellers are out and there isn't a big schedule for next year and that he think a drought is coming without much 3rd party titles so the baseline will suffer, etc.

Others are just "Nintendo have over 50 big IPs that are system sellers and will make Switch soar the skies", most of those weren't able to make GC or WiiU sell.

SWORDF1SH said:
zorg1000 said:

How does being yearly stop a franchise from being a system seller? It doesnt so he has no point.

By the way, Pokemon is pretty damn close to being yearly. Since 1996 there has only been like 3 or 4 years one didnt release.

Again you are missing the point he's trying to make. If you can't see the difference between a yearly 'uodated' sports game and standalone classics then I don't know what to say.

Even though I understand what he is saying and accept his opinion, I don't entirely agree with him. For instance I believe Fifa does push console but less and less with every yearly release. Also CoD still shifts consoles but not to the extent it once did. Again that's attributed to yearly release but also franchise fatigue. 

Man, every game push some console. And perhaps first Fifa ALONE brought some 200-500k users to the system, but no way in hell the sequels are bringing similar amount. Some games sell more system on their sequels than the first game, usually when the first didn't had much hype or when the sequel is the one hyped because of the cliffhangers.

I think shadow basically showed that almost no game alone push much sales and thus far very few would really be considered system sellers.

thismeintiel said:
jason1637 said:

Wow November has been really strong this this gen and Switch should be #19 when we get numbers. Not bad for their first November.

You may want to take a closer look at that graph.  #20 is over 900K.  I'm pretty sure that it has been confirmed that the Switch did less than 900K.

zygote said:

Also keep in mind too that this is the first months of the Switch, before the word of mouth has really taken off from existing owners, before reasonable market penetration, Japan aside.  Most of the early adopters and Nintendo fans already got their Switch between launch and now.  When PS4 launched, many of those November numbers were coming from that pool of Sony fans and early adopters.  So while they were a lower 850k number, they were all mostly the fans.  Switch has already eaten through those, so these purchases are more word of mouth returns and popularity built since then at full price.  The disparity isn't in waning Switch interest, but that this is Switch's first holiday and the Switch has already been out for 8 months, this is a pattern that we have not seen for any launches other than the 3DS.  It is in an odd middle ground right now from what we have seen in the past.  Being at 900k after having an over 2 mil launch window/month and being sold out in between is actually a really good sign for the first year.  It's all about perspective.

While I agree the Switch numbers are good, your points about the PS4 are flawed.  The Nov we are comparing it to is Nov '14, which was exactly 1 year after launch.  So, the points you make in favor of the Switch for being out for 8 months must go even more in favor of the PS4, since it was out for 12 months at that point.

ThisGuyFooks said:

Is that when Xbox One won the month?

Yep.  That was the XBO Taking Back US 2.0 Thread, with Dec '13 being the first version.  It saw a big influx of XB fans who had gone silent throughout the year, as the PS4 kept winning NPD, who then went silent, again, the following year when PS4 kept winning, again.  Kinda like how a few came out of the woodwork for Amazon, and this thread, for Nov, but I expect them to go silent once again.

Well and also Switch besides being more fresh, is coming from months of out of stock pent up demand...

Intrinsic said:
ThisGuyFooks said:

That is why i think they wont be winning december.

With a 199$ deal again, they could easily take the month, but the stock just isn't there to support such deal.

Lets see...maybe they have another huge shipment for this month, but i really don't think so!

These temporal price drops really only end up doing more harm than good.

eg,

At $299, there is a sales baseline. People know they console cost $299and when they see deals like $250 they will jump at it. But the odd $250 deal isn't a hurdle big enough to prevent someone that really wants one from spending the extra $50 to get it.

But once you have a deal an price the console at $199, that baseline gets thrown out of whack. Now you will have lower sales when teh price is restored to the norm than you did before because at this point everyone is waiting for it to drop again.

Don't know who came up with this idea of temporal price drops.

Sony needs to make that $199 pricing come back and more so make it permanent. Or not they will have the worst December they have ever had. Why will anyone buy a PS4 now at $250 even when they know getting it at $199 is just around the corner.

I have been suggesting since last year that this time this year the PS4 will be $199...... I just didn't expect it to be a temporal thing.

Before this year the price drops (temporal) for sony were all 50 USD and became permanent little after. And we also have to consider that even thought MSRP dropped 100 USD for this BF, most of the year you could find some deals for 250 made by the stores.

Also I think they may do some flash sales for 199 closer to Xmas and by March have it as official price.

thismeintiel said:
Intrinsic said:

These temporal price drops really only end up doing more harm than good.

eg,

At $299, there is a sales baseline. People know they console cost $299and when they see deals like $250 they will jump at it. But the odd $250 deal isn't a hurdle big enough to prevent someone that really wants one from spending the extra $50 to get it.

But once you have a deal an price the console at $199, that baseline gets thrown out of whack. Now you will have lower sales when teh price is restored to the norm than you did before because at this point everyone is waiting for it to drop again.

Don't know who came up with this idea of temporal price drops.

Sony needs to make that $199 pricing come back and more so make it permanent. Or not they will have the worst December they have ever had. Why will anyone buy a PS4 now at $250 even when they know getting it at $199 is just around the corner.

I have been suggesting since last year that this time this year the PS4 will be $199...... I just didn't expect it to be a temporal thing.

They've been doing it all gen.  Doesn't seem to be hurting the PS4's sale too much during the rest of the year.  The only time it hurts is when it's done like MS had been doing it.  Having drastic cuts off and on throughout the year.  That's when people wait for it to go down in price, again, or to see if it drops even further to buy it.  When it's just for the holidays, when EVERYONE is doing discounts, people know its just for the holidays.

Agree.

CGI-Quality said:
tbone51 said:

It was projected for months..... Intill ps4 dropped its price to 199!

Currently projected. And only in forums was an Xbox win expected for November....

NPD Analyst: "Over 600,000 Xbox One X Sold this Year; PS4, Xbox One, Switch Could All Win November"

Very few (if any) analysts said anything otherwise.

Me and alot of others on the November prediction were putting that PS4 and X1 having good deals, X1X launching (and MS usually having great November and BF) and Switch being fully available (with Nintendo also having strong holiday growth) made it possible to all be the winner and the positioning of the ranks being more like "I think this is the most probable outcome X>Y>Z, but it could be any other combination".

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
thismeintiel said:

You may want to take a closer look at that graph.  #20 is over 900K.  I'm pretty sure that it has been confirmed that the Switch did less than 900K.

Where even is #20 on that graph? I can only see 15 bars.

Holy crap.  We both need to look at that graph closer.  Lol.  Shadow needs to change the title on that thing, as it says Top 20.

So with the 10m Nintendo figure we can say Switch sold roughly 2m in November globally... according to VGC 37.6% of Switch's are sold in the US.

So with the same ratio 770k in the US would mean.... 2.047m globally.

770k NPD CONFIRMED!?!??!?!? xD

At least it seems it's not miles out anyway.

I got the ratios wrong, but we still broke 3M, folks!

Teeqoz said:
Ryng_Tolu said:

Are you using my avatar from christmas 2015, aren't you.

Good times haha

I am indeed

VGC isn't quite the same as it was back then.

Yeah, sales sites were much better back then, i miss those those days.

It's still fun , i don't mean is not, but idk why, i doesn't feel the same... 2014-2015 were gold days.

@OP

10,000,000 Switch sold as for December 12th uh?

With still 3 weeks left, Switch should easy sell at least another 2.5-3 million units, so at the end of 2017 we should see 12.5-13 million, maybe 13.5 million, and shipments should be something 500-1m over that, so like 13.5-14.5 million shipped.

I'm ok with this, my 15m shipments prediction maybe was a bit too much, but back in January was probabily the closet prediction ever.

Around the Network
Ryng_Tolu said:

With still 3 weeks left, Switch should easy sell at least another 2.5-3 million units, so at the end of 2017 we should see 12.5-13 million, maybe 13.5 million, and shipments should be something 500-1m over that, so like 13.5-14.5 million shipped.

I'm ok with this, my 15m shipments prediction maybe was a bit too much, but back in January was probabily the closet prediction ever.

It'll be for slightly before the announcement date, someone said December 10th. Somewhere around 8th-10th anyway.

12.5-13m for end of the year sounds about right yeah.

Barkley said:
Ryng_Tolu said:

It'll be for slightly before the announcement date, someone said December 10th. Somewhere around 8th-10th anyway.

In January 2017, after the conference, most people were super pessimist, way more than in Nov/Dec 2016.

Predicting 15m shipped (not sold btw) was very absurd for 90% of people.

If final shipments are 13.5-14.5 million for the year, my prediction will be very good.

Ryng_Tolu said:
Barkley said:

In January 2017, after the conference, most people were super pessimist, way more than in Nov/Dec 2016.

Predicting 15m shipped (not sold btw) was very absurd for 90% of people.

If final shipments are 13.5-14.5 million for the year, my prediction will be very good.

I've been predicting 14 million since the Switch released. I don't remember what I put for right after the conference, though, so you win :)

EDIT: Nevermind, I predicted 10 million before the launch, and then 14 after, so you were spot on WAY before I got around to it :)

Last edited by Ariakon - on 13 December 2017

yo. Stop putting words in my mouth.

You all keep claiming I said things that I did not say.

ZhugeEX said:
yo. Stop putting words in my mouth.

You all keep claiming I said things that I did not say.

Switch over 900k confirmed!?!?!?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.