By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PSN The Biggest Online Service With 70m Active Users

It's about Steam but gives us PSN Users too:

The hugely popular gaming store Steam has stopped accepting payments for games in bitcoin, saying the cryptocurrency is too volatile.

In a blog post on Wednesday announcing the changes, Kurtis Chinn, an engineer, wrote, "As of today, Steam will no longer support bitcoin as a payment method on our platform due to high fees and volatility in the value of bitcoin."

The Steam platform, owned and operated by Valve Corporation, rivals Sony's PlayStation Network as the world's biggest gaming service, with 67 million monthly active players versus Sony's 70 million.

The decision to halt bitcoin payments doesn't seem to be related to the various controversies around bitcoin — such as whether it predominantly benefits criminals or is a massive energy drain — but because its skyrocketing value means higher transaction fees. Steam began accepting bitcoin in April 2016.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/at-70-million-active-users-monthly-psn-is-currently-the-biggest-online-gaming-service.9997/

The XB has 55m

https://www.geekwire.com/2017/xbox-live-monthly-active-user-count-reaches-record-55m-15-last-year/

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network

Monthly active users, not subscribers...

Also Steam will surpass this very soon.

And Sony gives us these numbers in their quarterly reports.

Last edited by Teeqoz - on 07 December 2017

Teeqoz said:

Corrected. Thanks.

The PS5 Exists. 

Teeqoz said:

Kinda goes without saying since Steam doesn't have a subscription model :)

What is an active user anyway. My laptop keeps me logged in to Steam at all times. I occasionally check for sales and other things. Last time I actually played a game on it was months ago, did start a game briefly this month to see how it ran.

Same for PSN. Last week I played Fortnight Battle Royale with my 8 year old on base ps4 and pro, me via remote play. So that made him part of the monthly active online users for the month. Yet I guess just him signing into psn is enough to make him active.

Wow, I thought for sure that Steam would have been higher, as it has much more of a PC monopoly than PS has a console monopoly (or at least I assume that is the case).

Around the Network

Psn includes PS3 and vita, right? Wonder how much of the userbase is on PS4

VGPolyglot said:
Wow, I thought for sure that Steam would have been higher, as it has much more of a PC monopoly than PS has a console monopoly (or at least I assume that is the case).

You are forgetting huge PC games like League of Legends (which alone probably has 30 million active users), Minecraft, all Blizzard Games, etc.

EDIT: Lol alone has 80 million monthly players. It's massive.

https://www.unrankedsmurfs.com/blog/players-2017

Last edited by Teeqoz - on 07 December 2017

monocle_layton said:

Well last year the PS4 only had half of it's install base on PSN, 25 million. So honestly it's more likely that people either get one month subs and don't resub, or there's still an active community on PS3

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
monocle_layton said:

Well last year the PS4 only had half of it's install base on PSN, 25 million. So honestly it's more likely that people either get one month subs and don't resub, or there's still an active community on PS3

Are you sure that 25 million number isn't for PS+ subscribers, and not PSN as a whole?

Honestly thought Steam was a lot bigger.