By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Sony/Nintendo going after 360

I saw that 360 is near losing first place in US too Wii and second place in Europe too PS3. Microsoft have lowered the price in Europe by alot and it have helped sales but still PS3 is outselling it they have only slowed down the PS3. They have not yet made price cut in US but they probably dont want to do it before they see GTA IV effect either way they have to do it soon. Wierd enough PS3 have utsold 360 in US for the latest months.

Nintendo are hoping to surpass 360 in US in June and Sony is hoping to do it in Europe this summer.

I believe that both will eventually surpass 360 but it might be little harder for Nintendo to do it this June with GTAIV but Nintendo also got big games like Wiifit and Mario Kart. Like usual it depends how much they ship but I am not that optimistic. But they will both definitley surpass 360 this summer. (June-September)

Prediction time folks when do you think they are going to surpass 360.(If they ever will).

Reggie "The Wii will surpass the Xbox 360 in total U.S. sales by June"
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=183063

David Reeves is predicting that PS3 is going to surpass 360 in Europe by summer.
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/01/24/scee-chief-ps3-to-overtake-xbox-in-europe-by-summer/

Around the Network

Bear in mind the 360 and PS3 are both selling well but the 360 is not selling as well as the PS3. Dropping the price of the 360 in USA around the launch of GTA 4 is a foolish move, people will get 360's and PS3's regardless if there is a price drop. To pick up an extra half million console sales for the sake of a price drop is a wrong move.

360 price drop may come before the launch of MGS 4, probably when Ninja Gaiden 2 arrives on the 360. 

Rock_on_2008: I agree with you but Microsoft have not done much in the US only 50$ after 2 years. The financial reports will show how their situation is.

The 360 is doing very well in the Americas where the shooting games attract the shooter fans to the 360 console. Gears of War 2 will be big at the end of the year. I believe getting both a PS3 and the 360 would be the best thing to do if your a hardcore gamer. PS3 for the Sony exclusives and the 360 for the 360/PC exclusives and they can be both played on a HDTV of over 40 inches and above preferably Plasma. Upgrading a PC every 6 months or having to buy a new PC rig is way to costly for the average person.

Microsoft, from what I'm hearing through these forums are finally making money of hardware, have seen their first quarter of profit and are finally beginning to show stockholders that this may have been a wise move getting in. Dropping the price now, with no discernible knowledge that it would boost sales enough to warrant said price drop is not wise. As a consumer, I know we all want those massive cuts like Sony has been making, but Sony was in dire need of those cuts since day one, and launched them the moment each one wouldn't lead them to financial ruin.

We all know Microsoft came in to disrupt Sony and they have done an amazing job of it. Sony tried to play the "bigger is better" game with Microsoft regarding specs and payed dearly, in the exact same way Sega payed for it with the Saturn. Developers don't want to learn new architecture if the tried and true is sitting right in front of them on the next guy's machine. They stole a laundry list worth of Sony third party exclusives, that helped push the PSOne and PS2 into the stratosphere(and some that didn't):

Grand Theft Auto, Devil May Cry, Katamari Damacy, Ace Combat, Resident Evil, Virtua Fighter, Soul Calibur, Armored Core, Bully, Culdcept, Dynasty Warriors, Final Fantasy XI, Guitar Hero, Kengo, Tales of..., Sylpheed, Spectral Force and Silent Hill(Not every game on this list is meant to be an important one, so don't complain)(Bolded are a big deal to have lost exclusivity on)

Microsoft came in to do a job which was to disrupt Sony, which worked, and are finally turning a small profit on a very costly investment themselves.

I think both spokespersons for Sony and Microsoft wee correct with the timeframe they'll pass 360 in both regions they spoke of. 

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Around the Network

I reckon Nintendo and Sony will do it in the already mentioned time frame, although i reckon PS3 may do it slightly quicker if GTA proves a big system seller.

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions

Pricecut or no, the fact still remains that the 360 as a product is tailormade for the North American market, and this is why the 360 is struggling outside of that market.

Gears of War 2 might not do much for the 360
I think that anyone who wants GoW2 has already got a 360
and is already playing GoW, Halo 3 and CoD4 on it..

whereas Metal Gear en Final Fantasy XIII will have more appeal on gamers of other genres and not expand the PS3 library vertically, but horizontally

a steady flow of good games is the most important
but the PS3 will be getting the biggest Franchises in differnt genres the coming year, one and a half year, with

Metal Gear Solid (tactical-adventure)
Final Fantasy XIII and Versus XIII (rpg/action)
Gran Trusimo (racing)

Mircosoft must be happy that they are getting Resident Evil 5 on the 360
cause if not, it would have been a major blow game-wise

anyhow

GoW2 is much more food for the userbase
than it is genre-breaking
as those mentioned PS3 games will be

''Hadouken!''

PS3 will catch up to 360 in 'others' by the end of 2008

It will never catch up in the US, nor world-wide overall before Xbox 3.

Ajax said:

Gears of War 2 might not do much for the 360
I think that anyone who wants GoW2 has already got a 360
and is already playing GoW, Halo 3 and CoD4 on it..

whereas Metal Gear en Final Fantasy XIII will have more appeal on gamers of other genres and not expand the PS3 library vertically, but horizontally

a steady flow of good games is the most important
but the PS3 will be getting the biggest Franchises in differnt genres the coming year, one and a half year, with

Metal Gear Solid (tactical-adventure)
Final Fantasy XIII and Versus XIII (rpg/action)
Gran Trusimo (racing)

Mircosoft must be happy that they are getting Resident Evil 5 on the 360
cause if not, it would have been a major blow game-wise

anyhow

GoW2 is much more food for the userbase
than it is genre-breaking
as those mentioned PS3 games will be

Anyone who wants MGS, Final Fantasy or Gran Turismo already owns a PS3.