By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is there a possibility of Super Mario Odyssey Ships (+Digita) Close to 10mil by years end?

Podings said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

...Still not sure why people like this so much more than Galaxy.  Maybe Super Mario Run is giving people a hunger for more Mario?

I think the NES and SNES mini tie into it as well.

And the general buzz surrounding the Switch.

And that so many people have been saving up their Nintendo bucks during the Wii U. :)

I agree with all these factors, plus they marketed the heck out of this game. I dont recall such a strong campaign for a Mario game.

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:
I think it will sell like SM Galaxy. According to this site, Galaxy released Nov 3, 2007. By first week of January, it sold approx. 4.5 million. That is what I think Odyssey will sell. Approx. 4.5 million.

Odyssey, as a game, is not terribly different from other 3D Mario games. I expect it to sell like other 3D Mario games.

Well, I was dead wrong.  It basically doubled Galaxy in the same time frame.  Still not sure why people like this so much more than Galaxy.  Maybe Super Mario Run is giving people a hunger for more Mario?

I honestly think the Galaxy games were a bit too much for more casual gamers. The gravity mechanics were probably off putting for those not well versed in 3d platformers. Odyssey I think is more accessible to the casual audience ala the 2d Mario games. 

But the Galaxy games>>>Odyssey for me. 

PortisheadBiscuit said: 
...plus they marketed the heck out of this game. I dont recall such a strong campaign for a Mario game.

They really did.

Even Russia got a very long nostalgia-themed commercial for it. And everyone around the globe had been humming Jump Up Super Star all 2017.