By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Amazon U.S. December bestsellers and general Amazon-based discussion

Kerotan said:
zorg1000 said:

Price doesnt exist in a vacuum, its not as simple as "Switch in 2017 is cheaper than PS4 in 2014 therefore it has an advantage".

PS4 had poor competition in 2014 while Switch has strong competition in 2017.

I also find it kind of funny how the argument used to be that Switch has so many hidden costs like needing to get a memory card, pro controller, case, screen protector, etc. that made it soooooo overpriced.

But now that its selling on par with PS4 in the same time frame all of a sudden those things arent a factor and it has a major price advantage over PS4.

Switch has stronger competition? Ps4 doesn't compete very well with switch in terms of a portable and it definitely doesn't in terms of its type of software. Cartoon style games mainly. Switch has very little competition. 

PS4 on the other hand directly competes with xb1 and pc. 

Switch competes with the PS4 due to it being a hybrid.So yeah, while not competing as directly as the PS4 competes with XOne, it is competing with them.And the PS4 is a strong contender, so there is that.

Plus when the PS4 launched, MS botched the launch with its horrible year one XOne policies and overall attitude towards it, and Nintendo had the Wii U.So yeah, the PS4 had it easier, though that dosent diminishes in any way its accomplishment.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network
Kerotan said:
zorg1000 said:

Price doesnt exist in a vacuum, its not as simple as "Switch in 2017 is cheaper than PS4 in 2014 therefore it has an advantage".

PS4 had poor competition in 2014 while Switch has strong competition in 2017.

I also find it kind of funny how the argument used to be that Switch has so many hidden costs like needing to get a memory card, pro controller, case, screen protector, etc. that made it soooooo overpriced.

But now that its selling on par with PS4 in the same time frame all of a sudden those things arent a factor and it has a major price advantage over PS4.

Switch has stronger competition? Ps4 doesn't compete very well with switch in terms of a portable and it definitely doesn't in terms of its type of software. Cartoon style games mainly. Switch has very little competition. 

You are cherry picking, we are talking about the dedicated gaming market, you cant just pick and choose which ones you want to compare with.

In 2014, PS3/360 had reached a saturation point and were rapidly declining. Vita/Wii U never gained traction and sold poorly throughout. 3DS had already peaked at this point and was starting to decline. XBO was still dealing with its pre-release PR blunder (DRM, always online, Kinect required, etc) and was overpriced.

In 2017, PS4 is in its prime and having its best year yet. XBO is doing decent and it had big hype for its upgrade. Both had heavy holiday discounts. 3DS is still trucking along with pretty stable sales the last few years.

Switch having a prime PS4 to compete with easily gives it stronger competition than PS4 had in its first year competitng against a bunch of poor/mediocre selling devices.

PS4 in 2017 is much stronger competition than XBO in 2014.

But other than that, there are a whole bunch of other factors to include rather than just price like you were saying earlier.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Kerotan said:

You are cherry picking, we are talking about the dedicated gaming market, you cant just pick and choose which ones you want to compare with.

In 2014, PS3/360 had reached a saturation point and were rapidly declining. Vita/Wii U never gained traction and sold poorly throughout. 3DS had already peaked at this point and was starting to decline. XBO was still dealing with its pre-release PR blunder (DRM, always online, Kinect required, etc) and was overpriced.

In 2017, PS4 is in its prime and having its best year yet. XBO is doing decent and it had big hype for its upgrade. Both had heavy holiday discounts. 3DS is still trucking along with pretty stable sales the last few years.

Switch having a prime PS4 to compete with easily gives it stronger competition than PS4 had in its first year competitng against a bunch of poor/mediocre selling devices.

But other than that, there are a whole bunch of other factors to include rather than just price like you were saying earlier.

And it’s not like Switch games (especially first party) are being priced differently compared to PS4 games too. The big games are priced at $50-60. Of course you have the usual eshop and indie titles that are either priced similarly or even a little higher than home console indies and AA titles.

zorg1000 said:
Kerotan said:

I disagree PS4/xb1 market is now way more dependent on the casual market then then it's first year or 2. switch is coming out almost 4 years later it's in it's own generation. it basically has the core market to itself. i can guarantee if switch launched during 2013 with ps4/xb1 it wouldn't be doing anywhere near as good.   

quickrick said:
zorg1000 said:

I disagree PS4/xb1 market is now way more dependent on the casual market then then it's first year or 2. switch is coming out almost 4 years later it's in it's own generation. it basically has the core market to itself. i can guarantee if switch launched during 2013 with ps4/xb1 it wouldn't be doing anywhere near as good.   

Of course you think that

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
quickrick said:

Of course you think that

What is i said is only logical and makes sense.

quickrick said:
zorg1000 said:

Of course you think that

Just like claiming Switch will fall off a cliff next year while also claiming it will be flat YOY is logical and makes sense.

zorg1000 said:
quickrick said:

Just like claiming Switch will fall off a cliff next year while also claiming it will be flat YOY is logical and makes sense.

and i showed where falling off a cliff could mean anything. yet were back at it again?

Blood_Tears said:
Aura7541 said:

Based on his posts, it sounds like he works for GameStop and has access to all of its sales numbers. While GameStop holds the plurality of the video game marketshare, it is not necessarily representative of the landscape from Best Buy, Target, Walmart, and Amazon. Abdiel has numbers from Best Buy. If his assessment shows similar patterns as Benji's, then it's safe to assume that the trends are similar in other retailers.

I am pretty sure that GameStop is number 1 in the US for software market share but Walmart is number 1 in the US for hardware market share. At least that's how it used to be.

And PS4 took Walmart over Cyber Monday in dollars, not sales. Had to have been some huge sales. So there is always that but what if scenario however unlikely it is. Also, x dropping like a ship headed towards a black hole on those amazon charts. Damn. 

quickrick said:
zorg1000 said:

Wouldn't that mean the 3DS and Wii U would not exist? If that is the case, I would think the Switch would be selling more than what it is doing now. 

Pocky Lover Boy!