By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Opinion: Sony should extend the Black Friday deals and add to them

Azzanation said:
Buisnesses need to make money. Sales are great for customers but arent great for profits obviously.

You are assuming they were selling the units at a loss. Even a smaller profit margin could be beneficial if they are selling way more units. Each console sold also always includes a game and in at least half of cases a PS+ subscriber. If they really sold 2M units there's simply NO way to try to say that was anything less than stellar.

A price cut like that is bad if it doesn't increase sales enough to offset the smaller margin. Companies seem to use the Holidays to test the waters with lower price points, claiming they are temporary so they can evaluate if it's worth it. If they slashed the price permanently, people wouldn't rush to buy it on BF and that would look bad on the quarter report (imagine having to report finishing BF behind Nintendo and MS) even if sales were good.

I would imagine that they will bring the price cut back for December and then make it definitive some point in the first half of 2018. But I wouldn't be surprised if they just tried to keep the current pricing until BF2018.

Last edited by torok - on 28 November 2017

Around the Network
cmay227 said:

When did Sony annouce they outsold every other system ever on black Friday? Links? That must be big news yet I don't see anything about it anywhere. Or just lying and hopeful it becomes truth?

The 2M figures was claimed by Ubisoft. Sony did put out an official statement saying that this was the best Black Friday for the PS brand ever (worldwide), so I think Ubi may be right. It's also 100% certain PS4 outsold all other systems since this number is worldwide and the other would not stand a chance with the EU figures pushing PS4 during BF. This year it managed to beat even PS2 best BFs, so that's a big achievement.

The battle people were saying it was more close was in the NPD. In that case it could have gone to any of the companies and it will probably be close. These Sony numbers however could indicate that Sony will win the BF and the NPD since the US is the market with the biggest boost in the BF and should account for a good percentage of these numbers.

Moneybags said:
Yes, please! I missed on the opportunity to buy. I need to buy another because my ps4 no longer senses my controllers any more.

I'll only buy at $199 tho.

They wouldn't do it, because this deals are made for getting new costumers but without making profit

Azzanation said:
Buisnesses need to make money. Sales are great for customers but arent great for profits obviously.

BS

SuperNova said:
The question is less how many units they can sell, and more do they make money on the unit they sell, I doesn't make sense for Sony to sell millions of units at a loss with their current market position.

More BS unfortunately. 

First off, I strongly doubt sony is losing anything selling at $199. If anything they could have been at this price point for a while now but didn't bother because of how well the PS4 has been selling this year at $249.

But even if they were losing something, and let's say that something is around $30 per console.... then that's a loss they can afford to bite. especially given their current market position. 

coming into this holiday season they already have an install base of 60M+. That's 60M+ of people buying games, accessories and for the most part paying for PS+ (which in case you guys are forgetting is where the real money in the console industry is. it's nice and all to make something off the hardware sold but the margins on those have never been that great. 

I don't know why anyone will think that when it comes to consoles; making money on the actual hardware is relevant. It just isn't.  if a platform holder already has a massive install base to tap into, is already making lots of money from sold games and services on their platform, selling at even a $30 loss is negligible when you consider that they can make that money back from the new user buying a game or two. or buying a controller. or paying for PS+.... and don't forget. A larger install base means more software sales overall. Which means more money. and I'm damn sure will offset whatever loss they took from selling the console at a loss. 

To OP..... I think your OP is a little misleading. almost suggests that PS4 sold over 2M in NA alone. and I don't think that's true. Further more, they don't have to start the $199 deal from the start of the month. The price should go back up to $250 or whatever it was now. Sell as much as you can sell at that higher prices point. When the $199 1TB SKU inevitably comes back in December it will still selling out anyways. 

Around the Network
WebMasterFlex said:
Moneybags said:
Yes, please! I missed on the opportunity to buy. I need to buy another because my ps4 no longer senses my controllers any more.

I'll only buy at $199 tho.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

I believe they will have some sort of PSX sale the week after the show.

PSN & XBOX GT : cutzman25

I expect an official price cut to $199 early next year when GoW launches.

$249 GoW bundurus gonna rock the world.

COKTOE said:

I thought last year Sony did that, so I wouldn't be surprised if we saw $199 PS4 til the end of this year.