By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How will the Loot Box controversy, if played out to have an effect, affect Nintendo?

Nice job differentiating between "affect" (verb) and "effect" (noun). It astounds me how few people can figure out the difference, even among native English speakers.

As for the topic...I honestly imagine Nintendo will implement loot boxes years in the future long after the discussion has ended and gamers have directed their ire towards some much worse anti-consumer practice.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Around the Network
PEEPer0nni said:
ihatefatkatz said:
it won't affect Nintendo at all. Unless they begin using lootboes

Amiibos are literally lootboxes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvpjrWIHLTA&t=244s

They literally are not.

You have to be a complete dumbass to think amiibos are lootboxes. Your item is fucking guaranteed in a complete game. In what way is that gambling?

OT nintendo games have a limit on how much money you can spend on microtransactions a month. I believe it's due to japan law, but I see it spreading soon. Probably a regulation forcing companies to not let anyone spend, say, more than $100 on virtual currencies

So in conclusion, if the Loot Box issues that came up courtesy of E.A and Battlefront 2 do continue Nintendo should not suffer adverse effects in particular compared to say, EA Activsion or 2k.

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

Amiibos are not really gambling AFAIKS.
Though at the end of the day Amiibos do look like they're dying
Q1 2016 4.2million === Q1 2017 1.7million
Q2 2016 6.4million === Q2 2017 2.1million
Q3 2016 9.9million === Q3 2017 3.8million

so perhaps they will just fade out of their own accord since people don't seem to be buying them as much

Around the Network

Millions sold are hardly small amounts

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

GProgrammer said:

so perhaps they will just fade out of their own accord since people don't seem to be buying them as much

Thank god. Fuck dlc locked content behind shitty figurines. It already affects gamemodes and equipment we don't it to affect every other aspect of their games. That would be a disaster. 

PEEPer0nni said:
GProgrammer said:

Thank god. Fuck dlc locked content behind shitty figurines. It already affects gamemodes and equipment we don't it to affect every other aspect of their games. That would be a disaster. 

I think the quality of the figurines is pretty good. I am not buying amiibos because of what they unlock or what features they have but because I want the figurine. I could give a flying fuck about costumes and such. Also, you still don't miss anything from the game by playing without amiibos, so you make a bigger deal out of it than it actually is.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Hopefully it doesn't. Nintendo doesn't need to be picking up that terrible practice. Hopefully loot boxes get shot down with the current controversy going on with them. Nintendo's dlc track record hasn't been the best lately, even though they got it right with the MK8 season pass.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

I don't see Nintendo doing lootboxes unless they have a monopoly on gaming. It would hurt the more then will help. I mean 2k and EA only do lootboxes because they have monopoly on sports and Star Wars. So they just take advantage of the consumer.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you.