Who will be EA's next victim?

DICE 2 5.56%

BioWare 13 36.11%

Criterion Games 7 19.44%

Respawn Entertainment 3 8.33%

Switch owners ungrateful about getting FIFA 8 22.22%

Other (please specify any glaring omissions) 3 8.33%

Total:36

Ah, so this is exactly what I was expecting. Excellent! Well, EA is not excellent, but this thread is.

Anyway, BioWare.

Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
okr said:
Westwood Studios and Origin Systems are still the most bitter ones.

Bullfrog not so much, Molyneux would have destroyed his company anyway.

Im pretty sure Molyneux left a few years before Bullfrog closed

My point is, Molyneux destroyed his company when he (together with his partner) decided to sell it to EA without getting the guarantee to run the company the way they wanted. If he wouldn‘t have sold the company to EA and given away artistic control, he would have made another stupid business decision which would eventually have led to Bullfrog‘s demise. Molyneux is (respectively was) a great game designer but a terrible business man. (I loved Magic Carpet, Syndicate and especially Dungeon Keeper, btw.)

See Westwood as counter-example: Most people don‘t know that "Westwood Associates" had already been acquired by Virgin Interactive 6 years before they got acquired by EA (thanks to financial troubles at Virgin). In the early 90s, after their initial success with (especially) Eye of the Beholder, Brett Sperry & Louis Castle wanted to make games with bigger budgets. In order to get more money they decided to sell their company, but it was most important to them to keep full control (that‘s the difference to Molyneux). So in 1992 they declined offers from other companies like Sierra Entertainment in favor of Virgin Interactive as the latter company was the only one to guarantee Westwood full artistic control and worldwide self-marketing. Under Virgin the (now renamed) "Westwood Studios" created Dune II (one of my all-time favorites and one of the most influential games ever created), Command & Conquer series, Lands of Lore I&II, The Legend of Kyrandia trilogy and Blade Runner (I loved and played all these games).

You forgot ghost games. They just released two mediocre need for speed games I'm a row. I just cancelled my purchase of nfs payback because it's filled with scummy micro transactions and lootboxes.

Also, dice is ea's money maker, they aren't going anywhere.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Bloody hell they almost have a full top 20.

flashfire926 said:
You forgot ghost games. They just released two mediocre need for speed games I'm a row. I just cancelled my purchase of nfs payback because it's filled with scummy micro transactions and lootboxes.

I thought about Ghost Games, but they were only created within EA relatively recently to make Need for Speed titles, and none of them look all that good.
Do people really want them on the list?

Wyrdness said:

haha

Around the Network
Shaunodon said:
flashfire926 said:

I thought about Ghost Games, but they were only created within EA relatively recently to make Need for Speed titles, and none of them look all that good.
Do people really want them on the list?

Wyrdness said:

haha

Yeah, all signs point to payback underperforming, and even without that ghost is 100x more likely to close than dice.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

they made NFS Rivals which was pretty good but doesnt come close to the great NFS games of the past.

Jumpin said:

Seriously, fuck Bioware. I’ve always found them wildly overrated.

Does that mean they deserve to be closed down? 

Added Ghost Games to the Hitlist and updated the pecking order.

DEFCON 1: Criterion Games
DEFCON 2: Bioware
DEFCON 3: Ghost Games
DEFCON 4: DICE/Respawn
DEFCON 5: EA Sports teams