By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - New Vega and ryzen APU Notebook for $599 just released!

TomaTito said:
Pemalite said:

At-least you know my views are consistent. ;)

Scaling has been improved in Windows 10 though.

Another factor to take into account with resolution is battery life, specially for a portable device.

Got reminded of it while reading this, "There is a downside to going with the 4K version: Lenovo says you should get around 15.5 hours of battery life with a 1080p version of the laptop. That number drops to 10.5 hours for the 4K model."

Well. Yes. Increasing resolution does come with the caveat of higher power consumption, provided everything else is equal.

There have been cases in the smartphone world where a manufacturer like Samsung has shifted over to a 1440P display... Which actually used less energy than the 1080P display on the prior model, mostly because the panel technology is far more energy efficient.

Another example is when displays made the shift from Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamp (CCFL) to Light Emitting Diode (LED) as the backlight, big gains in form factor, cost, energy efficiency and brightness was achieved, regardless of the resolution.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
TomaTito said:

Another factor to take into account with resolution is battery life, specially for a portable device.

Got reminded of it while reading this, "There is a downside to going with the 4K version: Lenovo says you should get around 15.5 hours of battery life with a 1080p version of the laptop. That number drops to 10.5 hours for the 4K model."

Well. Yes. Increasing resolution does come with the caveat of higher power consumption, provided everything else is equal.

There have been cases in the smartphone world where a manufacturer like Samsung has shifted over to a 1440P display... Which actually used less energy than the 1080P display on the prior model, mostly because the panel technology is far more energy efficient.

Another example is when displays made the shift from Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamp (CCFL) to Light Emitting Diode (LED) as the backlight, big gains in form factor, cost, energy efficiency and brightness was achieved, regardless of the resolution.

That could happen, although due to the technology used and not resolution.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

I'm still waiting for the desktop APU's. It's quite impressive they managed to squeeze a 4C/8T CPU with Vega graphics into a 15-25 Watt package. I'm curious to see what a 65W APU would manage performance wise. My PC really needs an upgrade AMD.

WolfpackN64 said:
I'm still waiting for the desktop APU's. It's quite impressive they managed to squeeze a 4C/8T CPU with Vega graphics into a 15-25 Watt package. I'm curious to see what a 65W APU would manage performance wise. My PC really needs an upgrade AMD.

agreed they only announced 2 new apu notebook chips but I think they will release higher end stuff soon

craighopkins said:
WolfpackN64 said:

agreed they only announced 2 new apu notebook chips but I think they will release higher end stuff soon

These APU's actually have a disabled CU.

There is the potential we might see a higher clock quad with 11 CU's. (11 * 64 = 704 pipes.) later on.
Hopefully it comes with faster DDR4 support too... Because DDR4 2400mhz~ is starving these integrated graphics of bandwidth.

I would like to see a hex-core APU at some point too with the full CU count and 3200Mhz DDR4 (Or better) support, would make a good 720P gaming chip.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--