By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - October 2017 NPD Thread! Switch #1

Jranation said:
This guy really cares about the Switch and Nintendo!

They make some of the best games so lots of gamers care about them. Thats why the Switch is selling so well.

Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Lawlight said:

People predict that the Switch would do above 400k. Switch does less than 300k. I'm not sure how there's any ambiguity to how to interpret that.

What? Lmao. That wasn't SHADOW's prediction. That was other people's predictions. All he said was who cares about their predictions which ... you know ... is what any analyst would do? Just because people overshot their predictions doesn't mean Shadow, who posted a reasonable one, should have to claim responsibility. 

You are hilarious.

I wasn't talking about Shadow's prediction. I was calling out his post when someone said it's unimpressive. He can just leave his analysis if he wants to but don't try to  shut down the fact that people here have been expecting a lot more.

And again, adding lmao doesn't make your post any better. In fact, it makes it worse.

Lawlight said:

I'm not going to defend Shadow but I seem to remember him and this new user butting heads since yesterday so I'm sure your basic analysis is leaving out quite a bit of context. I'm not going to apologize for saying 'lmao' on the internet especially when I'm not pretending to be an academic or a master debater. That's generally something anyone says when they can't take what they're reading seriously, which unfortunately is the case in this scenario. Shadow already made a reasonable reply to you, instead of acting like he doesn't exist go talk to him yourself.  

Shadow1980 said:
Kai_Mao said:

I think some forget that Mario has been an evergreen title for decades. Nice first week sales, but even more impressive legs Odyssey will probably continue to sell even as years go by. Hell, why do you think games like Mario Kart and Animal Crossing keep popping up in charts, especially in Japan, every once in a while even after 1-3 years of release?

Hell, Mario Kart Wii is #96 right now in the hourly best-sellers chart on Amazon, and New SMB Wii is at #146. They just keep selling despite closing in on a decade old. No wonder they both pulled over 30 million copies.

Lawlight said:

I am saying that it’s unimpressive. I think a lot of us do as well - based on the predictions they made.

A lot of people grossly overestimated how well the Switch would do. I've seen a lot of 400k+ predictions both here and on ResetEra, some even over 500k and 600k. I have no idea why in the hell anyone would think the Switch would sell that damn much in a 4-week month, given that at best Super Mario has a modest effect on hardware sales. Someone must have been misinterpreting some prior LTD sales estimate. NPD had the Switch at a bit over 2.32M at the end of September, and that news report from a couple of weeks ago said the Switch was at "over 2.6 million" at the end of October, meaning the Switch would have to have sold somewhere in the 275k to 375k range in October, with a reasonable assumption that the actual number was at the low to mid end of the range. As it turns out, it was towards the lower end. Anybody that estimated anything 400k or more was either unaware of that news report, or had no idea where the Switch was at the end of September.

My own prediction was one of the most conservative out of all the estimates I've seen, overestimating the actually tally by only about 11-13% (assuming sales of 295k ±3k), not too far outside any reasonable margin of error (and when we're just guessing, a MoE of 10% isn't unreasonable). I was assuming the first three weeks of October would retain the 63k/week average of September, with SMO driving the fourth week to about 2 to 2.5 times the aforementioned 63k/week average, putting it in the 315 to 346.5k range. I split the difference down the middle and guessed 330k. Either SMO didn't give as big of a boost as I thought, or weekly sales for the first three weeks declined a bit from the September average.

So, while a lot of people may have been far, far off the mark, the sales themselves when viewed purely on their own relative to other systems and the Switch's own prior sales are not unimpressive. They are actually quite good, even if SMO wasn't a massive system-seller.

I think there is a big difference between being impressive, and being good. i expected 350k at a minimum, and 380 on the top. 

Lawlight said:

I'm not going to defend Shadow but I seem to remember him and this new user butting heads since yesterday so I'm sure your basic analysis is leaving out quite a bit of context. I'm not going to apologize for saying 'lmao' on the internet especially when I'm not pretending to be an academic or a master debater. That's generally something anyone says when they can't take what they're reading seriously, which unfortunately is the case in this scenario. Shadow already made a reasonable reply to you, instead of acting like he doesn't exist go talk to him yourself.  

No, it's something someone says when they're upset at something but try to make light of it.

And I was going to reply to him but since he said he'll ignore me, there's no point

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:
palou said:

Ah, yes, that would make the info completely useless, considering the huge gap between Galaxy and Galaxy 2 numbers.

More Mario numbers for reference:

Sunshine: 350k
Galaxy 2: 564k
New SMB Wii: 1.39M
New SMB U: 243k
3D World: 215k

Mario games are more like slow-burners, gaining their impressive sales over the long haul rather than blowing their wad month-one with huge launches and then having weak legs like so many other big AAA games do. Galaxy and Odyssey had by far the best launches of any 3D Mario game, but a million copies isn't exactly record-breaking. That being said, I do think SMO has the capacity to sell over 10 million copies lifetime. SM64 and Galaxy 1 are the best-selling 3D Mario games for home consoles, and they both sold over 11 million.

I guess the question is if being 4th is impressive where do your draw the line.  PS4 and X1 have had several near 300k Octobers don't recall anyone claiming they were impressive.  Normally impressive means exceptional.  

Lawlight said:

No, it's something someone says when they're upset at something but try to make light of it.

And I was going to reply to him but since he said he'll ignore me, there's no point

Upset at something? What would I be upset at? The discussion we're having is about Shadow, a user I rarely interact with. What is there to be upset about? Your point would make a lot more sense if we were talking Nintendo sales - at least then you could pull the "You're a Nintendo fanboy" card, but we're not, at least not directly. I just laughed, genuinely. 

Oh boy, why do I take the bait.

People need to show Shadow some respect, he contributes a ton for this site with his graphs, analysis and Amazon thread along with being one of the least biased users i can think of.

Keep up the good work Shadow!!!!

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
People need to show Shadow some respect, he contributes a ton for this site with his graphs, analysis and Amazon thread along with being one of the least biased users i can think of.

This! He is one of the best users here! Contributes sooooooo much! 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

zorg1000 said:

This. Shadows graphs contribute a lot to the thread and the Amazon threads are some of the most popular threads on the site.