By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ubisoft Discusses The Future Of Single-Player Games

Mnementh said:

Pokemon is multiplayer

Sure... riiiiight.

Ka-pi96 said:

Oh, I'd concur! But there is definitely a difference between a game that has single player but still allows for a popular multiplayer mode and one that's purely focused on the single player aspect.

Okay then, GTA5 which is the biggest selling game ever which people bought because of it's online mode. Gotcha.

So 50% of the top selling games? Eitherway, there is no 'potential' just PR bullcrap to explain why you have to log into Uplay.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
The Fury said:

I'm not sure if this is a serious questions.

http://www.vgchartz.com/yearly/2017/Global/

I'm including GTA5 btw.

I wouldn't. I'd say having single player and being a single player game are two different things. If it's got any multiplayer at all it's not really a single player game, it just has a single player mode.

I didn't buy GTA 5 to play the MP crap.

Ka-pi96 said:
Volterra_90 said:

I'd say that it's dependant on why the consumers bought the game. I mean, Mario has a co-op mode, but I'd hardly say that people buy the game to be able to play with Cappy xD. Not sure about the appeal of GTA Online though.

Yeah but there's no real way to know why people bought the game. I mean there's people that buy COD for the campaign (I know my dad does, and he never touchs the multiplayer), but to use that as an example of a single player game selling well doesn't really feel accurate.

Oh and the appeal of GTA Online is HUGE! It's making an absolute killing for Take 2.

Well what would you consider Uncharted 3/4 and TLoU? Since they have SP and MP modes.

The Fury said:
Mnementh said:

Pokemon is multiplayer

Sure... riiiiight.

Ka-pi96 said:

Oh, I'd concur! But there is definitely a difference between a game that has single player but still allows for a popular multiplayer mode and one that's purely focused on the single player aspect.

Okay then, GTA5 which is the biggest selling game ever which people bought because of it's online mode. Gotcha.

So 50% of the top selling games? Eitherway, there is no 'potential' just PR bullcrap to explain why you have to log into Uplay.

As far as I can tell from what's in the OP, potential is the word the writer of the article chose to sum up the CEO's statement, not the word Yves actually used himself. Not sure why you're getting so hung up on it.

Ka-pi96 said:
Mandalore76 said:
The day single player gaming ends, is the day I stop gaming
. I like sports titles, but they are 100x more fun for me when I actually have people over playing them with me. And first person shooter titles are no where near as fulfilling for me as taking on a story driven single player adventure.

Good thing that day will never come then

Here, here!

Around the Network
Volterra_90 said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Yeah but there's no real way to know why people bought the game. I mean there's people that buy COD for the campaign (I know my dad does, and he never touchs the multiplayer), but to use that as an example of a single player game selling well doesn't really feel accurate.

Oh and the appeal of GTA Online is HUGE! It's making an absolute killing for Take 2.

Yeah, that rule applies on the contrary too. You can only deduct why people buy those games in the first place. In the case of CoD I'd say that it definitely sells well because of the MP. Though in my case, I'd only buy a CoD game if the campaign is great, so that really varies.

Still, single-player games surely still have a lot of appeal, for sure. And I'd say that Ubisoft is better at making SP games than MP-focused games. By miles XD.

Well we had a similar thread where they showed that 10% did not finished the first mission and 60% did not finished the campaign in Call of duty. (Numbers can be different now)

Secondly my method is =>    Is it a MP or SP game?  =>   What will hurt the most if they cut it from the game? SP or MP?    MP will hurts the most = Example Call of Duty.  So we can call it a MP game...          Sp will hurts the most if cut => Example Uncharted...So for me it is a Single Player game.

Angelus said:

As far as I can tell from what's in the OP, potential is the word the writer of the article chose to sum up the CEO's statement, not the word Yves actually used himself. Not sure why you're getting so hung up on it.

Article writer or Ubisoft CEO, the word potential is not used in the correct context. If they were talking VR, it would make sense. 

Hmm, pie.

shikamaru317 said:
archer9234 said:

I didn't buy GTA 5 to play the MP crap.

Yeah, but Take-Two has made more money from GTA Online than they have made from the sales of GTA V itself. 

I don't care about that. If they drop Single Player from GTA 6. Than I stop buying the series.

I haven't played an Ubisoft game in so long, I didn't even know they require their own separate login. Lame.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

I hope that their changes "to save single player game" doesn't end up destroying their single player. But it's good to see more and more companies supporting SP.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."