Forums - PC Discussion - Intel and AMD Team Up on PC Chips to Battle Nvidia

Has Hell Frozen over?

yes 27 65.85%

no 5 12.20%

I saw this coming, long ago. 9 21.95%

Total:41
JRPGfan said:
DonFerrari said:
It's quite funny that both companies that have CPU and GPU lines are partnering to have one's CPU and other's GPU instead of Intel partner with NVidia for this.

a qoute from a anandtech user said it well:

"IMHO, this is a great move from AMD + RTG.

Intel sees Nvidia as the real threat because the deep learning and data centres are where the money is.
Nvidia has a huge revenue and can leverage more financial power comapred to AMD and as such is am ore threatening adversary. Besides the friction between Intel and Nvidia, I think Intel of the last decade has a soft spot for AMD.
Funny thing is that because Intel has higher prices because of the margins, that indirectly thay also kept AMD afloat. If Intel would have sold their cpu's for the same prices as AMD,
everybody who has a smaller budget would also have gone for Intel depriving AMD from selling any cpu.
Intel has a better relationship with AMD, and this is actually a win win situation for AMD / RTG.
because they will sell more gpus. Have Intel + AMD brand recognition. This is very good for AMD / RTG in the long run because it means financial income in the long run.
The laptop market is very big, so this makes sense.
For AMD this is another custom design but if it is any gcn or ncu alike, it also could mean more HSA adoption and more use of GCN gpu derivate as a general compute source.
Nvidia has been very smart with promoting cuda as they have done. Now it is a household name in the pc programming world for various disciplines.
And AMD could use the same effect very much."

Let's hope we can see good results from this

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

Sounds good. But I was already exited for raven ridge. While this might be a better chip, Im more looking for affordability. So amd/amd would probably be cheaper than intel/amd.

The only thing that has me curious is the 4k thing. As I heard, not sure, but only intel can do 4k hdmi on laptops due to some patent. Hopefully that is not true. If anybody can confirm.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

This was a shock for sure.

I'm reading laptop but wonder if this could be applicable to windows tablets, self-contained VR headsets and even competitors for the Nintendo Switch.

SuperNova said:
Apple is going to be all over this with the mbps. They prefer to go eith integrated graphics for their laptops and this is going to allow them to do that.
Although it looks to be kaby lake for now, so a quad core configuration might be some time off.

This is more like semi-integrated graphics.

Bofferbrauer2 said:

It's using just one single stack of HBM2, limiting the bandwith to something around 250GB/s

256GB/s is the limit for a HBM2 stack.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

Being that I currently work out at the central R&D center for Intel as an electrician, this news is rather shocking to my coworkers. Very shocking indeed.

Hopefully a design like this isn't next gen console worthy. Seeing Intel use this and purposely undercut AMD to get into the consoles would be a huge kick in the nuts.

Really unlikely, but if they did... WOW.

I'd rather have a high end Nvidia card and a high end intel cpu that does not feature built in graphics.

Captain_Yuri said:
Now Intel is using Glue

It's special Intel Glue though, not nasty cheap AMD Glue.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

NATO said:
I'd rather have a high end Nvidia card and a high end intel cpu that does not feature built in graphics.

Pretty sure everybody does as well, but as stated before, this is cheaper, smaller form and more power efficient. But less powerfull.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.