By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Texas church shooting leaves many dead (atleast 27).

Ka-pi96 said:
Jumpin said:

Nope, I am using the  Merriam-Webster English Legal Dictionary definition.

I am also not claiming that terrorism is a well defined term. It is silly sounding, poorly defined, and poorly used. You may as well call it Evilism.

Well that's your issue. American isn't really English...

And it is well defined, as shown by proper English dictionaries which list it's origin as well: "Late 18th century (in reference to the rule of the Jacobin faction during the the period of the French Revolution known as the Terror): from French terrorisme, from Latin terror (see terror).."

Touche! I was probably being overly difficult.

Although I think the French term might be understood differently, considering they were the founders of the current nation. Terrorism in late-18th century France was a populist movement. They had taken power in the name of democracy and freedom while committing acts of terror against the ancient regime. Like ISIS, they did a lot of bombings and beheadings.

I think the term has been ressurected and popularized today not for any objective purpose, but only to make things sound more terrifying. It might just be me, but it is kind of a funny word... not that terrorism/murder/bombs/beheadings/extreminism are funny things, just the word "terror!" is kind of funny.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

it's time to make bullets cost 1000 dollars a pop. so if someone got shot then we'd all know they did something to deserve it.

People would actually go and get jobs to afford a bullet. Maybe 2 jobs.

/s

congress needs to get off their lazy ass and do something to get semi auto weapons out of the market. A weapon design to kill hundreds of people in less than a minute should be illegal. That's a war weapon, not a civilian weapon. /rant

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
SpokenTruth said:
How many more must die?

After Sandy Hook we learned there is no number.  At least until the people in mass vote out large sections of congress and replace them with people who want change.

At thi spoint all corner sof this debate just copy paste the same talking points we've gone over dozens of times as it has become sadly routine.  Even say that has now become trite.

deskpro2k3 said:
it's time to make bullets cost 1000 dollars a pop. so if someone got shot then we'd all know they did something to deserve it.

People would actually go and get jobs to afford a bullet. Maybe 2 jobs.

/s

congress needs to get off their lazy ass and do something to get semi auto weapons out of the market. A weapon design to kill hundreds of people in less than a minute should be illegal. That's a war weapon, not a civilian weapon. /rant

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

numberwang said:

According to his "friends" and his social media posts he was a militant atheist, ranting about stupid believers.

"Classmate Nina Rosa Nava write on Facebook that the mass murderer used to rant on the social network about his atheist beliefs. She said: “He was always talking about how people who believe in God were stupid and trying to preach his atheism.”"

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4851812/texas-church-shooting-devin-kelley-facebook-atheism/

This might be the first case of atheist-terrorism in the US.

If that's actually the case I'm suprised it took so long.

Can't wait for the religious right to connect atheism to violence. Oh wait, they probably already did.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
vivster said:
numberwang said:

According to his "friends" and his social media posts he was a militant atheist, ranting about stupid believers.

"Classmate Nina Rosa Nava write on Facebook that the mass murderer used to rant on the social network about his atheist beliefs. She said: “He was always talking about how people who believe in God were stupid and trying to preach his atheism.”"

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4851812/texas-church-shooting-devin-kelley-facebook-atheism/

This might be the first case of atheist-terrorism in the US.

Can't wait for the religious right to connect atheism to violence. Oh wait, they probably already did.

State-atheism (USSR, Red China, Cambodia etc) were one of the most violent movements in history.

The man who chased away the shooter. Edit: there was another shooter earlier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwYd2kIZxk4

Last edited by numberwang - on 06 November 2017

numberwang said:
vivster said:

State-atheism (USSR, Red China, Cambodia etc) were one of the most violent movements in history.

There is no such thing as "state-atheism". Atheism is a belief based on rational thought that a person will find on his own. That's the great thing about atheism, you don't need to be indoctrinated by your parents or the state to find it.

None of the states you mentioned used atheism as a tool to oppress people, simply because there are no atheist policies to use because atheism does not have policies. It just so happened that those states were not ruled my religion.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
numberwang said:

There is no such thing as "state-atheism". Atheism is a belief based on rational thought that a person will find on his own. That's the great thing about atheism, you don't need to be indoctrinated by your parents or the state to find it.

None of the states you mentioned used atheism as a tool to oppress people, simply because there are no atheist policies to use because atheism does not have policies. It just so happened that those states were not ruled my religion.

I was about to say it, but you beat me to it, so I'll just say... pretty much this. I would only change from "belief..." to "disbelief in gods"

Nothing more is needed. No rules or instructions bind every atheist together. It's just an opinion on 1 single subject.

vivster said:
numberwang said:

Only one correction. Atheism is not belief based. It is a lack of belief.

Rest is correct. There is no agenda, no doctrine, no rules, nothing of that sort in atheism. Atheism is just a theological position whereas an atheist don't believe in a god or gods.

But some theists, mostly apologists, doesn't understand this simple explanation. 

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3