By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Odyssey is an amazing game...but do not go for 100% [Spoilers]

Been a while since I made a thread so here we go.

I just 100% Mario Odyssey about 1 hour ago, I got all 880 unique moons plus the ones you can buy at the shop to cap at 999 moons; all purple coins in all kingdoms; all costumes (including the 9999 coin Skeleton suit); all souvenirs; all hat captures….basically everything.

And...It is not worth it.

Let me be clear that Odyssey is an amazing game, extremely creative, fun and sometimes challenging (post game stuff mostly), been a while since I had just pure fun on a game.

I have 100% all main Mario games since Mario 64, and this one (alongside Mario 3D World) has been one of the more tedious for mainly two reasons:

1)

Getting Power Moons get repetitive after the main story, there’s really not much variety when you think about it, you will have to repeat a lot of tasks just different kingdoms, for example: getting a goomba to the girl goomba, find seeds to plant, find a cap to bring him a capture enemy, find a floating Sphinx or Taxi in the sky, just to name a few. This gets tiresome really quick when going for 100%

Some of these ‘repetitive’ tasks are not always bad, for example the koopa racing is fun in all kingdoms and the hat doors (I think that’s what they are called?) bring plenty of variety.

2)

This is the main one; there are 880 unique moons in the game, including all the tedious tasks I mentioned above, but the Odyssey caps at 999 moons, to get this remaining 119 moons you have to buy all of them from a store, each moon costs 100 coins so you have to get 11900 coins to 100%....this means an absurd amount of coin grinding, PLUS there a huge amount of costumes that are pretty expensive (including the Skeleton suit which costs 9999 coins), so in total you need at least 30000+ coins. I had to watch a youtube video to find the best way to coin grind.

And the biggest thing is that 100% the game with all 999 moons gives you a pretty bad reward, not gonna spoil it, but let’s just say is….underwhelming.

I truly don’t understand Nintendo’s design choice of my second point; why not just leave it at 880 moons? Instead of doing this weird 999 moons cap? Weird case of going for quantity over quality.

In any case, Mario Odyssey is a great game, but my recommendation is that, unless you want bragging rights, don’t get everything in the game, in my opinion is not worth the effort; just enjoy the game until you are satisfied and you will get the best Mario experience to date.

Last edited by osed125 - on 05 November 2017

Nintendo and PC gamer

Around the Network

I'd say that people who might be burned of finding moons or doesn't find it fun should still go at least for 500 moons. The rest of them, well, if you're having fun, why not? If not, maybe it's a bit pointless.

I did not read OP - Is it Sunshine bad? (Not only is it not worth the work but its not fun)

Already done 100% and I had a fucking blast doing it.

I can never be bothered 100% a game these days, unless trophies are involved xD wayy to much of a backlog.

Around the Network
Xxain said:
I did not read OP - Is it Sunshine bad? (Not only is it not worth the work but its not fun)

Fun is subjective, you might have fun doing some of the tasks, but keep in mind it can get repetitive.

As for not worth it....the reward for getting the 880 unique moons is good, not amazing or anything but good. The reward from getting 999 moons is not worth it at all.

Nintendo and PC gamer

I'm pretty sure it's tradition in 3D Mario's to give a pretty lacklustre reward for getting 100%

Same with Super Mario 64, Sunshine and now this. I'm still going to 100% it for the fun of it though.

Last edited by Green098 - on 05 November 2017

osed125 said:
Xxain said:

Fun is subjective, you might have fun doing some of the tasks, but keep in mind it can get repetitive.

As for not worth it....the reward for getting the 880 unique moons is good, not amazing or anything but good. The reward from getting 999 moons is not worth it at all.

It is worth it. You can be proud that you prevailed over everything the developers threw at you. You beat them at their own game.

I'm at 800. Still going for 100% and be done with it.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

KLXVER said:
osed125 said:

It is worth it. You can be proud that you prevailed over everything the developers threw at you. You beat them at their own game.

I would agree with you on the 880 moons, but definitely not 999 moons; there's really no fun or challenge in coin grinding.  

Nintendo and PC gamer