By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Xenoblade Chronicles Series Thread: Definitive Edition (All Spoilers in Tags)

Yeah, I spent like 80% of the game with Shulk, Reyn and Sharla. No problems whatsoever. Then I got near the end of the game and those floating balls of ether kicked my ass. Then I got to the first disciple boss battle and surprise surprise, it was surrounded by more balls of ether. I died many times. Until I put Melia on the team. Easy win after that xD

But yeah, the original team is great for most of the adventure. Very balanced and they have great lines of dialogue between them.

Around the Network

https://www.frontlinejp.net/2020/05/28/xenogears-2-didnt-happen-because-of-ff-spirits-within-monolith-soft-president-sugiura/?fbclid=IwAR15FAhSEepSBc6yYy18CTE-wLmOUYJzizd_ThBsVsTzDZAAmmUSLZbhTXo

Wyrdness said:
https://www.frontlinejp.net/2020/05/28/xenogears-2-didnt-happen-because-of-ff-spirits-within-monolith-soft-president-sugiura/?fbclid=IwAR15FAhSEepSBc6yYy18CTE-wLmOUYJzizd_ThBsVsTzDZAAmmUSLZbhTXo

Many people forget that Xenoblade Chronicles was actually an elaborate tech demo that was wrapped up into a game.

While the setting is the two giants, the actual plot elements are all lifted from Xenogears, except in a stripped down and repackaged form; with much less connective tissue between all of the elements.

In a way, Breath of the Wild is the combination of the life's work of Shigeru Miyamoto and Tetsuya Takahashi, brought to life by the team of Eiji Aonuma and the talented team members from across Nintendo, including a large chunk from Monolithsoft studio.

What I would like to see is the next full Xeno game to take advantage of the learnings of Breath of the Wild, and incorporate them into another one of the most conceptually interesting world's ever brought to video games; while some complained about Xenoblade Chronicles X, I personally thought Mira, and the idea of bringing a city from Earth and landing it there, was in the top 3 most interesting concepts I have ever come across in video games. I also enjoyed the different dynamic of storytelling, rather than a straight-up plot thread or two, it was more like a matryoshka membrane, where you start off on one layer, and each new chapter, rather than entering a new segment of a thread, is pealing back a whole new layer of the world and its development; how this city, NLA copes with their new alien environment.

I'd love to see that concept expanded... but knowing Tetusuya Takahashi, the next game will have some kind of dymanic expanded beyond even that. I think Breath of the Wild's experiential synthesis of emergent gameplay and storytelling is brilliant, and I don't think I've seen it done quite to that level before in a game of even close to that level of polish and accessibility: games like Dwarf Fortress still top the pile in terms of emergent gameplay and storytelling, but it's also easily the least accessible and least polished of great games available today.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

RolStoppable said:
JWeinCom said:

Do you know if the expert mode also increases the overall difficulty?  I'd like to be able to adjust my levels, but I don't necessarily want the game to be harder.

It's now confirmed that expert mode does not increase the difficulty. The only thing "expert" about it is that the player themself has to take control over the balance in the game, so the only reason not to activate expert mode is if someone wants to experience the biggest flaw of the original game. Also, expert mode can be used simultaneously with casual mode, just in case that someone wants to know if it's possible to use all available options.

Makes sense that expert isn't higher difficulty, because the original game's toughest bosses were already scaled to require in-depth preparation.

What is that flaw?

Signature goes here!

RolStoppable said:
TruckOSaurus said:

What is that flaw?

EXP that is earned from sidequests is automatically applied to your party, so it happens quickly that you are overleveled. There are sidequests with clock icons that stand for timed quests; these expire once you've progressed the story past a certain point, but the game doesn't tell you when that point is. That's why it's likely that players who don't want to miss out try to do a lot of sidequests and that inevitably results in being overleveled for large stretches of the game.

Another drawback that comes with this is that EXP, skill points and talent points scale in relation to your party level compared to the enemy level, so being overleveled means pitiful skill and talent points. This can bite you in the butt late in the game because you'll have underdeveloped skills and talents once you stop being overleveled. A sudden sharp difficulty spike on the final stretch of the story is the result and it's common that players have to grind in order to make it across the finish line.

So I highly recommend to enable expert mode as soon as you have control over Shulk at the beginning of the game. All the EXP you earn from travel points, landmarks and sidequests will be put in a pool that you can always access when you feel that the game got too hard. You can even adjust your level down if you want; in return the EXP goes back into the pool, so you don't lose anything and can play the game at just the right difficulty for you while not having to worry about sidequest completion throwing off the difficulty balance like in the original release.

As practical example, Shulk and Reyn are at level 2 after the first couple of forced battles. I enabled expert mode and reset their level to 1 and remained at level 1 until I set out to do sidequests around colony 9, the starting area. In the original game I was at level 5 at the same point due to all the travel points and landmarks you activate early on. Expert mode made the initial couple of hours already a lot more satisfying for me. And like I said, you are free to adjust your level up and down, so if you felt level 1 is too hard, you could begin the game for real at level 2-5 too, because that's the amount of EXP that will be in your pool.

EDIT: Projected level after clearing out colony 9 in expert mode: 11. Original game for comparison: 13. Projected EXP amount in the pool: Enough to adjust up to 15. So the EXP pool is bound to make me end up with more EXP than in the original, simply because starting at level 1 rewards me with more EXP from battles. Not that I'll intend to use the pool, but for many others the pool will prove to be beneficial if they want to cut down on grinding later in the game.

Thanks for the breakdown. I would have probably went with the regular mode since I've never played it but this makes me think that I'll indeed opt to go with Expert Mode.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
Vodacixi said:
You know what? You guys are right. If I really believe it doesn't matter what the game is to enjoy it, let's put the debate to rest.

Shall we all agree that remaster or remake, the game it's gonna be amazing? Some will call it remaster, some will call it remake. But we all will be refering to the same great game that improves a lot of aspects of the original game.

I'm not gonna try to argue with anyone who says the game it's a remake anymore. Promised. But I hope the same goes for the other side too. Because we all know there are reasons and arguments to call it in one way or another.

While I agree it's going to be a great game, I don't think that's relevant to whether it is a remake or a remaster.

I'm not against building up hype for a game, especially one from my favourite dev team of all time. But don't be pretentious by trying to call it something that it's not.

I thought this whole thing started with annoying "It's a remake!" people yelling at me for calling it a remaster earlier in this thread. But apparently they had been yelling at other people about it too, all over the internet, like a raving bunch of lunatics.

Anyway, in the end, reviews confirm it is a remaster, not a remake.

And directly from the horse's mouth, Tetsuya Takahashi describes the remastering process: 

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/05/monolith_softs_takahashi_tetsuya_talks_xenoblade_chronicles_definitive_edition_in_this_translated_famitsu_interview

Jumpin said:
Vodacixi said:
You know what? You guys are right. If I really believe it doesn't matter what the game is to enjoy it, let's put the debate to rest.

Shall we all agree that remaster or remake, the game it's gonna be amazing? Some will call it remaster, some will call it remake. But we all will be refering to the same great game that improves a lot of aspects of the original game.

I'm not gonna try to argue with anyone who says the game it's a remake anymore. Promised. But I hope the same goes for the other side too. Because we all know there are reasons and arguments to call it in one way or another.

While I agree it's going to be a great game, I don't think that's relevant to whether it is a remake or a remaster.

I'm not against building up hype for a game, especially one from my favourite dev team of all time. But don't be pretentious by trying to call it something that it's not.

I thought this whole thing started with annoying "It's a remake!" people yelling at me for calling it a remaster earlier in this thread. But apparently they had been yelling at other people about it too, all over the internet, like a raving bunch of lunatics.

And directly from the horse's mouth, Tetsuya Takahashi describes the remastering process: 

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/05/monolith_softs_takahashi_tetsuya_talks_xenoblade_chronicles_definitive_edition_in_this_translated_famitsu_interview

"Anyways, I'm going to make a general rule that as for this thread, either remake or remaster is an acceptable label for the game, and any further debate over it will constitute derailing and lead to a thread ban. It doesn't seem to be going anywhere, and is just ruining the thread for the majority of people who couldn't care less and want to actually discuss the game. If you feel that passionately about it, feel free to make another topic devoted to arguing that point."

JWeinCom said:
Jumpin said:

"Anyways, I'm going to make a general rule that as for this thread, either remake or remaster is an acceptable label for the game, and any further debate over it will constitute derailing and lead to a thread ban. It doesn't seem to be going anywhere, and is just ruining the thread for the majority of people who couldn't care less and want to actually discuss the game. If you feel that passionately about it, feel free to make another topic devoted to arguing that point."

My apologies, I didn't read that.

Jumpin said:
JWeinCom said:

My apologies, I didn't read that.

No problem.  

My copy won't arrive until Monday. I wanna cry xD