By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Amazon U.S. November bestsellers and general Amazon-based discussion

hudsoniscool said:
Barkley said:

Not a good point at all. There's a difference between fluff like "5 Bajillion hours on xbox live!" which is used to hide sales.

And then the PR sony put out "We had the biggest Black Friday in PlayStation history. We sold more consoles than we ever have in our 22-year history, "

That is not PR to hide bad sales.

It's actually textbook  pr spin. They said the same thing the year before but ended up having the worst November  npd in years, down about 40% from 2015. If Microsoft would have came out and released a pr and said ' xb1x launch week was the best selling week for Xbox since xb1 launch' this would be pr spin no matter how true it is (is 100% true in the U.K.). Sonys statement makes it sound like it destroyed all the competition, without actually saying they did. 

For the record cord I have no problem with them saying it, good for them. And I still expect them to win npd but I believe it will be close.

Source for them saying this last year?

Directly saying they sold the most consoles on black friday they've ever sold is not PR spin, it's a direct statement on sales. Now you think they are talking about global sales because they lost the NPD? Neither Sony/MS/Nintendo know who won the NPD, otherwise the winner would have already put out PR saying they'd won. So no this isn't PR Spin.

But at the end of the day global sales are far more important then "winning the NPD" anyway, so they're hiding behind something that's more important anyway? Strange.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
peachbuggy said:

Well Amazon was just about the only reliable source we had leading up to Black Friday. Unless you count your factless "predictions", based only what you HOPED would happen. Tell me, have you gone through this whole thread without mentioning when PS4 was on top of Amazon charts or doing well on it throughout this whole thread? 

Obvbiously, in your eyes Amazon would become credible again as soon as PS4 is doing well on it!

In the monthly's  XB1s #5 and PS4 1tb #9, so online at amazon (5% of the US market?) the xb1 is ahead.

However we heard that online only recieved so many units, and most where given to B&M shops.

In this case I dont think Amazon is as representative as it usally is.

It was probably a better yardstick earlier on in the month before all the consoles started selling out there.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

Just to clarify, i was talking about this month and yes the early sales are still important, as it's still 1 of the biggest selling periods of the year, so higher positions are that much higher to reach because the sales metric will be that much higher.

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

This is all a superficial 'war' to entertain and generate traffic on forums. The Nov NPD winner could sell 100K more than the competition, yet worldwide Sony will be selling 2m, 3m, 4m more than its nearest competitor this month alone. It's a bizarre fallout from the online games media being dominated by US outlets. Back in the days of magazines we had no idea what NPD was. It's a similar situation now we get UK figures each Monday. It dominates headlines and forum chatter, yet Germany, France and any other number of markets are as big (or close to it) as the UK. Once you start grouping smaller European markets, the Middle East and what not, UK (and US) figures can be put into perspective.

celador said:
it's Cyber Monday and controllers are dominating top 20

sad stuff

$32. I bought 2. 

Around the Network
hudsoniscool said:
Barkley said:

Not a good point at all. There's a difference between fluff like "5 Bajillion hours on xbox live!" which is used to hide sales.

And then the PR sony put out "We had the biggest Black Friday in PlayStation history. We sold more consoles than we ever have in our 22-year history, "

That is not PR to hide bad sales.

It's actually textbook  pr spin. They said the same thing the year before but ended up having the worst November  npd in years, down about 40% from 2015. If Microsoft would have came out and released a pr and said ' xb1x launch week was the best selling week for Xbox since xb1 launch' this would be pr spin no matter how true it is (is 100% true in the U.K.). Sonys statement makes it sound like it destroyed all the competition, without actually saying they did. 

For the record cord I have no problem with them saying it, good for them. And I still expect them to win npd but I believe it will be close.

Where did Sony in that statement say they had the biggest Black Friday in the US!?!? cuz as far i know NPD is for the US, but the sentence doenst say anything about the US and maybe you have been living under the rock, but Black Friday isnt US-Exclusive. I dont know what they exactly said last year, but just because last years November NPD was worse than before that year, doesnt mean they still didnt had their best Black Friday ever, if Europe/Rest of The World made up for it and it seems like this is the case this time as well.

And for the second part, thats what YOU get out of the statement, they are just saying they had their biggest Black Friday in Playstation History. And yeah you say "without actually saying they did" because they never said that, thats just what YOU get out of it.

And personally i think Xbox will win, but that doesnt mean that Sony cant have their best Black Friday ever because the World = not America only.

Storeman67 said:
This is all a superficial 'war' to entertain and generate traffic on forums. The Nov NPD winner could sell 100K more than the competition, yet worldwide Sony will be selling 2m, 3m, 4m more than its nearest competitor this month alone. It's a bizarre fallout from the online games media being dominated by US outlets. Back in the days of magazines we had no idea what NPD was. It's a similar situation now we get UK figures each Monday. It dominates headlines and forum chatter, yet Germany, France and any other number of markets are as big (or close to it) as the UK. Once you start grouping smaller European markets, the Middle East and what not, UK (and US) figures can be put into perspective.

Not likely to be 4, 3 or even 2m ahead. If it was, it would be smashing all sorts of sales records.

"We've had our biggest black Friday in Playstation history. However we have 0 hours played time on Xbox live and the rest of the world doesn't't count. We sold out on Amazon 4 days earlier, so sold zero in the only place that matters. We apologise having our lowest black Friday ever, we have actually sold maybe 4 or 5 consoles. Boo hoo I'm off to quit my job."

I found the real pr guys, or at least translated the pr some people read.

peachbuggy said:
Just to clarify, i was talking about this month and yes the early sales are still important, as it's still 1 of the biggest selling periods of the year, so higher positions are that much higher to reach because the sales metric will be that much higher.

60% of console sales come black friday week in november.

quickrick said:
peachbuggy said:

60% of console sales come black friday week in november.

If that is so does that somehow make the other 40% somehow unimportant then?