By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Which job is better?

Which do you prefer?

Low-paying job you love 50 70.42%

High-paying job you hate 21 29.58%

Total:71
KLAMarine said:

The job you love but doesn't pay well or the job that pays well but you hate?

That's entirely dependant on how big the difference in pay/difference in job is. 

If it gives me 10 million a month, I'll do that for a year, sure.

If it's 10% more pay, then no, of course.

YOu're going to have to be more precise in your answer, there.

Bet with PeH: 

I win if Arms sells over 700 000 units worldwide by the end of 2017.

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

I win if Emmanuel Macron wins the french presidential election May 7th 2017.

Around the Network
palou said:
KLAMarine said:

The job you love but doesn't pay well or the job that pays well but you hate?

That's entirely dependant on how big the difference in pay/difference in job is. 

How's this: the job you love pays half what the job you hate pays.

I would take a 20% hit to my paycheck right now if I could have even more fun. Not that that's really possible with my current job.

I know I could easily get a higher paying Job but my Job right now is cool and the pay is above average.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

The job that pays well but you hate.

I can always get another job I like later once I've saved some money from this high paying shitty job.

KLAMarine said:
palou said:

Hmmm... That would also mean, I could work half the time, for the same income.

Thinking about it, if I would be living alone, with little social life, I'd take the better job.

Say, I have family to take care of, friends to maintain, I take the better pay, and give myself a bit more free time, in the year, as well.

Bet with PeH: 

I win if Arms sells over 700 000 units worldwide by the end of 2017.

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

I win if Emmanuel Macron wins the french presidential election May 7th 2017.

Around the Network

High paid job that I hate, you can make up for it during the rest of the day or the weekend with the sweet extra money, also you can use the high paying job to find an other high paying job you like

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

If the high-paying job is full time, no, that wouldn't be my option, but if it gave me enough time to do other things of my preference, I probably wouldn't hate it at all.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

low paying job you love, obviously. Have talked to so many people who look back on their lives with a relatively high amount of disgust for having sat in an office they hated for 30 years. 

In the end the question is if you can support yourself and live somewhat comfortably. If you can live day to day really digging what you do and getting by well, maybe not saving up for gigantic hawaiian vacations, but just liking life in general- I'd say go with that.

Too many people work their whole life to get that big job that stresses their brain into mush, just so they can have a big house and a Mercedes and so they can pop out a lot of kids and pay for their colleges. Don't get me wrong- nothing wrong with that- but at some point I've noticed many people end up just sort of doing a large checklist because they feel it's expected of them.

obvs that applies more to someone who's an individual adult just doing what's best for themselves though. If someone has a kid, is newly married, or has to help other family members... that shakes up the decision making process. It's just quite obvious though that there are a lot of wealthy people out there who are very unhappy, and in the end simply making more money isn't necessarily a recipe to enjoying life. 

Maybe even the most logical scenario is to find some level of balance, not an extreme- a scenario where you're making a middle-class wage and SORT of like your job at times.

Most jobs probably aren't black and white though in terms being all good or all bad

KLAMarine said:
palou said:

To me, it still depends...

If it's $30,000/year vs. $60,000/year I might pick the job I hate so not constantly stressing about money, have a decent standard of living, etc..

If it's $150,000/year vs $300,000/year I would pick the job I love.  The high paying job probably comes with a lot more stress of constant emergencies and less free time outside the office, etc... and the job I love has a better life/work balance than the one I hate...

Well, you've said that the job you hate pays you twice the amount. I'd just grit my teeth. If it was a smaller discrepancy, I'd be playing Switch as the night shift security guard too.