By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Inazuma Eleven Ares for PS4, Switch, iOS, and Android launches summer 2018 in Japan

twintail said:
Shaunodon said:
I like that Level-5 is starting to share their games around more.

Wouldn't be surprising then if Ni no Kuni II and possibly the first game also make their way to Switch.
Ni no Kuni would be a perfect fit for a Nintendo system.

They can just remake NNk2 (NNk1 is pretty pointless since NNk2 is essentially just 1 with added stuff) in full 3D as the series was originally intended to be.

Throw it on PC/ PS4/ X1 and they got themselves covered since the IP is dying off already. 

When I mentioned the first game I was referring to Wrath of the White Witch, not the original DS version (my bad, should have been more clear). Ni No Kuni II is the new title out next year, and I think both would be perfect for Switch.

I guess you could also port to X1, though I don't think there's much of a market there for it.

Around the Network

Basically all Japanese releases like this should be PS4/switch multiplats. It's really starting to look like that's the path a lot of companies will take moving forward outside of a few hold outs like Capcom

Holy shit ps4 is getting this? It seems to be getting everything now.

Hopefully the Pro supports it in 4k!

Next up yokai watch!

twintail said:
fatslob-:O said:
Coming to the PS4 was not a surprise when their last established franchise, Layton came onto to smartphones so going forward I would expect the vast majority of Level-5's titles to be released for PS4, Switch, iOS/Android and maybe even X1/PC too!

Hopefully, this means that future installments of Yokai Watch come to the PS4 since there's no reason to design games around dual displays anymore ...

I mean sure, but Layton came to mobile back in 2012... twice. YW had since followed. Not much of a connection if you ask me, epsecially since the IP is pretty synonmous with Nintendo. 

Regardless the big news here is that after 10 years, Lvl 5 is likely cutting their publisng deal with Nintendo. As you said it makes sense to go on many platforms going forward, so this probably extends to their other IPs too (which Nintendo also published outside of JPN)

Or! it could be that these franchises have peaked long ago and are dying, which is why some will appear on other platforms. I don't get the excitement, they will most likely sell even worse on PS. Mobile, probably a little better, but not by much.

twintail said:

I mean sure, but Layton came to mobile back in 2012... twice. YW had since followed. Not much of a connection if you ask me, epsecially since the IP is pretty synonmous with Nintendo. 

Regardless the big news here is that after 10 years, Lvl 5 is likely cutting their publisng deal with Nintendo. As you said it makes sense to go on many platforms going forward, so this probably extends to their other IPs too (which Nintendo also published outside of JPN)

Before the last entry, Layton only had one instance of appearing on mobile aside from the spin-off and that was way back on the first game ... 

A main entry of Inazuma Eleven appearing on non-Nintendo platforms is a historic feat since that was Level-5's last franchise to go multiplatform and it coming to the PS4 is just a bonus since they are finally starting to pay attention to the only serious current home console left in Japan ... 

Yokai Watch maybe synonmous with Nintendo but they can't ignore a strong and established western market with PS4 and not especially with Layton since that series used to be big in Europe ... 

I think we're pretty much in agreement here when there's no reason for 3rd party japanese developers to stay exclusively on Nintendo systems anymore from a game design, technical or even an IP ownership perspective ... 

Around the Network
twintail said:

Actually, there was a phone entry in 2008 and 2011, and a smartphone entry in 2012 - and these were all with Professor Layton himself. Then Layton brothers in 2012 too so 4 entries.

Dont get me wrong, adding other platforms is definitely the way to go to broaden the IPs, but with something so Nintendo focussed I wouldnt say a PS4 announcement was an automatic lock in. But if you arent surprised that is cool. That confidence will hopefully make it easier for the likes of Layton and YW to move over too.

You're right going by the fan wiki that 4 games did come to mobile but practically all of them were spin-offs including Layton brothers aside from Curious Village. Mystery Journey returning in full form since the first game at the same date as the Nintendo platforms is a first in a while ... 

Inazuma used to be a Nintendo centric franchise but that came to an abrupt end when it had no history on Sony platforms. Layton will have to eventually appear on PS4 too since the game's strongest market is in Europe. If both Inazuma and Layton tumble there's no reason to believe Yokai Watch won't either barring some backdoor deals like capcom did with Nintendo for Monster Hunter ... (if their new IP, Megaton Musashi comes to PS4 then it should be taken as sign that none of their IPs will be sparred as an exclusive) 

I also expect SMT to make a return to PS ...

twintail said:

Actually, there was a phone entry in 2008 and 2011, and a smartphone entry in 2012 - and these were all with Professor Layton himself. Then Layton brothers in 2012 too so 4 entries.

Dont get me wrong, adding other platforms is definitely the way to go to broaden the IPs, but with something so Nintendo focussed I wouldnt say a PS4 announcement was an automatic lock in. But if you arent surprised that is cool. That confidence will hopefully make it easier for the likes of Layton and YW to move over too.

You're right going by the fan wiki that 4 games did come to mobile but practically all of them were spin-offs including Layton brothers aside from Curious Village. Mystery Journey returning in full form since the first game at the same date as the Nintendo platforms is a first in a while ... 

Inazuma used to be a Nintendo centric franchise but that came to an abrupt end when it had no history on Sony platforms. Layton will have to eventually appear on PS4 too since the game's strongest market is in Europe. If both Inazuma and Layton tumble there's no reason to believe Yokai Watch won't either barring some backdoor deals like capcom did with Nintendo for Monster Hunter ... (if their new IP, Megaton Musashi comes to PS4 then it should be taken as sign that none of their IPs will be sparred as an exclusive) 

Even though I agree with you(and i kind of predicted this in January) it's kind of depressing ...

I do believe in the idea of generally letting any game be on any platform for consumer friendly practices, but this essentially means most of the Japanese exclusivity is now on Playstation and all of Nintendo's old exclusivity is also on Playstation. 

Coming to the PS4 was not a surprise when their last established franchise, Layton came onto to smartphones so going forward I would expect the vast majority of Level-5's titles to be released for PS4, Switch, iOS/Android and maybe even X1/PC too!

Hopefully, this means that future installments of Yokai Watch come to the PS4 since there's no reason to design games around dual displays anymore ...

Sure it can come to both switch and PS4. Since ps vita is basically dead and the last good year of 3ds will be 2018 though a decent year can be 2019 as well so uptown that point. Switch will be king though with PS4 and 3ds duking at second.

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Even though I agree with you(and i kind of predicted this in January) it's kind of depressing ...

I do believe in the idea of generally letting any game be on any platform for consumer friendly practices, but this essentially means most of the Japanese exclusivity is now on Playstation and all of Nintendo's old exclusivity is also on Playstation. 

Goes both ways though, especially with the Switch being significantly more popular in Japan.

Monster Hunter World will be an interesting one, seeing as they're trying to make a big console experience which will appeal to gamers worldwide, kind of like FFXV was attempting.

Simply being the best-selling console MH in Japan (which is a low bar anyway) won't be enough for them, unless Sony are actually paying them a lot just to keep the series away from Nintendo.

I'd expect to see many Japanese games from both sides start to focus on multi-plat, especially games from Vita which aren't really finding a great market on PS4.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:

It's for the 3rd party japanese developers own health though ... 

As their own domestic industry is in a decline they have to look for other avenues such as localization for other territories and porting to different platforms to maintain their business but it's not just Playstation that is benefitting from this as PC is also on a historic surge for AAA japanese games since Ni No Kuni II will get a PC release which unprecendented for a reclusive developer like Level-5 ... 

In the near future I expect multiplatform releases between PS4/Switch/PC to be the common trend ...