By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Famitsu Review Scores 10/17/17 - (Super Mario Odyssey)

Veknoid_Outcast said:
guiduc said:

It is not trustworthy to me neither. I can't rely on an outlet that awards too many high scores. But is being too silky lacking integrity? That I couldn't be sure of.

So I have no faith in their standards of excellence, because they do not match the harshness I expect from a gaming outlet. But there is quite a gap between what sets those standards and journalistic integrity. Journalistic integrity =/= Strigency and rigidity. That's when culture comes in play: veracity comes in all shapes and sizes when it involves cultural perceptions. New Super Mario Bros Wii could be the epitome of what Japanese gaming culture considers a masterpiece, whereas here it's a different story.

Ah, I see what you're saying now. When I was referring to integrity, I meant Famitsu's suspicious relationship with publishers and advertisers, not its scoring guidelines.

And to be fair to Famitsu, there's no hard data to point to, no smoking gun. Just a lot of hearsay and circumstantial evidence. It certainly seems, from an outsider's point of view, that Famitsu has cozy connections with game publishers, which could lead to some conflicts of interest. But I can't say that for a fact.

Love the new avatar, by the way :)

Why, thank you! Yours is Irene from ALBW? Big fan of the game?

Around the Network
guiduc said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

Ah, I see what you're saying now. When I was referring to integrity, I meant Famitsu's suspicious relationship with publishers and advertisers, not its scoring guidelines.

And to be fair to Famitsu, there's no hard data to point to, no smoking gun. Just a lot of hearsay and circumstantial evidence. It certainly seems, from an outsider's point of view, that Famitsu has cozy connections with game publishers, which could lead to some conflicts of interest. But I can't say that for a fact.

Love the new avatar, by the way :)

Why, thank you! Yours is Irene from ALBW? Big fan of the game?

In honor of Halloween

Veknoid_Outcast said:
Conina said:

Pro Golfer Saru (Wii, Bandai Namco): 3 / 3 / 3 / 3 – (12/40)

http://nintendoeverything.com/famitsu-review-scores-22/

Also they don't review any crap game, there is usually a preselection. Why waste time and money with reviewing bad games?

So that consumers don't waste time and money paying for bad games.

If they don't review the game then you know it is bad.
Or at least, that is probably what they want their readers to think.

Also they seem to throw 4 bodies at a task that we would throw one at.
That has to be costly.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
Has Famitsu ever awarded a game a score lower than 4?

I'm sure Mario Odyssey is great, but I have zero faith in Famitsu's journalistic integrity or its standards of excellence.

It's rare, but it does happen. Here are some of their lowest scoring games. Their reviews are generally a couple of sentences from each critic.

https://abload.de/img/crossreviewhtxp4.jpg

Death Crimson (SAT, Ecole) - 3/3/4/3
Simple 2000 Series Vol. 83: The Konchuu Saishuu (PS2, D3) - 4/4/3/3
Kousoku Kidoutai: World Super Police (PS2, Jaleco) - 3/4/3/5
Shura no Mon (PS1, Kodansha) - 3/3/4/2
Oookuki (PS2, Global A) - 3/3/4/3
Beijing Olympic 2008 (PS3, Sega) - 3/4/4/3
Appleseed EX (PS2, Sega) - 3/4/4/3
Pro Golfer Saru (Wii, Bandai Namco) - 3/3/3/3

Veknoid_Outcast said:
guiduc said:

I don't know about integrity, but it's a different culture. Standards of excellence may vary between our Western culture and their, hence why games we would have never awarded a perfect score are praised by Famitsu, and vice versa.

It is all a matter of what pleases Japanese, in the end.

I think it's a bit of a cop out to lay this on cultural differences. Over the years, Famitsu has been unusually invested in the games it reviews, and it slaps high scores on almost everything. To me, it's simply an untrustworthy publication, national origins notwithstanding.

Cultural differences is a key factor because Famitsu reviews games for what they are and trying to do, when they rate a game they're not rating them in a universal sense. For example Nintendogs would be rated as how good it is as a pet simulator the score it gets is it being rated compared to another game like Uncharted.

Around the Network
vgc said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
Has Famitsu ever awarded a game a score lower than 4?

I'm sure Mario Odyssey is great, but I have zero faith in Famitsu's journalistic integrity or its standards of excellence.

It's rare, but it does happen. Here are some of their lowest scoring games. Their reviews are generally a couple of sentences from each critic.

https://abload.de/img/crossreviewhtxp4.jpg

Death Crimson (SAT, Ecole) - 3/3/4/3
Simple 2000 Series Vol. 83: The Konchuu Saishuu (PS2, D3) - 4/4/3/3
Kousoku Kidoutai: World Super Police (PS2, Jaleco) - 3/4/3/5
Shura no Mon (PS1, Kodansha) - 3/3/4/2
Oookuki (PS2, Global A) - 3/3/4/3
Beijing Olympic 2008 (PS3, Sega) - 3/4/4/3
Appleseed EX (PS2, Sega) - 3/4/4/3
Pro Golfer Saru (Wii, Bandai Namco) - 3/3/3/3

Thanks, that's helpful!

Nautilus said:
irstupid said:

No it's just different time zones. They are a head of us, so the embargo has already lifted for them.

So what you mean is that the world is the one that is actually conspiring against us?

Exactly. It's Nintendo vs the world.

Wyrdness said:
irstupid said:

No it's just different time zones. They are a head of us, so the embargo has already lifted for them.

He's poking fun at the Edge thread where a few people where saying some deal was in place to get a review copy early for a perfect scores here Famitsu have an early copy as well but didn't give a perfect score, the embargo is still in place but doesn't apply to magazines (they never do) and such which just release on their scheduled time.

Yea I know. I was also joking. No matter the time-zone the embargo being lifted is still like a week away is it not. Even if I'm shaky on time zones, I'm fairly ceratin nobody is more than 24 hours ahead of anyone else. So just like the Edge review, this Famitsu one is also "breaking street date, a paid review, ethical disaster, ect" or whatever that one guy in the Edge review thread wants to say. Also that idiot at Forbes.

StarDoor said:
Huh. Famitsu has actually never given a perfect score to a 3D Mario game.

They gave a perfect score to New Super Mario Bros of all games.

Really? Look at what they gave all of the other Mario games: Super Mario 64: 39/40 Super Mario Sunshine: 38/40 Super Mario Galaxy: 38/40 Super Mario Galaxy 2: 37/40 Super Mario 3D Land: 38/40 Super Mario 3D World: 38/40 Super Mario Odyssey: 39/40

But they gave New Super Mario Bros. Wii of all things a 40/40? I'm not complaining about how Odyssey got a 39, but my problem with their score system is that it is so inconsistent.

So how would Metacritic extrapolate a 39/40? Would they treat it as 3 100's and a 90 or use formulaic equations to come up with 1 score?