By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Former Naughty Dog Employee Says He Was Sexually Harassed

Can you imagine if it was Amy Hennig and that's why she left? Haha... that would be a twist.

I hope not though. She is classy.

Around the Network

So he claims is that there was not only a person who harassed him, but also the HR department involved in getting him fired. There may be even a third party involved who offered him money to stay quiet. For me that sounds like conspiracy territory.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

SegataSanshiro said:
merman said:

outside of this, what else has happened?

Working conditions Henning described. Insane work hours, with little to not break between projects. Some people not even going home for the week. Many of them very stressed out. Poor working conditions overall. Why she now works at EA. They let her have a smaller staff and have more time to work on a project with less hours a week.

She didn't quit; she was fired. Not sure what you're talking about. 

SpokenTruth said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:

Poor guy. He should come out as transgender then people might believe him.

A (white?) mans word means little these days. Dark times .

If this was an attempt at humor, it failed spectacularly.
If this was a display of your mentality, it failed spectacularly.

Aeolus451 said:

There's alot of cases where it's false and the person made the accusation for money or to get attention of some sort. I'm always skeptical of this stuff by default. What's weird in this situation is that he was "fired immediately after making the accusation" and was given just 20k as hush money by sony. 

The ratio of false claim to real/unreported claims is staggering in favor of the latter.  Skepticism should never be your default.  It's why so many go unreported.  Why bother when people aren't going to believe you anyway?

A rate between 2% and 10%, depending on the study, of demonstrably false claims should not be your default position.  Since 1989, only 52 people have been exonerated from prison due to a false accusation.

"A rate between 2% and 10%, depending on the study, of demonstrably false claims should not be your default position"

so between 98% and 90% of victims don't report their assaults? so how do we know about these cases if they are unreported? 

edit - i misread your post, but regardless there needs to be some objective standard for determining whether a crime has occured and the only possible standard we have to go by is evidence

"Skepticism should never be your default"

skepticism and the need to validate claims is at the core of the justice system and the reason its like that is not only to protect people but to ensure that there is some degree of objectivity

if there is no objectivity then what stops you from one day falling prey to someone making false claims against you?

i don't think many of you understand the consequences of the causes you advocate for

SpokenTruth said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:

Poor guy. He should come out as transgender then people might believe him.

A (white?) mans word means little these days. Dark times .

If this was an attempt at humor, it failed spectacularly.
If this was a display of your mentality, it failed spectacularly.

Aeolus451 said:

There's alot of cases where it's false and the person made the accusation for money or to get attention of some sort. I'm always skeptical of this stuff by default. What's weird in this situation is that he was "fired immediately after making the accusation" and was given just 20k as hush money by sony. 

The ratio of false claim to real/unreported claims is staggering in favor of the latter.  Skepticism should never be your default.  It's why so many go unreported.  Why bother when people aren't going to believe you anyway?

A rate between 2% and 10%, depending on the study, of demonstrably false claims should not be your default position.  Since 1989, only 52 people have been exonerated from prison due to a false accusation.

So a rate between 2% and 10% are demonstrably false. What's the conviction rate? According to RAINN, it's about 1%. For the other 80-95% of cases that aren't demonstrably false or in a sense, "demonstrably true" as that is what a conviction should show, we actually do not know if the alleged sexual assault actually happened. But here you are assuming that in every case an alleged sexual assault is that isn't demonstrably false is true.

And how is this for a way to spin the numbers? Of the cases where we have extreme amounts of confidence over whether the sexual assault did occur, according to your own numbers, it's twice to ten times more likely the accusation is false.

Just food for thought.

Around the Network

People confunde being hit on by a superior with being sexually harassed. Is a crime a CEO marrying someone from his company?

SpokenTruth said:
o_O.Q said:

"A rate between 2% and 10%, depending on the study, of demonstrably false claims should not be your default position"

so between 98% and 90% of victims don't report their assaults? so how do we know about these cases if they are unreported?

I'm not sure how you interpreted that but no, it means that 90% - 98% are either unfounded or verified true.  Only 2% - 10% are verfiied as false claims.

According to the National Research council, 80% of all sexual assaults are unreported to authorities.

yes i misread what you posted and i edited my post to reflect that

"According to the National Research council, 80% of all sexual assaults are unreported to authorities."

if they are unreported how is this organisation able to form this statistic?

SpokenTruth said:
o_O.Q said:

I'm not sure how you interpreted that but no, it means that 90% - 98% are either unfounded or verified true.  Only 2% - 10% are verfiied as false claims.

According to the National Research council, 80% of all sexual assaults are unreported to authorities.

And that's the problem with the interpretation of these statistics. 90-90% of sexual assault claims are either unfounded or verified true.

According to the National Research council, 80% of all sexual assault claims are unreported to authorities.

think-man said:

Think about it for a moment.

The man's gay? He's gay? There's a female working at a video game company? All the options seem pointless to the actual discussion if I'm catching your drift.

solidpumar said:

People confunde being hit on by a superior with being sexually harassed. Is a crime a CEO marrying someone from his company?

https://www.eeoc.gov/laws/types/sexual_harassment.cfm

A superior hiting on their subordinates is a little messed up in my opinion. But, it's not really sexual harassment until the superior is made aware that it is unwanted and continues to do so, or punishes the employee for rebuffing their advances.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.