By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Legality of modding about to be tested in court

Modding should

always be legal 19 43.18%

depend on copyright holders permission 13 29.55%

offline use only 10 22.73%

never be allowed (why?) 2 4.55%

Total:44

I really think we need to distinguish between "modding" and "cheating online".

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network
Azuren said:
I really think we need to distinguish between "modding" and "cheating online".

Technically, they're not that different, which is the problem, and I doubt there is any legislation regarding cheating (online or not).

Forgive me, but online cheating in video games is not nearly a dire enough problem to necessitate this sort of thing. If there's a place that "slippery slope" is not at all a fallacy, it's in legislative and judicial matters.

JRPGfan said:

The idea that this can even go so far, to reach a court is just silly.
Its something that should be self evident that its legal.

If they change this... what next?

Your not allowed to buy a physical copy of a book, and write it in? even if you own it? No more school books, with highlights used in them, you might get sued.

A game you own, changeing apparences in game for you, is akin to writeing something in a book you bought imo.

If modding becomes ilegal, then books should be next.

It comes more down to, are you allowed to alter a book and publish the alterations. Nobody cares what you do for personal use, (and schools have exemptions by fair use) distributing and going online with it is the problem. Ofcourse just as emulators, mods by themselves shouldn't be illegal. What you do with it (online cheating) is the problem. Dunno if the law can make that distinction. There is no law against cheating. Online game fraud?

The law is still far behind when it comes to software. Another current problem is whether lootboxes should be considered gambling and be regulated by gambling laws. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-10-11-are-loot-boxes-gambling

SvennoJ said:
JRPGfan said:

The idea that this can even go so far, to reach a court is just silly.
Its something that should be self evident that its legal.

If they change this... what next?

Your not allowed to buy a physical copy of a book, and write it in? even if you own it? No more school books, with highlights used in them, you might get sued.

A game you own, changeing apparences in game for you, is akin to writeing something in a book you bought imo.

If modding becomes ilegal, then books should be next.

It comes more down to, are you allowed to alter a book and publish the alterations. Nobody cares what you do for personal use, (and schools have exemptions by fair use) distributing and going online with it is the problem. Ofcourse just as emulators, mods by themselves shouldn't be illegal. What you do with it (online cheating) is the problem. Dunno if the law can make that distinction. There is no law against cheating. Online game fraud?

The law is still far behind when it comes to software. Another current problem is whether lootboxes should be considered gambling and be regulated by gambling laws. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-10-11-are-loot-boxes-gambling

So this is about people makeing mods, and selling them for profit?

Not about if its legal to make mods in the first place?

Its weird the OP link redirects to a page about people useing Aim bots (cheats) in games, and not actually modding of games.

Anyways yeah I think its fine to stop people cheating in games.

However I dont think makeing mods to games should be illegal.

"However, neither defendant is being sued for the actual act of cheating; rather, Epic is suing both parties for alleged copyright infringement, arguing that the defendants' cheating is "infringing Epic's copyrights by injecting unauthorized computer code into the copyright protected code"."

^ hope this fails in court.

However I hope they still get banned, and ban anyone that is useing cheats.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:

So this is about people makeing mods, and selling them for profit?

Not about if its legal to make mods in the first place?

Its weird the OP link redirects to a page about people useing Aim bots (cheats) in games, and not actually modding of games.

Anyways yeah I think its fine to stop people cheating in games.

However I dont think makeing mods to games should be illegal.

"However, neither defendant is being sued for the actual act of cheating; rather, Epic is suing both parties for alleged copyright infringement, arguing that the defendants' cheating is "infringing Epic's copyrights by injecting unauthorized computer code into the copyright protected code"."

^ hope this fails in court.

However I hope they still get banned, and ban anyone that is useing cheats.

Not even that, it's about people using mods online to cheat.
However since there's no regulation for that, Epic is using copyright law to try to take down mods :/

As I said before, banning people in free to play games has no effect. I guess you could try to ip ban them. Banning aim bot mods is another way, but I guess for that you first have to make all mods illegal and then allow the ones the publisher approves off. Which is ofcourse not in the interest of gamers.

Plus I guess it's cheaper for devs to make mods illegal than to write and continually update code to detect and counteract them, which can always be hacked again. However making mods illegal likely won't stop cheaters either, it will only hurt projects like Open IV.

I wonder what the reasoning behind this is at Epic. Do they want to sue all cheaters once they win this case or hope this is a good deterrent? I don't see anything positive that can come from this.

This is bull. Instead of going after them cheating. Which is the actual problem. They want to go after mods in general. A blank statement that isn't justified under every form of modding.