By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Weekly, 26th August 2017, Hardware and Software

LimaBean01 said:
Lawlight said:

The Australian dollar is weak these days. You can't just do a conversion and say it's expensive. Do you remember what the PS2 launched at? AU$749. The Switch is €100 less than the PS4 at launch. And there is no supply issue in Europe and Australia. And for the record, the Switch has already gone on sale twice at ebgames this year.

Wow I had no idea ps2 was 750 here. If price and stock are a complete non issue in Europe/Australia, those sales are even more concerning. To be fair I have noticed that the majority of people I know locally haven't even heard of the switch let alone have it. Do you see sales in Europe for Switch doing better in the future? I feel like currently, PS4 is such a hit there/here that the switch is being forgotten. US and Japan a completely different story of course. 

Over here—New Zealand—PS4 is the best-selling console in history.

At this point I think our region is just Sony's by right. We're not exactly a massive market, but everyone here is just so familiar with the Playstation brand. I imagine it's similar in Aussie land.

Trying to even mention Nintendo just gets me laughed at or outright shunned, and I play on the other systems with people. They're all into their Density, cod etc. and even the ones who admit it's terrible don't quite like them still let others drag them into playing it all the time.

360 was a bit different last gen since Xbox is a bit closer to what people here are comfortable with, although PS3 still remained heavily popular, but I don't think Nintendo will ever be able to get a firm footing in our region. We don't have the same nostalgia bonus for Nintendo that NA does sadly.

Around the Network
Shaunodon said:

At this point I think our region is just Sony's by right. We're not exactly a massive market, but everyone here is just so familiar with the Playstation brand. I imagine it's similar in Aussie land.

Trying to even mention Nintendo just gets me laughed at or outright shunned, and I play on the other systems with people. They're all into their Density, cod etc. and even the ones who admit it's terrible don't quite like them still let others drag them into playing it all the time.

360 was a bit different last gen since Xbox is a bit closer to what people here are comfortable with, although PS3 still remained heavily popular, but I don't think Nintendo will ever be able to get a firm footing in our region. We don't have the same nostalgia bonus for Nintendo that NA does sadly.

Nintendo actually has a fairly strong foundation here in Aus; by late 2010 Wii had sold over 2 million here and DS over 3 million; we're a country of just 23 million people, so 1 in 10 Aussies bought a Wii (though since a lot of those went into households of 4-5 people, far more than 1 in 10 would've "had" one) and 1 in 8 a DS.

curl-6 said:
Shaunodon said:

Actually Nintendo has a fairly strong foundation here in Aus; by late 2010 Wii had sold over 2 million here and DS over 3 million; we're a country of just 23 million people, so 1 in 10 Aussies had a Wii and 1 in 8 a DS.

You can't really count the Wii since that thing was just a worldwide phenomenon. It wasn't really so much a game console as it was the must-have entertainment product.

Of course everyone here also had a Wii, but they only had Wii Sports and if they were gamers maybe Smash, and after a few months it just sat in their closets.

I'm also only talking about consoles not handhelds, since only one company even supports their handhelds anyway.

Shaunodon said:
curl-6 said:

Actually Nintendo has a fairly strong foundation here in Aus; by late 2010 Wii had sold over 2 million here and DS over 3 million; we're a country of just 23 million people, so 1 in 10 Aussies had a Wii and 1 in 8 a DS.

You can't really count the Wii since that thing was just a worldwide phenomenon. It wasn't really so much a game console as it was the must-have entertainment product.

Of course everyone here also had a Wii, but they only had Wii Sports and if they were gamers maybe Smash, and after a few months it just sat in their closets.

Wii is still a Nintendo console, and big-name Nintendo franchises like Mario sold really well on it as well, so it seeded a lot of recognition and fondness for their IP. Stuff like Mario Kart and Smash are well known and liked here for instance.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Shaunodon said:

Wii is still a Nintendo console, and big-name Nintendo franchises like Mario sold really well on it as well, so it seeded a lot of recognition and fondness for their IP. Stuff like Mario Kart and Smash are well known and liked.

But that isn't exactly enough to push people to buy the new systems.

I'd talk to friends and say "WiiU has all these great games, and the new Smash is coming out Christmas", and I'd get "I like Smash but I don't really care for any those other kiddie Nintendo games". Or it'd be "Switch is going to have the new Zelda and it looks really great", and I'd get "yeah, but I'd play Zelda then what else would I do with it? I'm not really into Nintendo games".

Most Nintendo titles just don't really hold a lot of weight in our region.

So basicly Europeans bought mostly Wii Us instead of Switches. That seems pretty logical

Shaunodon said:
curl-6 said:

Wii is still a Nintendo console, and big-name Nintendo franchises like Mario sold really well on it as well, so it seeded a lot of recognition and fondness for their IP. Stuff like Mario Kart and Smash are well known and liked.

But that isn't exactly enough to push people to buy the new systems.

I'd talk to friends and say "WiiU has all these great games, and the new Smash is coming out Christmas", and I'd get "I like Smash but I don't really care for any those other kiddie Nintendo games". Or it'd be "Switch is going to have the new Zelda and it looks really great", and I'd get "yeah, but I'd play Zelda then what else would I do with it? I'm not really into Nintendo games".

Most Nintendo titles just don't really hold a lot of weight in our region.

I imagine Wii U reception was rather meh no matter which country you go to, but with Switch I'm having the opposite experience; many people I know including a lot of the kids I teach are buzzing about it.

curl-6 said:
Shaunodon said:

Nintendo actually has a fairly strong foundation here in Aus; by late 2010 Wii had sold over 2 million here and DS over 3 million; we're a country of just 23 million people, so 1 in 10 Aussies bought a Wii (though since a lot of those went into households of 4-5 people, far more than 1 in 10 would've "had" one) and 1 in 8 a DS.

Then nowadays, my local eb games stores (I'm in Perth) have multiple walls of ps and Xbox products that span the entire shop, whilst Nintendo quite literally has a section I'd say 2 metres in width. Could be just how they set up their shop, but obviously it at least somewhat reflects what the customers are buying the most.

Anecdotally, my friends all own PS4/Xbox one. Though unlike NZ, there seems to be a fairly even split between those two... I know this is entirely anecdotal and that real data may prove me entirely wrong but at least for this current generation, Nintendo seems rather week in Aus, a far cry from the Wii/ds days. 

if I've just been ignorant and there are actual sales of the switch/Wiiu/3ds vs PS4/xb1 in Australia I would love to see them, but I haven't been able to easily find any yet.

LimaBean01 said:
curl-6 said:

Then nowadays, my local eb games stores (I'm in Perth) have multiple walls of ps and Xbox products that span the entire shop, whilst Nintendo quite literally has a section I'd say 2 metres in width. Could be just how they set up their shop, but obviously it at least somewhat reflects what the customers are buying the most.

Anecdotally, my friends all own PS4/Xbox one. Though unlike NZ, there seems to be a fairly even split between those two... I know this is entirely anecdotal and that real data may prove me entirely wrong but at least for this current generation, Nintendo seems rather week in Aus, a far cry from the Wii/ds days. 

if I've just been ignorant and there are actual sales of the switch/Wiiu/3ds vs PS4/xb1 in Australia I would love to see them, but I haven't been able to easily find any yet.

The store design doesn't represents the customers habits, but who's paying more for shelf space. Sales will eventually impact the visual presence in store, but it will always come to who gives the biggest check.