By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can XB1 Catch Up With PS4 In The US?

Can XB1 Catch Up With PS4 In The US?

Yes 39 7.77%

No 400 79.68%

Maybe 33 6.57%

Show Me The Results 30 5.98%

Total:502
poroporo said:

It's rolstoppable impossible.

No. It's not impossible. It's kimpossible.

Around the Network

Nah. XB1 is too unappealing. PS4 has a more diverse lineup and is more affordable.

Hi

iLikeEggs said:
Nah. XB1 is too unappealing. PS4 has a more diverse lineup and is more affordable.

No, it's not.

XB1 has being regularly cheaper than PS4 since they removed kinect.

globalisateur said:
iLikeEggs said:

No, it's not.

XB1 has being regularly cheaper than PS4 since they removed kinect.

Oops. Yeah, i meant in terms of the XBX versus the PS4 Pro. I should have specified that point. Thanks for the correction.

Hi

Replicant said:

Considering last generation, I see what you're coming from but I don't think I'd refer to PlayStation as being "way less popular" than Xbox in the US. Last generation was the exception rather than the rule.

Just look at the top 10 best selling home consoles in the US:

PosPlatformNorth America
1 PlayStation 2 (PS2) 53.65
2 Xbox 360 (X360) 49.11
3 Wii (Wii) 45.38
4 PlayStation (PS) 38.94
5 Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) 33.49
6 PlayStation 3 (PS3) 29.42
7 Atari 2600 (2600) 23.54
8 Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) 22.88
9 PlayStation 4 (PS4) 21.68
10 Nintendo 64 (N64) 20.11

PS4 will certainly end up somewhere in top 5 making PlayStation take 3 of the top 5 best selling home consoles in the US. I'd maybe give the edge to Nintendo if we include handhelds but I wouldn't say PlayStation is "way less popular" than Nintendo let alone Xbox.

That's a pretty big omission considering how Nintendo has sold more handhelds in the US than Sony has sold home consoles and handhelds combined.

Not that I agree with the first guy; the idea that Xbox is ahead of PlayStation and anywhere close to Nintendo is ridiculous. Nintendo is moderately more popular than PlayStation, and PlayStation is moderately more popular than Xbox.

Around the Network

Well anything is possible, in this case it would just mean that the PS4 would have to stop selling period in NA or at the very least the XB1 would start outselling it every month but at least 2:1 if this catching is to happen by the time the PS5 is released..... or say in 2 years.
pro
On the other hand, I think people aren't taking into consideration whats been happening all year this year. Right now there is a Sub $300 XB1/PS4. So far the sub $300 PS4 has been wiping the floor with the XB1. Some seem to think that a $500 version of the XB1 is somehow going to buck the trend and become the NA primary console.

Those people are wrong. It may sell better than the PS4pro, but XBX and XB1 sales combined will not be better than the PS4 and PS4pro sales combined.

Lastly, if the PS4 wins any number of months by as little as 5k units..... that catching up thing is never gonna happen.

nope

CGI-Quality said:

This would work if Sony sat around and didn't do anything. Besides, price is not the issue for Xbox. If it were that simple, they'd be ahead already. Their game catalogue, coupled with a poor early message, is why they sit where they are.

Ia gree with you here. I am not saying it is likely. MS would have to do a lot of good calls, while Sony would have to make poor ones or simply be passive. We already saw PS4 outsell X1 on the US when it was 50 bucks more expensive during X1 deals. I also think that the situation is worse now. Two years ago they were losing NPD but not by a huge margin. The lack of exclusive content and the perception that it is an inferior product is doing a lot of damage and this year they are getting completely onslaughted in the US.

What I am saying is that it is possible to do it on the US. They lost most years by less than 15% there. However, it demands a lot of luck and adequate scenarios (like MS actually making good calls). It is different from the situation in EU or most of the world, where even if the aforementioned conditions they wouldn't catch up anyway. So the answer for the US is yes, they can do it. It's just extremely unlikely and, like you said, Sony would have to be completely idiotic for it to happen.

Yes with such killer app games such as..........erm....um.....hmm....

SegataSanshiro said:
Yes with such killer app games such as..........erm....um.....hmm....

Thats actually part of the problem.

Crackdown is looking kinda meh (gameplay and graphics).
State of decay looks too common to so many other zombie games (days gone looks much better).
Sea of Theves a online based + matched systemed, pirate game that looks okay.
Ori (2) and the Will of the Wisps, looks beautifull like the first game (probably not a sytem seller tho).

What else is there? new halo or forza?