By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gran Turismo Sport Matchmaking

DonFerrari said:
ironmanDX said:

Making the overall fastest person win. The point of a race. They say rubbing is racing but some people take it several levels to far and can ruin the experience.

Totally agree, but negotiating the passing and defending the position is also part of racing (even without rubbing), but sure is hard when not everyone is on it to play right...  the classification shall help.

Funny enough on the race I won the guy that was just behind me gone to last place on over 60s of penalty for wall riding.

But how can you raise your SR ranking when it goes down from people ramming you and pushing you off-road. I didn't hit anyone, still got a bad rating after the race. Kinda puts me off from playing online as now it punishes me for braking on time, which allows the person behind me to use me as his brakes and lowering my rating.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
DonFerrari said:

Totally agree, but negotiating the passing and defending the position is also part of racing (even without rubbing), but sure is hard when not everyone is on it to play right...  the classification shall help.

Funny enough on the race I won the guy that was just behind me gone to last place on over 60s of penalty for wall riding.

But how can you raise your SR ranking when it goes down from people ramming you and pushing you off-road. I didn't hit anyone, still got a bad rating after the race. Kinda puts me off from playing online as now it punishes me for braking on time, which allows the person behind me to use me as his brakes and lowering my rating.

That is the one million question... I got a 10s penalty for someone diving on my tail.

there was a race that is probably amateur level, on interlagos, there was auto brake and even so people were spinning and bumping.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Forza 7 >>>>>>>>>>>> GT RIP OFF LMAO HAHAHA

Chris Hu said:
I don't mind playing racing games online but the fuller the lobby the higher the chance the the race will turn into a destruction derby.

There just needs to be a intelligent punishment system for bad behavior.

DonFerrari said:
SvennoJ said:

That is the one million question... I got a 10s penalty for someone diving on my tail.

there was a race that is probably amateur level, on interlagos, there was auto brake and even so people were spinning and bumping.

Eww, online races that force assists?

I let my son drive with auto brake, didn't help much lol. It took him 3 laps to even notice it was braking for him. He wanted to know where the boost button was...

JRPGfan said:
Chris Hu said:
I don't mind playing racing games online but the fuller the lobby the higher the chance the the race will turn into a destruction derby.

There just needs to be a intelligent punishment system for bad behavior.

There's always the lobby system. A good host with the ability to kick people is the only really working punishment system. Perhaps you can raise you SR ranking that way. You would think it doesn't need to be that complicated. The person most distant from the correct speed and bearing on track at the time of a collision should be punished. Yet even if you see them coming in your rear mirror and go off track to avoid them, you get punished.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
I played the first and got last place cause i picked a shit car, the second race i tried i was in first and in the final lap i got disqualified, dont know why to be honest xD
I dont understand these games...

Did you go off track? I'm not accusing you, but the track online I did was Interlagos and people were shamelessly ignoring the chicane and using the service road halfway in the track. Painted green surface doesn't mean go!

Around the Network
John2290 said:
Game is great, after you realize its not a sim and much for of an updated GT take on a mix between arcade and sim then you can settle into something great. I thought the biggest compliant i'd have was the flat ass tracks lack of dynamic weather but it works pretty well, considering. However, back on topic, the bumper physics just don't work at all. I'd give it a pass if they included some kind of proximity marker for AI or other players, if even just going into corners. There is no way at all to tell where you opponent is coming from and this leads to worrying more about not getting bumped off the track than focusing on taking the corner.

Oh and I tried this with a wheel too, it's certainly not a simulation but it feels so good regardless that I'ma drop PC2 and head right into this on release for my online racing.

Please, Polyphony, add in some sort of proximity visualization. And it may be asking to much but a single player career would be brilliant. Pleeeease.

You have the mini map/radar at the bottom of screen, at least in default mode. It also darkens the edges of the screen when a car is coming into your blindspot. Otherwise keep an eye on the rearview mirror.

See we need VR, no problem with keeping track of opponents with multiple cirreclty working mirrors and simply being able to look around.

DonFerrari said:

Dear Folks, run about 5 races online with winning the first one and then being rammed on the other 4 and getting penalties for being hit from behind...

The matchmaking is very fast, and there is a classification of fairness, experience and lap time.

But even when it considers all that, because everyone starts on probably E and B on fairness and experience (depending on how they played the rest of the trial perhaps) and maybe because there weren't many racers there were lap times with over 20s of difference on classification if you didn't manage to be on the front row it's a clusterfuck on the guys ramming on you... even if sometimes they will become ghosts on bad behavior they eventually can fuck you up.

Did only have minor problems, it’s generally working very well. The key is to do a great qualifying time and than try to stay in front of the pack, cause that’s were the the better drivers are. I was actually quite surprised how well behaved people were.

John2290 said:
Game is great, after you realize its not a sim and much for of an updated GT take on a mix between arcade and sim then you can settle into something great. I thought the biggest compliant i'd have was the flat ass tracks lack of dynamic weather but it works pretty well, considering. However, back on topic, the bumper physics just don't work at all. I'd give it a pass if they included some kind of proximity marker for AI or other players, if even just going into corners. There is no way at all to tell where you opponent is coming from and this leads to worrying more about not getting bumped off the track than focusing on taking the corner.

Oh and I tried this with a wheel too, it's certainly not a simulation but it feels so good regardless that I'ma drop PC2 and head right into this on release for my online racing.

Please, Polyphony, add in some sort of proximity visualization. And it may be asking to much but a single player career would be brilliant. Pleeeease.

There actually is a radar in the HUD for that. You need to configure the MFD to show it. When driving in classic GT bumper view the left and right edges of the screen darken when an opponent is nearing. Plus use the back view!

Btw there IS a quite substantial single player career. It’s very challenging and just a different concept. I don’t mind tbh but I can see why some people miss the old style.

I tried 2 more online races. First one resulted in a black screen after matchmaking, nothing. Waited for 5 minutes then had to restart the game, not responding to anything.

Second attempt took forever for matchmaking to start, but it worked in the end. I started at pos 3 in the grid, however it was Interlagos again, ofcourse rear ended in the first chicane pushed off the track, SR down, 10 sec penalty. I climbed back to pos 2 with another two SR downs getting pushed next to the track, but I broke free of the idiots and followed nr 1 at 4 sec distance while getting rid of the penalty in the corners. The rest of the pack was 10 sec behind me. Luckily you get SR up events for every clean sector, so I thought my ranking should be positive... Still a red B at the end... There were some Cs in there as well, and people finishing with 20 sec penalty time. Only pole position that escaped the starting mess had a blue B.

This game will live or die on how fast PD can separate the destruction derby drivers from people that actually want to race.

SvennoJ said:
I tried 2 more online races. First one resulted in a black screen after matchmaking, nothing. Waited for 5 minutes then had to restart the game, not responding to anything.

Second attempt took forever for matchmaking to start, but it worked in the end. I started at pos 3 in the grid, however it was Interlagos again, ofcourse rear ended in the first chicane pushed off the track, SR down, 10 sec penalty. I climbed back to pos 2 with another two SR downs getting pushed next to the track, but I broke free of the idiots and followed nr 1 at 4 sec distance while getting rid of the penalty in the corners. The rest of the pack was 10 sec behind me. Luckily you get SR up events for every clean sector, so I thought my ranking should be positive... Still a red B at the end... There were some Cs in there as well, and people finishing with 20 sec penalty time. Only pole position that escaped the starting mess had a blue B.

This game will live or die on how fast PD can separate the destruction derby drivers from people that actually want to race.

^ yes.