By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What are you willing to sacrifice for 60 FPS or higher?

What do you prefer?

Framerate 139 62.05%

Resolution 48 21.43%

Other 37 16.52%

Total:224
Pemalite said:
VGPolyglot said:

How is that false? When I change the resolution of my computer to something higher than my monitor, nothing shows up.

Then you are doing it wrong.

What? How? The monitor can't process a resolution higher than its max, simple as that.

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
Pemalite said:

What? How? The monitor can't process a resolution higher than its max, simple as that.

We aren't asking your monitor to process a resolution higher than it was designed for, you can achieve it in your GPU drivers, your GPU does the scaling.

There is a reason why Xbox One X and Playstation 4 Pro users see benefits to running at higher than 1080P on their 1080P panels.
It also has another term attributed to it... It is called Super Sampling, the more you know.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

I suppose a lower p, like 720p over 1080p. I don't really understand the different terms, like resolution, framerates, etc. I'm not very picky when it comes to game's presentation and performance, as long the game plays well.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

VGPolyglot said:
Pemalite said:

I can render games at 8k (not well) and I only have a 4k screen.
You don't get the full advantage of 8k, but it is still better than 4k by far.

caffeinade said:
VGPolyglot said:

I run Overwatch at 4k on my 1440P display, it is nice, clean and crisp.
Obviously not as great as running it on a 4k display, but it's hard to argue against the benefits it brings either way.

My next panel though will be a 5k display... Or Quad QuadHD, jumping over 4k entirely.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
caffeinade said:
VGPolyglot said:

Pemalite said:
caffeinade said:

Obviously not as great as running it on a 4k display, but it's hard to argue against the benefits it brings either way.

My next panel though will be a 5k display... Or Quad QuadHD, jumping over 4k entirely.

Yeah, you guys do have a much different mindset from me. I only had a CRT TV to use for my consoles until mid-2014, when my aunt and uncle gave me their HD TV that they had. I don't plan on updating for a while either!

Pemalite said:
caffeinade said:

Probably for the best, 4k is not enough, but 5 or 8k with decent AA will likely be the maximum I dare to go for a single screen (VR not included).

Absolutely nothing. Do I prefer HFR over resolution? Sure. But I'm completely fine with playing games at 30fps and I'm content with how most games run at their respective frame rates.

Frame rate won't ever be standard on consoles, there's nothing that suggests this. However, with the advent of next generation consoles, and a significant step up in CPU performance, we can expect even more games to run at 60fps.

Remasters this generation were expected to bring visual enhancements as well as a more responsive, consistent framerate, some did, but there was still a high number of remasters that failed to deliver on this. I think it's mostly because we didn't see a substantial jump in CPU capability this gen.

Looks like its got more to do with age than anything. Older players tend to not care about framerates or resolution, but the younger players in their mid-to-late teens do.

caffeinade said:
CrazyGamer2017 said:

Well if the future of Nintendo is decided by people who lower their standards gen after gen then I fear that you might be right: There may never be a home system by that company again. Also the rest of the industry seems to steer towards norms (1080p, 4K, 60fps etc.) It seems strange to me that Nintendo is the only one that does not go that way. It's of course good news for the company as it means no need to invest money in advancing components and technology, just work on different concepts and voilà, people will flock to you. But as a consumer who wants a decent product, I am not too happy about this turn of events.

I'll cross fingers and hope one day to play BOTW on some future home system that will do justice to the new generations of televisions but if not then, I will have to send my divorce papers for Nintendo to sign them

Nintendo are keeping both the house and the kids; I hope you understand that.

I disagree there. The majority of Switch owners are adult males.

Kids these days aren't interested in Mario, Zelda or even Pokemon... they want Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto.

RJTM1991 said:

Looks like its got more to do with age than anything. Older players tend to not care about framerates or resolution, but the younger players in their mid-to-late teens do.

caffeinade said:

Nintendo are keeping both the house and the kids; I hope you understand that.

I disagree there. The majority of Switch owners are adult males.

Kids these days aren't interested in Mario, Zelda or even Pokemon... they want Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto.

Nintendo's children, is a term that could be applied to Nintendo's IP.